Getting haired in eyes?

darlingi

Arachnosquire
I'm probably super overreacting, given I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, but I'm pretty worried that I got some of my T. stirmis hair into my eyes.
I've started being super cautious around her, due to the fact that she loves to kick whenever I look at her. Today while feeding her I wore a longsleeve, facemask, gloves but no eye-protection.
I obviously made sure to be as far away from her enclosure with my head as I could (while still being able to work around her). She kicked 2 times I believe.

The first time was while I was opening her enclosure, so I waited a few seconds before I fully lifted the lid so the hairs could settle. Second time she kicked was when she got scared by the dubia I was giving to her.
Again, my face was well above her level (I was standing, enclosure on the desk) but since that happened I've been worried about hairs travelling upwards. My left eye started to feel a bit dry but I'm pretty sure my mind was looking for something "wrong" after worrying about it over and over again.

No itching, no burning whatsoever though. So how are the chances that I'm just freaking out over nothing? If I would've actually been haired, there should be more severe symptoms (especially in the eyes), right?
Should I go see a doctor anyway?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
If you had gotten haired in the eye, I think you would know it for sure by now.
Wash your face, and inspect your eye in the mirror, but I don't think there's a reason to go to the doctor unless you have some clear symptoms.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I agree, if you did get hair in your eyes there would be way worse symptoms. In the future wear glasses/goggles.

darlingi

Arachnosquire
Thank you. I feel kind of stupid for opening a thread for this, but I guess I’ll be fine.
Reading about the potential damage of eye contact probably didn’t help.
I’ll try to stop thinking about it for today, and if something still bothers me tomorrow, I’ll go see a doctor just to be safe.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
I'm probably super overreacting, given I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, but I'm pretty worried that I got some of my T. stirmis hair into my eyes.
I've started being super cautious around her, due to the fact that she loves to kick whenever I look at her. Today while feeding her I wore a longsleeve, facemask, gloves but no eye-protection.
I obviously made sure to be as far away from her enclosure with my head as I could (while still being able to work around her). She kicked 2 times I believe.

The first time was while I was opening her enclosure, so I waited a few seconds before I fully lifted the lid so the hairs could settle. Second time she kicked was when she got scared by the dubia I was giving to her.
Again, my face was well above her level (I was standing, enclosure on the desk) but since that happened I've been worried about hairs travelling upwards. My left eye started to feel a bit dry but I'm pretty sure my mind was looking for something "wrong" after worrying about it over and over again.

No itching, no burning whatsoever though. So how are the chances that I'm just freaking out over nothing? If I would've actually been haired, there should be more severe symptoms (especially in the eyes), right?
I have a stirmi too, only once did I get exposed to the hairs, it was when I cleaned her water dish. It only takes about 15 minutes for the itching to set in. I'm sure you would notice by now, if it gets in your eyes, you should see significant swelling and redness, I believe your fine

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Take your eyes out, wash them, rinse gently, put them back. You will find everything is dark it's normal, but the itchiness should be gone.

Last edited:

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Take your eyes out, wash them, rinse gently, put them back. You will find everything is dark it's normal, but the itchyness should be gone.
Lol : ) I got the hairs on one hand, I thought washing thoroughly would help, but it didnt, the itching is unmistakable, worse than fiberglass, and my experience was mild. I wonder if I should have gone with duct tape 🤔 I have seen pictures of people getting them in their eyes, I think you would know

Dorifto

He who moists xD
White vinegar in the eyes helps too 😂😂😂😂

Just joking, rinse them and try to not to rub your eyes, very important. In a day the aches should be gone, if you see blurry is when you should start worrying.

Clean your hands with white vinegar, let it dry. And soak your hands in the hottest water you can withstand.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is a recurring question but quite frankly, the chances to get haired straight in the eyes by T's are very unlikely unless someone puts the whole head inside the enclosure, maybe placing the ear on the substrate like the trackers of once or handling NW T's having both the hand and the T's :mooning: nearby the eyes.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
This is a recurring question but quite frankly, the chances to get haired straight in the eyes by T's are very unlikely unless someone puts the whole head inside the enclosure, maybe placing the ear on the substrate like the trackers of once or handling NW T's having both the hand and the T's :mooning: nearby the eyes.
Yeah, even if they can aim better than we think, standard maintenance should be pretty safe. Stimi hairs are very severe, so a little goes a long way, I think you'll know if you need hospital care in 15 minutes or less

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, even if they can aim better than we think, standard maintenance should be pretty safe. Stimi hairs are very severe, so a little goes a long way, I think you'll know if you need hospital care in 15 minutes or less
Never been haired in the eyes (like more or less everyone here) but I have reasons for believe that such a thing would be quite crappy even with your average 'Grammos' setae. While Theraphosa spp. are among the worst, reactions (I'm talking about fingers/hands of course) always vary person by person.

I know folks that can't tolerate A. geniculata or Nhandu spp. ones, but they do deal better with Theraphosa ones. When I open my M. robustum enclosure for maintenance, all the hairs she leaves on the substrate as a secondary defence, goes somewhat airborne if I'm too speedy. My hand once turned so itchy and red that man... Never had similar effects with other T's setae.

Depends, always :)

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight

How are you feeling?

wonderful

Arachnosquire
Take your eyes out, wash them, rinse gently, put them back. You will find everything is dark it's normal, but the itchiness should be gone.
When do you put them in a bag of rice? I don’t want to lose my warranty 🤓

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If you’d been haired by a theraphosa in the eyes, you wouldn’t be asking us if you had or not, you’d know…..
And I literally see no attraction with having to wear an arsenal of PPE just to feed a tarantula. Better you than me! #antihazmatkeeping 🤪