GGB housing

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I am getting a Green Bottle Blue on Friday , it's a Juvenile. What size housing will it need ? As they are abit skittish , ideally I'd like to house it in something where it wouldn't need rehousing again ?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Depending on the DLS, GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens), can be kept in larger enclosures than needed, so in general, yes, you can keep it in its adult enclosure.
A Kritter Keeper works fine, dry (really dry!) substrate, a waterdish and lots of fake leaves and branches as anchors for their webbing castles.
First T?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Depending on the DLS, GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens), can be kept in larger enclosures than needed, so in general, yes, you can keep it in its adult enclosure.
A Kritter Keeper works fine, dry (really dry!) substrate, a waterdish and lots of fake leaves and branches as anchors for their webbing castles.
First T?
I also have a Chile Flame , Red Leg , and a Chile Rose Sling . Only had to rehome my Chile Rose . Which was easy.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I also have a Chile Flame , Red Leg , and a Chile Rose Sling . Only had to rehome my Chile Rose . Which was easy.
Please try to use scientific names. Common names are confusing, and can vary from one country/one city/one petshop to another.
So i think you have a Euathlus sp. Red/Fire, a B.boehmei/emilia, and G.rosea/porteri?

runCMD

Arachnopeon
Please try to use scientific names. Common names are confusing, and can vary from one country/one city/one petshop to another.
So i think you have a Euathlus sp. Red/Fire, a B.boehmei/emilia, and G.rosea/porteri?
With the scientific names getting swapped and changed as much they are almost just as confusing! ;)

Deb60

Arachnosquire
With the scientific names getting swapped and changed as much they are almost just as confusing! ;)
It's harder to remember the Latin names , my daughter tends to use them , she's been keeping them longer than me . Whilst she does know the common names as well . When I've been out with her to buy spiders very often a lot of people don't know what she's talking about if not using the common names . If you can remember it's properly best to use both in my opinion .

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
It's harder to remember the Latin names , my daughter tends to use them , she's been keeping them longer than me . Whilst she does know the common names as well . When I've been out with her to buy spiders very often a lot of people don't know what she's talking about if not using the common names . If you can remember it's properly best to use both in my opinion .
Honestly if the people you are doing business with do not know the proper name of the tarantula they are selling, you should question buying one from them. At least question the information they do give you regarding keeping the T.

btw: I will cheat and make a list until I get the proper name straight.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Honestly if the people you are doing business with do not know the proper name of the tarantula they are selling, you should question buying one from them. At least question the information they do give you regarding keeping the T.

btw: I will cheat and make a list until I get the proper name straight.
^^^^ this!
If you're buying from LPS, and staff doesn't know scientific names, then don't buy anything they say about T's.
Very good your daughter knows the real names, kudos!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Yes, but my "Red Leg" is a B. smithi or is it B. hamorii? Then again I think it is currently a B annitha :wacky:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
But what if my tarantula has 4 red legs and 4 blue legs? What do I call it?

To the OP: do you know the specific size of the GBB you're getting?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Yes, but my "Red Leg" is a B. smithi or is it B. hamorii? Then again I think it is currently a B annitha :wacky:
I'm not going to remember all of the Latin names but what if done is to put both names actually on the set ups i.e. Euathlus sp red so if I what to talk on this site about them from now on I will use both names .

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'm not going to remember all of the Latin names but what if done is to put both names actually on the set ups i.e. Euathlus sp red so if I what to talk on this site about them from now on I will use both names .
It can seem overwhelming when you first start to use them but it actually becomes much easier after you see them used. Most people will just list the first letter of the genus (first name: Euathlus, Brachypelma, etc.) and then spell out the species (second name: sp. red, smithi, rosea etc.) So they just say E. sp red, B. smithi, G. rosea, etc.

You may want to post a picture of your "Red Leg" to get help on the actual species for it. Unfortunately right now they are in the process of renaming a couple species after some scientific studies have determined a need for corrections. That is what I was joking about in my post.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It can seem overwhelming when you first start to use them but it actually becomes much easier after you see them used. Most people will just list the first letter of the genus (first name: Euathlus, Brachypelma, etc.) and then spell out the species (second name: sp. red, smithi, rosea etc.) So they just say E. sp red, B. smithi, G. rosea, etc.

You may want to post a picture of your "Red Leg" to get help on the actual species for it. Unfortunately right now they are in the process of renaming a couple species after some scientific studies have determined a need for corrections. That is what I was joking about in my post.
It is only smithi/hamorii/annitha ('red knee') who are being revised. 'red leg' is usually the common name of emilia or boehmei ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
It is only smithi/hamorii/annitha ('red knee') who are being revised. 'red leg' is usually the common name of emilia or boehmei ;)
I have to disagree with you on that. Petco called my B. smithi (which may be B. annitha or B. hamorii) a "Red Leg".

EDIT* ^^^^^^ WRONG

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I have to disagree with you on that. Petco called my B. smithi (which may be B. annitha or B. hamorii) a "Red Leg".
Okay. I apologize. I will have to correct myself. I would swear they called it a "Red Leg", but just checked my original thread where I mentioned it and found it was "Red Knee". But the knee is part of the leg so what gives here:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky: The solution: Don't buy from Petco.

EDIT* I feed so embarrassed that I don't know common names NOT :D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Okay. I apologize. I will have to correct myself. I would swear they called it a "Red Leg", but just checked my original thread where I mentioned it and found it was "Red Knee". But the knee is part of the leg so what gives here:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky: The solution: Don't buy from Petco.

EDIT* I feed so embarrassed that I don't know common names NOT :D
No apologies needed friend ;)
This just serves as a perfect example why common names (and Petco :D) are crap and confusing.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Okay - Negate my past posts in this thread, but I do still advise that you post a picture to confirm which species you own. My posts show the exact reason why you should.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
No apologies needed friend ;)
This just serves as a perfect example why common names (and Petco :D) are crap and confusing.
I'm not sure how to post a picture on the site ( I'm an old girl of 56 Lol) but I did look at some books , which showed a pic of my T and it did say Brechypelma Emilia , which my daughter confirmed with me .

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'm not sure how to post a picture on the site ( I'm an old girl of 56 Lol) but I did look at some books , which showed a pic of my T and it did say Brechypelma Emilia , which my daughter confirmed with me .
That is plenty good enough. You want to be confident of what you own.:)