getting crickets into a web

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so after doing a search for "crickets web" and "prey web" and not finding anything relevant quickly enough (lol) I’ve decided to ask for advice here.

I recently purchased my first arboreal T and im starting to realize that feeding it it much more difficult then feeding my other terrestrials.

The crickets are not consistently making their way into her spun web (mind you, it's not a very thick web yet anyways) and when they do get stuck in the web, they manage to dislodge themselves in a few minutes.

I've tried placing crickets into the web and

1) I get frustrated and give up because catching a single cricket with tweezers is really hard
2) I get them near the web only to have them fall out
3) the stupid crickets wiggle free

Advice/tips/help please :)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
A good idea is to place a clean piece of wood next to the web. It's likely that the crix will climb it and the T will subsequently go for them. But I wouldn't really worry too much anyway, because just putting the prey on the substrate would be enough. A hungry arboreal will happily catch a crick that's running arround on the ground.

Sr. Chencho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pinching the legs off first is a good idea. My A. versicolor will hunt down criks no matter where its at, there's no escape. I would say, if your T is hungry enough, it'll eventually find its meal. Toss it in and watch the fun.
Fred

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
crix

What I do, is drop the crix in as close to the web as possible, so the T will feel the vibration and be aware the crix is there. The crix will wander around the cage, but anyway the T will find it when hungry. Arboreal or not, a T can capture one from the ground.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
mmmm... yeah, i second the idea that t's are sufficiently competent predators that if they're hungry they'll manage to locate prey!

that said, you can just try dropping the prey directly in front of them. my a. metallica immediately pounces on whatever i drop in front of it...

cheers! :D
- munis

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a fun way to feed avics and other tree loving Ts. I tie a slip knot with some thin fishing string and slip it over whatever I am going to feed to the T. Then dangle it around in the web. That way it cant fall anywhere because you are holding it up, and if the T is hungry she will have plenty of time to make a kill. And if she does kill all you do is drape the extra fishing line over the edge of the container and replace the lid and remove later when she is done eating. :D

dirk14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my versi hunts it down weather on the ground or on her web... i just take out there hind legs... to give to my slings.. no escape at all

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi can you buy locusts in the u.s.a. as they tend to climb upwards so are ideal for arboreal species we can in the uk -- phil