Getting Rid of Excess Feeders

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
I only have one sling and been feeding FFF, mini mealworms and bean weevils. I also had red runners.
Other than freezing and killing and disposing off, how do any of you get rid of or pass on excess feeders. I'm almost overwhelmed by bean weevils at this point (would love to give them away but can't find anywhere).

This is in UK, Europe

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycooks1

Arachnopeon
Not sure of the rules in UK but i used to sell my extra feeders to local pet store and fishing bait store

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Contact other hobbyists in your area. People that keep spiders, reptiles, amphibians, other inverts, are in need of feeders all the time. You never know who may need a culture of ffs.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Most people don't breed feeders unless they have like 30 spiders for this reason. Post an ad on the good ol C-List and people will buy them.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I knew at least one person would mention this...sadly, not an option. And even if it was...I have enough feeders to feed an entire zoo at this point.
If more T's isn't an option, maybe get a couple lizards (anoles, for example) or geckos (like leopard geckos) - they will eat daily as opposed to the T's that eat much less frequently. Or try to hook up with a local herp club to see if any of the members would be interested in taking some. My reptiles eat considerably more of my Dubia colony than the T's do.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Freezing them and disposing of them has been the easiest option, I used to sell my excess roaches but between having to buy shipping supplies and having to deal with all the blaggers/time-wasters in the UK hobby I just can't be arsed anymore.

Not sure of the rules in UK but i used to sell my extra feeders to local pet store and fishing bait store
They usually don't like to go outside of their suppliers here, tried offloading a bunch to my local pet store and they weren't interested.

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
I haven't been able to find a local herp/invertebrate group even when asking on FB....I'd be happy to give them away

I didn't intentionally breed feeders but bean weevils came as a culture so they are just prolific...popular with my sling though.

Fruit fly culture was pretty much done so froze the last few before discarded.

I don't breed the red runners but they haven't been popular with my sling as it is an arboreal and hides and they don't climb much (or seem to) so was just wanting to find a place who might take them.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Give em to someone who has chickens. When my dubia colony gets out of hand I take them to my moms 6 chickens and watch them go crazy pecking and eating them.

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
If more T's isn't an option, maybe get a couple lizards (anoles, for example) or geckos (like leopard geckos) - they will eat daily as opposed to the T's that eat much less frequently. Or try to hook up with a local herp club to see if any of the members would be interested in taking some. My reptiles eat considerably more of my Dubia colony than the T's do.
Guess what...I am more living proof that you can't have just one (like Pringles). Wanted something that would eat the red runners so picked up a 1 inch Curly Hair. I didn't think I liked them that much but then I saw a sub-adult in a store and actually really liked how it looked better in person than from photos. I didn't get the adult but the next store I found had some slings. While they've got some other intereting stuff coming in ...the guy I talked to seemed to know nothing about some of the Ts they were selling or had coming in (like the P. metallica doesn't bite etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

Peloquin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I give my excess roaches to a small pet shop. It means the girl who owns it can feed her animals for free now and again, hopefully increasing her profits.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Also that Ts will eat coco substrate and it will kill them :meh: This wasn't just a pet store...this was a Tarantula pet store (along with reptiles)
What a load of junk lol. I've kept a lot on cocofiber substrate for years. One specifically for 7 years, never a single issue. Lol

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
if your a fisherman those feeders would be perfect to use for catching bait fish(shad or minnows) and getting a school of panfish feeding all crazy which can also be used for bass or catfish bait or fillets in a frying pan

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
if your a fisherman those feeders would be perfect to use for catching bait fish(shad or minnows) and getting a school of panfish feeding all crazy which can also be used for bass or catfish bait or fillets in a frying pan
Speaking of fishermen, did you ever go fishing at Echo Park? I lived in LA for a while and went there every so often. 🤘

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Speaking of fishermen, did you ever go fishing at Echo Park? I lived in LA for a while and went there every so often. 🤘
i did years ago when that area was really ghetto and the gangs were out of control but its cleaned up some now calmed down alot