Getting scorps to eat

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping inverts for awhile, just recently started keeping T's, but I also picked up a Vaejovis Spinnigerus a few days ago at an expo. Now my experience so far with this scorpion has been similar to my experiences with the native striped bark scorps I've had in the past. Always hiding and if they encounter prey tend to run away even if it's much smaller. Now that's how this one's been going and I'm left wondering if it's just not settled, if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's something I'm missing. How do you feed scorpions who hide under things constantly and get stressed if you remove the hide? Feeding B. Dubia doesn't make it any easier with their tendency to burrow 20170410_223413.jpg

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had that issue with veajovis carolinianus. I switched to crickets and just leave them in there for them to hunt themselves, and now they eat fine.

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been keeping inverts for awhile, just recently started keeping T's, but I also picked up a Vaejovis Spinnigerus a few days ago at an expo. Now my experience so far with this scorpion has been similar to my experiences with the native striped bark scorps I've had in the past. Always hiding and if they encounter prey tend to run away even if it's much smaller. Now that's how this one's been going and I'm left wondering if it's just not settled, if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's something I'm missing. How do you feed scorpions who hide under things constantly and get stressed if you remove the hide? Feeding B. Dubia doesn't make it any easier with their tendency to burrow View attachment 236681
I'd probably keep it on sand or sand/coco husk mix. How often do you try to feed it? Scorps tend to take breaks from eating for periods of time.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
All my scorps are very different

Yours could be pre molt. Gravid. Non suitable temps in enclosure. Or just simply not hungry. When they are hungry they will absolutely eat. But how they will eat will all vary

Personally my scorpions DO NOT TOUCH roaches. They don't respond to them.only to crickets so far.
And they all eat differently

My Rhopalurus Junceus scorpling will actuslly almost play dead in front of me. I have video of me trying to feed him and he plays dead. He curls up and won't budge! No matter how much i nudge his tail or a back leg he will not move if I'm messing with him... freaked me out at first. But I left 2 baby crickets in there and an hour later he munched on both.

My P Transvaalicus and hottentotta jayakari. Will attack and sting instantly everytime I feed if not in pre molt.

They're all different

If it won't eat in front of you. Leave a cricket in its enclosure for an hour or so Remove the hide. So it can easily find the cricket and see if that works. Leave him on a dark space too

Naturally they are better eaters in the dark. I put a dubia in a C Gracilis enclosure. 2 weeks later one of the scorps found him and snacked on it over night. Only time I've seen 2 eat a roach

Last edited:

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
You should keep your Spinigerus in a more arid condition, looks a bit damp. They like to burrow in sand and under rocks, at high temps 80' plus degrees. Nice healthy looking guy, I would leave a couple crickets in the en-closer like the others said, let them take the prey on their time.
This species is one I would like to get in the near future, plus they are communal.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
More sand and dryness needed in that enclosure.

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice guys, didn't occur to me that scorps might just refuse roaches. Will also adjust parameters and try crickets a few days after

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've never had crickets refused but have had mixed results with roaches and mealworms.

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
Hopefully this is good, Im sure this guy is getting tired of being rehoused haha. Anyway, what do you guys think of this? The substrate is a mix of coco fiber and black aquarium sand I had from a few years back, with wood to create hiding spots and a hight gradient 20170413_163748.jpg 20170413_163758.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@VoiletVenom Do not remove the hide. All that will do is stress it out and lessen the chances tremendously that it will eat.

Use Crickets. Almost nothing refuses Crickets, even the most stubborn of eaters. Unless they are fasting or in pre-molt then they will take Crickets.

Leave the Cricket in for a few hours. If it is hungry it will sense the vibrations of the prey and come after it.