Getting ready to breed h maculata

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Iv been looking and I cannot find a price on these anywhere. If the breeding goes good and I sell them as unsexed 2nd instar what would be a reasonable price. Also how do I know when the male has made a sperm web. He has been slightly more active but he hasn't started pacing around the cage.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good luck with the breeding! I have a female H. mac I am hoping to breed when she gets a little bigger.
At 1" the selling price would be around $20. For 2nd instar I would guess maybe $12.
To tell if the male has made a sperm web, check the cage daily for a large mat of web that has been torn down.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well the thing is it's kind of hard to see were a web used to be because this male is a huge webber and has the entire cage webed from floor to ceiling. Thanks for the price also I could only find how much to sell them in pounds or euros or something

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are so many AB members in Michigan. Anyone notice that? Maybe it's because there are no tarantulas in the northern area of the U.S.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Also the female hasn't eaten in a while. Should I still go through with breeding if she doesn't eat.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are so many AB members in Michigan. Anyone notice that? Maybe it's because there are no tarantulas in the northern area of the U.S.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Also the female hasn't eaten in a while. Should I still go through with breeding if she doesn't eat.
1.) Yeah, all by Detroit though. :/
2.) I've never bred, but I wouldn't--might be an upcoming molt.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't, you want her to be very well fed before you try to breed so that there is less of a risk to the male.

About the sperm web, I'm not sure how you could tell if he is a heavy webber. Hopefully you catch him in the act of making it.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Is it a mature male?
I dont know what that dollar amount converts to, but WC adults/sub adults were going for £20 online if that helps.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She is so skinny I don't know why she won't eat. But I will wait if that's what it takes. It's been a week and five days since the male molted mature. If I don't see the web then I'll probably mate him Friday.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She is so skinny I don't know why she won't eat. But I will wait if that's what it takes. It's been a week and five days since the male molted mature. If I don't see the web then I'll probably mate him Friday.
Did the female have a successful molt? Maybe something went weird with her fangs? I wouldn't mate until she's eaten.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did the female have a successful molt? Maybe something went weird with her fangs? I wouldn't mate until she's eaten.
No the molt was perfect. I was able to watch most of it. Even my cobalt blue that had such a bad molt it's legs were all sideways and her abdomen was leaking but she ate before she died.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's the way I was feeding her. Most times when I fed her she would get startled and be more afraid of the food.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Males will make a sperm web roughly 2 weeks after their ultimate molt. So that sounds like good timing.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's been 3 weeks since he molted. I think he made a sperm web but I don't know for sure. MM h mac owners: how do your mm h macs act after they made a sperm web?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I suspected mine had matured, I pulled out all his webbing to fish him out, confirmed he had, tossed him back into his webless container, found the balled up remains of his sperm web sometime later, then he webbed back up his corner & comes out every so often.

Honestly he's only slightly more active then before he matured.

If it helps, remove all your male's webbing & set his home next to your female. Should make things a bit more clear.