Getting started

TRection

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone, im new to the forum and the hobby itself, i visited the pet expo in my city for the first time a few weeks ago and the tarantula booth really caught my eye. I own lizards, snakes and also a scorpion in the passed but i have always wanted a tarantula. I spoke in depth with the people at the booth and from then on the idea stuck with me to finally get one. I have done my research and already have a tank set up. I have my mind set on a grammostola pulchripes, i like the size, the colors and have been reading nothing but good things about this species. But now i have just one problem. WHERE THE HECK DO I GET ONE! :D

so far i have only come across 2 sites that have them online but both of them are only selling spiderlings and as my first tarantula i dont trust myself to start of with a baby, Im looking for at least 3" female grammostola pulchripes, im probably asking for too much as im sure the bigger they are the harder it is to find for sale. That being said would anyone mind helping me out with regards on where to get one as well as any tips for beginners? Thank you for any information i can get :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
haha good luck. ive only ever seen slings for sale. youd have the best luck at a expo or checking local kijiji. slings are very simple to care for, dont let their size scare you off.

TRection

Arachnoknight
haha good luck. ive only ever seen slings for sale. youd have the best luck at a expo or checking local kijiji. slings are very simple to care for, dont let their size scare you off.
Its not only the size im worried about its the gender, when it comes down to it one that is just old enough to be sexed will be fine with me too, I want a female because i want it for the long haul. its a shame males die so fast after becoming fully grown or else this would be a non-issue lol

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Adult NWs are rare to come by from what ive seen. I started with a sling, they can be painfully boring as a first T but as venom says easier to care for than people think, especially a hardy NW like a G. pulchripes.

Check Kelly Swift inverts, Anastasia at net-bug, Paul at petcenter, Kenthebugguy, Jamies tarantulas, many more US breeders online. You may not get the exact species you want but there is certainly a selection. Besides, maybe youll get lucky and get a freebie if you mentioned it, my red form rosie was a freebie sling.

All of the above I have bought from personally and have always had great experiences. Can always check the forums here also, just harder to judge character.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Adult NWs are rare to come by from what ive seen. I started with a sling, they can be painfully boring as a first T but as venom says easier to care for than people think, especially a hardy NW like a G. pulchripes.

Check Kelly Swift inverts, Anastasia at net-bug, Paul at petcenter, Kenthebugguy, Jamies tarantulas, many more US breeders online. You may not get the exact species you want but there is certainly a selection. Besides, maybe youll get lucky and get a freebie if you mentioned it, my red form rosie was a freebie sling.

All of the above I have bought from personally and have always had great experiences. Can always check the forums here also, just harder to judge character.
Cool ill check them out :) thanks

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek

OP is in Canada, he cant legally buy from US sellers and have them shipped to his door.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Was it the Pet Expo in Mississauga? If so, I know that Tarantula Canada didn't attend, and like @Venom1080 said, you'll have better luck at the reptile expo near York University in May.

Until then, I would contact other Canadian dealers who will attend to see what their future stock is. They may have some G. pulchripes imports coming soon.

And don't sleep on the slings. Buy a few, and it'll be a long haul before they mature if they're male :)

TRection

Arachnoknight
Was it the Pet Expo in Mississauga? If so, I know that Tarantula Canada didn't attend, and like @Venom1080 said, you'll have better luck at the reptile expo near York University in May.

Until then, I would contact other Canadian dealers who will attend to see what their future stock is. They may have some G. pulchripes imports coming soon.

And don't sleep on the slings. Buy a few, and it'll be a long haul before they mature if they're male :)
Sounds great, ill have to head down to york U in may then, not too far of a drive for me anyways :) thanks for the help

Devin B

Arachnobaron
My first T was a sling, their care isnt so bad at all. I think you should get one. If you are worried about the gender then you could just buy 3 slings. It'll most likely be cheaper than a 3" confirmed female, and you will have agood chance at getting a female. Also you will get addicted and probably end up with more than one T anyway, like the rest of us lol.

TRection

Arachnoknight
My first T was a sling, their care isnt so bad at all. I think you should get one. If you are worried about the gender then you could just buy 3 slings. It'll most likely be cheaper than a 3" confirmed female, and you will have agood chance at getting a female. Also you will get addicted and probably end up with more than one T anyway, like the rest of us lol.
LOL thats probably whats going to end up happening, Im looking forward to the reptile expo next month now!, on a side note would anyone mind giving me tips for a Grammostola pulchripes? My tank is 12x12x12 with about 5" deep coconut fiber substrate and a couple of hides as well as some plants. I also have a shallow water dish i put some glass pebbles in to stop any drowning. Am i missing anything else?

Devin B

Arachnobaron
LOL thats probably whats going to end up happening, Im looking forward to the reptile expo next month now!, on a side note would anyone mind giving me tips for a Grammostola pulchripes? My tank is 12x12x12 with about 5" deep coconut fiber substrate and a couple of hides as well as some plants. I also have a shallow water dish i put some glass pebbles in to stop any drowning. Am i missing anything else?
I dont know what size T you're going to get, but a 12X12X12 would good for an adult tarantula. If you plan on getting a 1" spiderling however I would recommend using a deli cup. I have a B. Smithi sling that I literally have in a nacho cheese cup from taco bell. Tarantulas require very little space.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I dont know what size T you're going to get, but a 12X12X12 would good for an adult tarantula. If you plan on getting a 1" spiderling however I would recommend using a deli cup. I have a B. Smithi sling that I literally have in a nacho cheese cup from taco bell. Tarantulas require very little space.
XD oh no! there better be larger ones at the expo then cuz i made the tank look so nice LOL unless i can find somewhere online that sells them

TRection

Arachnoknight
No sponge! They are a breeding ground for bacteria. Also Tarantula can float on top of the water so its very unlikly that one will drown.
Oh, well thats great to hear :) ...might still keep the rocks though, not gunna lie they look nice.