Getting ready for a Sicarius sp.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'm planning to eventually get one of these guys. I haven't kept many true spiders, so I'm wondering what species would be good to prepare me for this genus. I haven't kept any hot species either, so should that be a prerequisite (say a couple Lactrodectus spp.)?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
For Sicarius? Maybe a huntsman species? They are very fast, but can't climb smooth surfaces. If you have experience with any fast T's or scorps, they are much harder to contain. As long as the sides are tall on your cage, you should do fine with any Sicarius. Just don't put your hand in there, it's pretty simple :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all honesty I doubt. A genus Latrodectus, no matter which one, and those, are like Night and Day. Aside for their powerful venom (a thing you already know about) they are easy to care and not defensive at all.

They are fast, however.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
For Sicarius? Maybe a huntsman species? They are very fast, but can't climb smooth surfaces. If you have experience with any fast T's or scorps, they are much harder to contain. As long as the sides are tall on your cage, you should do fine with any Sicarius. Just don't put your hand in there, it's pretty simple :D
I've kept Cuppienus salei (granted I was 12) and Holconia immanis. I haven't had much luck keeping scorpions alive (with the exception of those I have now), but I've had a good five or so years of experience with fast Ts.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Trust me, fast T's are much harder to keep than a Sicarius sp. They may be fast, but are very reluctant to bite and can't climb smooth surfaces. Keep them on straight play sand and high walls and you are set. Super easy. It's not like an S. cal where speed, venom potency, and husbandry are all top level concerns. They are some of the easiest to care for, just don't put it anywhere near your body parts ;)

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keeping Latrodectus is nothing like keeping Sicarius, it's like comparing apples to magnets lol.

They're very easy to keep, yes, but I'm sure you're aware the margin for error is really nonexistant. They're kind of their own thing, no other spiders are really like them.

You could keep some Loxosceles species first I guess, they're very closely related taxonomically, venom wise, and to a minor degree, behaviorally.

If you have any questions about them, Loxosceles or Sicarius, feel free to ask.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I agree that there is zero room for error when working with a Sicarius. Transferring from one enclosure to another is a tricky affair and sometimes an anxiety filled experience for me as they are super fast.

ERIC cotter

Arachnopeon
I doubt you really need a pre-rec species to get experience with first, these guys a pretty simple and safe to care for. Yeah, they're very fast, but can't climb around plastic/glass enclosures, so escape isn't a concern unless you need to move it, which is simple enough if you've ever rehoused quick species before. As for the venom, I wouldn't be too worried, the danger is more of a "what-if it DID bite you?" I imagine it would be painful and pretty serious but the circumstances you'd have to be in to get it to bite seem pretty out there, honestly, and as far as I've read, there's only been one reported fatality from a bite, which was not officially documented and not considered a totally viable report (if anyone has more info, feel free to correct me). I really like these guys, I'll probably pick up another one to replace the one I had to give up not long ago due to being hospitalized.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt you really need a pre-rec species to get experience with first, these guys a pretty simple and safe to care for. Yeah, they're very fast, but can't climb around plastic/glass enclosures, so escape isn't a concern unless you need to move it, which is simple enough if you've ever rehoused quick species before. As for the venom, I wouldn't be too worried, the danger is more of a "what-if it DID bite you?" I imagine it would be painful and pretty serious but the circumstances you'd have to be in to get it to bite seem pretty out there, honestly, and as far as I've read, there's only been one reported fatality from a bite, which was not officially documented and not considered a totally viable report (if anyone has more info, feel free to correct me). I really like these guys, I'll probably pick up another one to replace the one I had to give up not long ago due to being hospitalized.
I'd do a bit of research on their venom ;)

basin79

ArachnoGod
There's absolutely no need for a "stepping stone" spider. And I bloody hate that term.

Sicarius are extremely easy to care for and deal with. They can't climb smooth surfaces so there's absolutely no problem with taking the lid off to feed or remove dead prey. Transferring them is just a case for putting a tub in them them on its side then gently encouraging the spider to move into it.

And inch or so of sand and............ that's it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As for the venom, I wouldn't be too worried, the danger is more of a "what-if it DID bite you?" I imagine it would be painful and pretty serious but the circumstances you'd have to be in to get it to bite seem pretty out there, honestly, and as far as I've read, there's only been one reported fatality from a bite, which was not officially documented and not considered a totally viable report (if anyone has more info, feel free to correct me).
- Talking about their venom potency ony.

IMO (while obviously still a debatable issue) their venom is powerful enough for kill someone or for damage, permanently, someone for life.
They are brutal on that sense.

basin79

ArachnoGod
- Talking about their venom potency ony.

IMO (while obviously still a debatable issue) their venom is powerful enough for kill someone or for damage, permanently, someone for life.
They are brutal on that sense.
Definitely a spider worth getting up for to grab those tongs you thought you had to hand when removing dead prey items.

Although you'd be hard pushed for a Sicarius to actually bite you. They're not defensive at all.

But, better to be safe than dead. Or better to be safe than lose a hand/arm.