Getting food during covid lockdown

Pepejeans

Arachnopeon
Hey so seeing as this epidemic might go into a few months, I was wondering if you guys had reliable sites to get crickets or other live foods that deliver to canada(or Canadian sites preferably) I’m a pretty new owner, about 3 months and my 2 inch boehmei has been refusing Food for 2 weeks maybe molt approaching, but his abdomen hasent swollen up at all so idk. He hasent has a molt since I brought him home so I’m not sure. Anyways I’m trailing off. If you have any good references for that at all! Would be awesome :)

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
It is very simple to have your own supply or even keep a tub of 50 crickets alive for months,this seems to be a reoccurring question and I find it hard to believe that so many ppl are constantly buying feeders.
One thing I hear is "I won't breed my own because they stink" if you have considerable smell then something isn't right regarding husbandry, housing etc.
I think your best option is to find mealworms or superworms of appropriate size and keep them in the fridge which they will be in a state of torpor, should last 6-8 weeks.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Start raising roaches and create your own supply. I prefer B.lateralis, though B.dubia is a close second.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Get mealworms instead, keep them in the fridge and they'll last for months.

No point in breeding roaches unless you have dozens of tarantulas and are able to easily sell any excess (besides, it takes a couple of months to get a colony going)

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
OP is in Canada,so no roaches allowed.
It will need to be mealworms or crickets,

Eukio

Arachnosquire
No point in breeding roaches unless you have dozens of tarantulas and are able to easily sell any excess (besides, it takes a couple of months to get a colony going)
I am going to agree with this sentiment. I had a small colony going, and it was just a pain to keep feeding them every few days for little reward. No one was interested in buying the extras. I eventually just sold them and buy dubias when I need them because I only have 11 tarantulas.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Get mealworms instead, keep them in the fridge and they'll last for months.

Or you keep the roaches a little cooler to prevent them from breeding that fast

omni

Arachnobaron
a 2" boehmi is ok to eat a good size mealworm 1x a week or less, so get 2 dozen and put em in the 'fridge and you'll be good. less than 15 T's probably easier to just buy feeders at the LPS or someplace online like CapeCodRoaches.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I think your best option is to find mealworms or superworms of appropriate size and keep them in the fridge which they will be in a state of torpor, should last 6-8 weeks.
One small note, superworms (Zophobas morio) cannot be kept in the fridge as they will die.

However, they will survive for months and months and are a good alternative to crickets as a long term food source. When kept at room temperatures, they will not pupate unless they are isolated from the group, which is also a different characteristic to mealworms (Tenebrio molitor).

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I have a mealworm colony I made on accident. Unlike superworms, they are super easy to make and care for, and last forever. I highly recommend them.

I also keep some dubias for the adults, but I prefer superworms. I'm not going to invest the time and energy into making another superworm colony myself, though, because I didn't find that it was worth the amount of time I invested.

Most of my favorite online sellers are still shipping feeders anyway. Hope you can find one soon!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
a 2" boehmi is ok to eat a good size mealworm 1x a week or less, so get 2 dozen and put em in the 'fridge and you'll be good. less than 15 T's probably easier to just buy feeders at the LPS or someplace online like CapeCodRoaches.
When I started my B.lateralis colony, I got 1/2 my roaches from Jamie’s & half from CapeCodRoaches. Worked great.

Christina Triplett

Arachnopeon
Hey so seeing as this epidemic might go into a few months, I was wondering if you guys had reliable sites to get crickets or other live foods that deliver to canada(or Canadian sites preferably) I’m a pretty new owner, about 3 months and my 2 inch boehmei has been refusing Food for 2 weeks maybe molt approaching, but his abdomen hasent swollen up at all so idk. He hasent has a molt since I brought him home so I’m not sure. Anyways I’m trailing off. If you have any good references for that at all! Would be awesome :)
Try KFC called Kritters for Christ they are in Georgia, USA and will ship thru the lockdown. They supply my red runners, banded crickets and dubia. My cousin is the owner and said they will ship as long as US mail runs. Good luck.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Just get a tub of mealworms and put in the 'fridge. With one T that should last you into 2021 and longer. I'm not sure why this thread is complicating this. In most Canadian jurisdictions pet stores are essential services, so no concern getting feeders at this point.