Getting more additions, but there is a problem

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I am going to be ordering several E. Sp. yellow slings as well as more E. Sp. red, but I have room for two more tarantulas and I narrowed it down to four:

Ephebopus cyanognathus (pretty sure I massacred the spelling)

Brachypelma hamorii

Caribena versicolor

Avicularia urticans (pretty sure that is spelled wrong also)

I also thought about going into OW terrestrials with a P. murinus, so really there are five.

My original plan was 2 C. Versicolors.

Help me decide Fellow hobbiests.

P.S: I have owned a C. versicolor before that died as a sling, but I know exactly what I did wrong (no more using pill vile arboreal enclosures).

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Slings, juveniles, adults/sub adults, which are you looking at picking up?
Spelling was on target btw

Timc

Arachnosquire
That's tough. I'd go with the versi and the hamorii, personally, because they're on my list too. The E. cyanognathus is rad and beautiful, but tends to be a pet hole. 0 experience with the urticans, but honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any combination!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Slings (I am too patient so growth rate is not an issue)
I love watching them grow as well, I do have an adult female (2yrs) A. urticans that I raised from a sling if you change your mind. She has been up for sale locally but I haven't posted her here yet.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
All great choices!

Personally, I prefer OW Ts so I would swing that way and get the P Murinis. It's an awesome T and dirt cheap.

Actually I would make room just for that T and see if you can get it as a freebie and order two of the others. ;)

I'd get the Brachy and the Versicolor. They're both beautiful Ts and see if the they'd throw the Murinis in as a freebie.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I am going to be ordering several E. Sp. yellow slings as well as more E. Sp. red, but I have room for two more tarantulas and I narrowed it down to four:

Brachypelma hamorii

Caribena versicolor

I also thought about going into OW terrestrials with a P. murinus, so really there are five.

P.S: I have owned a C. versicolor before that died as a sling, but I know exactly what I did wrong (no more using pill vile arboreal enclosures).
Well, E. cyanognathus tends to be a pet hole, which to me is not much fun. P. murinus is basically the same, except it 's a pet ghost. No see um = not fun for me.

If I kept arboreals, C. versicolor would be at the top of my list. It's gorgeous from start to finish. The urticans isn't nearly as attractive IMO.

B. hamorii...if you like the way it looks, that's cool. For some reason, I'm not crazy about the appearance...aesthetically, I think B. boehmei, emilia, albopilosum, albiceps and auratum are all above it, but that's just one man's opinion.

So, in summary, I would get a C. versicolor and one of the other brachys I listed, unless you really like the way the hamorii looks.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Well, E. cyanognathus tends to be a pet hole, which to me is not much fun. P. murinus is basically the same, except it 's a pet ghost. No see um = not fun for me.

If I kept arboreals, C. versicolor would be at the top of my list. It's gorgeous from start to finish. The urticans isn't nearly as attractive IMO.

B. hamorii...if you like the way it looks, that's cool. For some reason, I'm not crazy about the appearance...aesthetically, I think B. boehmei, emilia, albopilosum, albiceps and auratum are all above it, but that's just one man's opinion.

So, in summary, I would get a C. versicolor and one of the other brachys I listed, unless you really like the way the hamorii looks.
I already have a B. albopilosum, two B. emilia, two B. sabulosum. I would jump at the chance to get a B. albiceps if I could find them.

I may have to forget getting two C. versicolor slings as I only have enough cork bark for one arboreal species. I'll make my final decision between now and midnight.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
One of those should be Caribena versicolor, as they are gorgeous.

Would this be your first OW? What else have you kept?

If you are looking to get into OWs and have not kept any of the bridge species yet, I would suggest something like Psalmopoeus cambridgei or Ephebopus. If you're looking to dive right into OWs now, I would research some of the beginner-friendly OWs (for example, Augacephalus ezendami, Ceratogyrus marshalli, or Monocentropus balfouri).

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
You got them both right, you spelled "hobbyists" and "vial" wrong though :p

I'd go with the C. versicolor and B. hamorii, if you don't mind pet holes then swap the B. hamorii for the E. cyanognathus.
That is the annoying auto correct for ya.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
One of those should be Caribena versicolor, as they are gorgeous.

Would this be your first OW? What else have you kept?

If you are looking to get into OWs and have not kept any of the bridge species yet, I would suggest something like Psalmopoeus cambridgei or Ephebopus. If you're looking to dive right into OWs now, I would research some of the beginner-friendly OWs (for example, Augacephalus ezendami, Ceratogyrus marshalli, or Monocentropus balfouri).
Most advanced species I've raised is a P. cancerides (who just happened to molt today, well last night as it is now 1 AM) as far as defensiveness my P. cancerides, both of my B. sabulosum, A. geniculata.

By the way I went with two C. versicolor slings, as I have been looking to add at least two back to my collection.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Brachypelma hamorii

Caribena versicolor

Blue Fangs are gorgeous, but you will hardly see them, still I've owned quite a few.

Versi, can't go wrong, gorgeous even when male.