Getting into the Millipede Hobby and Need Help Making a Choice

MrPockets667

Arachnopeon
I'm getting into the hobby after not having owned a millipede in well over a decade. I'm debating with myself on getting the American Medley (1 narceus amercanius, 1 anadenobolus monilicornis, and 1chicobolus spinigerus) from bugsincyberspace.com or starting a colony of anadenobolus monilicornis (start with 6-8 individuals and see where things go from there). From my understanding anadenobolus monilicornis areally prolific breeders and my primary concern with the colony route is what I'm going to do with the excess pedes. Any input the community has would be greatly appreciated.

MrPockets667

Arachnopeon
The primary push for the colony route is coming from my significant other as she finds anadenobolus monilicornis to be adorable. However she wants me to have a plan for excess pedes if the situation arises.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you live in an area in Florida where Anadenobolus monilicornis is already established, you can just release them back into their environment. If not, you can always offer excess pedes for sale/free on the AB Classifieds. You could also contact your local exotic pet shops or other invert breeders/dealers in your area and ask if they'd like them. I've unloaded extra spiderlings, scorplings, hissing cockroaches, etc. that way. Sometimes you get something in trade and other times you don't, but at least you've gotten rid of the unwanted spares.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The primary push for the colony route is coming from my significant other as she finds anadenobolus monilicornis to be adorable. However she wants me to have a plan for excess pedes if the situation arises.
I personally find reproducing colonies of millipedes more interesting than solo individuals of a variety of species. I find that I am that way about most organisms. If you already know that you are like that, or if, on the other hand, you appreciate variety more than sustainability of a colony, that can help you make your choice.
You could always start with the medley, and then if you find you want to breed one of those species, just get a few more individuals in the future.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
My advice would be to have a colony of the same species.