Getting started

cold blood

Staff member
Pulchripes are great slings to raise, and even at small sizes they are good eaters and as a result, they can grow fairly quickly when small, although they slow as they gain size (like they all do).

Definitely dont discount a sling and definitely dont use an enclosure that size for anything but an adult....even for an adult, i would go with something with less height or you will be adding massive amounts of sub.

under 1", they can be kept in a condiment cup

from there a 16oz deli cup is ideal till about 3"

you picked an excellent species to start with.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I contacted the people at Tarantula canada last night and they said they have grammostola pulchripes but they wont be ready to check sex till next month or the month after that they are about 1.5 inch, i think i might just wait till then, unless of course i find what im looking for at the expo, on a side note if i do end up getting a tiny sling where do i get food for it? non of the stores around me sell anything smaller than a meal worm, do they eat meal worms?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I contacted the people at Tarantula canada last night and they said they have grammostola pulchripes but they wont be ready to check sex till next month or the month after that they are about 1.5 inch, i think i might just wait till then, unless of course i find what im looking for at the expo, on a side note if i do end up getting a tiny sling where do i get food for it? non of the stores around me sell anything smaller than a meal worm, do they eat meal worms?
Yes they will take mealworms, if they are too large cut them in half, make sure you always pre kill for your small slings, mealworms like to burrow into the substrate. You don't want them to get lost and munch your T when it's molting. Another good option for feeders are crickets, I'm sure you know where to find them if you own reptiles.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Yes they will take mealworms, if they are too large cut them in half, make sure you always pre kill for your small slings, mealworms like to burrow into the substrate. You don't want them to get lost and munch your T when it's molting. Another good option for feeders are crickets, I'm sure you know where to find them if you own reptiles.
:) ok cool, i keep mealworms and superwomrs already for my Beardie. Crickets tend to stink up the place lol

TRection

Arachnoknight
In the likely chance i dont end up finding a grammostola pulchripes, any other suggestions for a starter with about the same size and temperament?

Haemus

Arachnosquire
In the likely chance i dont end up finding a grammostola pulchripes, any other suggestions for a starter with about the same size and temperament?
I would keep a contact on TC, and once they sex their slings, see if you can reserve one. I've bought a few Ts from them and they're very accommodating.

G. pulchra is my top recommendation outside of the G. pulchripes, just more expensive/rare. I'd toss the B. smithi as a beginner one too. Since you're not new to exotic pets, I'd even consider the L. parahybana or A. geniculata.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I would keep a contact on TC, and once they sex their slings, see if you can reserve one. I've bought a few Ts from them and they're very accommodating.

G. pulchra is my top recommendation outside of the G. pulchripes, just more expensive/rare. I'd toss the B. smithi as a beginner one too. Since you're not new to exotic pets, I'd even consider the L. parahybana or A. geniculata.
I was literally just researching the L. Parahybana would you happen to have any more knowledge on them? from what im reading they get fairly large and are very easy to take care of.

cold blood

Staff member
I was literally just researching the L. Parahybana would you happen to have any more knowledge on them? from what im reading they get fairly large and are very easy to take care of.
All beginner species are easy to take care of.

Their size reports tend to be greatly exaggerrated...theyre no bigger than dozens of species that all look much much better.

TRection

Arachnoknight
All beginner species are easy to take care of.

Their size reports tend to be greatly exaggerrated...theyre no bigger than dozens of species that all look much much better.
As long as i end up with around 7-8" ill be happy but what is their temperament like? do they kick alot or bite or anything like that?

cold blood

Staff member
As long as i end up with around 7-8" ill be happy but what is their temperament like? do they kick alot or bite or anything like that?
its all individual variance...but some can be skittish or defensive...others are calm.

A. geniculata or N. chromatus are, IMO, significantly better choices and are nearly as dirt cheap as slings. Nothing wrong with an LP though if thats what you like....just keep in mind that 7-8" terrestrials are not exactly uncommon....theres many that get as big or bigger than LP.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Also keep in mind there are literally dozens of beautiful beginer T's. Dont turn a blind eye to other options.

TRection

Arachnoknight
its all individual variance...but some can be skittish or defensive...others are calm.

A. geniculata or N. chromatus are, IMO, significantly better choices and are nearly as dirt cheap as slings. Nothing wrong with an LP though if thats what you like....just keep in mind that 7-8" terrestrials are not exactly uncommon....theres many that get as big or bigger than LP.
wow the A. geniculata is a beauty! thanks for the info, this is all new to me so this is all helpful :)

Haemus

Arachnosquire
They're not the one foot monsters that the internet may claim, but they are bulkier than the grammostolas.

They're very easy to care for. My sister's first was an Lp sling, and she had no issues. Essentially the same husbandry as the G. pulchripes, but with a bit more moisture as slings.

If you're considering the Lp, I would go with the A. geniculata instead. Much more striking coloring IMO and still on the cheaper side. Picked up this girl at the last reptile expo for 50 bucks :)
DSC_4550.jpg

TRection

Arachnoknight
They're not the one foot monsters that the internet may claim, but they are bulkier than the grammostolas.

They're very easy to care for. My sister's first was an Lp sling, and she had no issues. Essentially the same husbandry as the G. pulchripes, but with a bit more moisture as slings.

If you're considering the Lp, I would go with the A. geniculata instead. Much more striking coloring IMO and still on the cheaper side. Picked up this girl at the last reptile expo for 50 bucks :)
View attachment 237483
thats an amazing color, do they have the same type of temperaments as LPs? or are they more aggressive, i know its all individual but im speaking statistically :)

TRection

Arachnoknight
as i said before im really new to all this so any help i can get i will greatly appreciate, when it comes down to it im looking to a big T with nice coloring and a calm docile temperament, and i really dont know what my options are lol

Haemus

Arachnosquire
thats an amazing color, do they have the same type of temperaments as LPs? or are they more aggressive, i know its all individual but im speaking statistically :)
They're probably the same level of temperament. That said, each individual T goes through varied bouts of docility and defensive behavior. Currently, my A. genic is much more defensive than my sister's Lp, but not as much as my B. smithi lol