Getting First T...Sling, sub-Adult, or mature specimen?

PeteParker240

Arachnopeon
Youll be fine with a genic so long as you remember tongs are your friend.
"Juvenile enclosure" is kinda vague, giving us actual dimensions would help get a better answer.
I just read the description...it is 4" cube x 5"....the set up from Jaime's Tarantulas. It actually says recommended for slings under 3"...I guess that is why they say reading is fundamental, lol.

Trying to navigate on my phone and not doing well, lol...thanks for the input bro.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteParker240

Arachnopeon
Thanks all for tge feedback. After intense research and suggestions I have made my choice...well choices, lol. They say this hobby is addicting...well I see it is not a lie. Ordered a G. Pulchripes..then a B. Albopilosum 3/4"...and seriously about to pull the trigger on a 1.5" GBB to get me ready for OW speed when I go that route. Annnnd maybe an avic avic to get an arboreal, lol...0 to 4 in a week. I might be 20 in by the end of 2018, lol. Will post pics as they arrive and grow. Thanks again all.

Last edited:

TopLamp

Arachnopeon
gbb speed is much faster than grammastola, and brachys, but not like an old world arboreal. I'd recommend a psalmopoeus species later on to prepare for old world arboreal speeds. All the spiders you mentioned will be fun and easy to keep. Have fun with your collection, and keep that substrate dry (besides the avic). I would really recommend that gbb if you find it under $50. Thanks for sharing.

PeteParker240

Arachnopeon
gbb speed is much faster than grammastola, and brachys, but not like an old world arboreal. I'd recommend a psalmopoeus species later on to prepare for old world arboreal speeds. All the spiders you mentioned will be fun and easy to keep. Have fun with your collection, and keep that substrate dry (besides the avic). I would really recommend that gbb if you find it under $50. Thanks for sharing.
Wait a minute...It gets faster than C. Cyaneopubescens....lol...I saw footage of one and it looked like it teleported, smh. I am getting this for speed...Avic to get use to jumping...but I really thought the GBB was the speed threshold lol.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Wait a minute...It gets faster than C. Cyaneopubescens....lol...I saw footage of one and it looked like it teleported, smh. I am getting this for speed...Avic to get use to jumping...but I really thought the GBB was the speed threshold lol.
Tapinauchenius may be the true speed demons of the tarantula family. Not only can the teleport, but since they are arboreal, they can teleport in three dimensions.

Sggatsmit

Arachnopeon
Get one of each. You’re going to do that soon enough, anyway. I handle some of my new worlds, and there are many good Ts that are pretty easy to find for that purpose. If you can find it, my favorite dwarf is homoeomma sp red. Much more common, though, is my second-most handleable T, Aphonopelma chalcodes. I actually had to be talked into getting one of these by my daughter, but it’s turned out that she’s such a sweetheart that she has become my favorite among the half dozen or so of my “handling” Ts. I like B albopilosum for easy-to-find and easy to handle, too, but both my daughter and myself find her toe hairs a bit irritating on our skin.

Whatever you do, good luck and have fun! And start buying extra cage supplies now. The addiction begins...