Getting back into the hobby looking for suggestion

Vezon

Arachnopeon
A. genic or G. iheringi, both get huge, both eat well, both are beautiful

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like your passion for the "Dwarf" army T's. You made me laugh days ago with your "Excellent selection of Dwarfs" post because reminded me the wine chart of some restaurants ah ah.

I've never, never wanted one so far (only reason was their little size) but i'm changing my mind and i'm seriously thinking about getting one :)
My man, that's great to hear. I'm drawn to dwarfs generally because they are small, and require less space. I'd think all Europeans will appreciate that, having been to Europe a few times ;)

They are an acquired taste I think. As many people get Ts because they are so large.

H. sp. Columbia was my first dwarf actually. I wanted it because of its colors, and having adult colors as a sling. I grew tired of waiting for adult colors at that point. Then I saw what a power house it was, how it took down crickets even as TINY 1/4" slings that were much larger. I don't know why this locality, and other members of this genus all have this ferocious prey attacking style. Certainly no other NW species does, only GBBs come close in my opinion. Even there, they lose out to these dwarfs.

Then for E. sp Red, I stumbled across them on YouTube if I recall and talked to Storm and had to get them. I liked them because of their docile nature, and more importantly their "curious" nature people mentioned on the forum. I had to know what that was all about. There are a lot of dwarf species now, most are out of S. America.

I think ultimately why I like all dwarfs is that despite their size, they act just like their much larger cousins, they don't realize they are small (obviously) compared to a Poki for example. If there was a mini-Poki I'd be super interested as well.

My E. sp Red and Yellows are by far the most interesting. They have absolutely no fear, walk right up the container and out when the lid is removed. Whereas my Avics are much more cautious and tend NOT to do that fortunately. Only my G. pulchripes and B. smithi seem to be inclined to take a stroll when the lid is off at times.

I hae 2 dwarfs on my must have list, just a matter of time.

LittleT has the best dwarf collection I've seen.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
C.cyaneopubescens or B. Boehmei

Stunning colours, hardy, great eaters, great display spiders and easy to keep. :)

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the ideas. I plan to hit our local store that is REALLY good with Ts and has quite a selection. Nice little mom and pop shop where they actually care about their critters. If I can't find what I'm looking for I'll hit the classifieds. Once again, thanks.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well my local store has stepped up their selection even more. They had a good number of the ones suggested here in this thread. I didn't make a decision yet though. Still trying to weigh whats most important for me. I don't handle, so. Like a really nice display T. I almost just went straight for the LP but restrained myself. Man it is so hard to not walk out with tons of stuff. They had a beautiful P rufilata as well.

Vezon

Arachnopeon
There's nothing wrong with the LP. If that's what you want, then by God, get it. They're easy to care for and a decent display species (I'm assuming you want to display it as it will be your 1 and only T).

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A. genic or G. iheringi, both get huge, both eat well, both are beautiful
If you can get G. Iheringi that would be sweet. It is such a nice spider I have been looking for one of these for a while now too. What a Grammy!

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The LP they have is in premolt. Once it's finished he's going to try to sex it for me. If it's a female I might snag it. I will say, they had a couple small Theraphosa apophysis that caught my eye. My main reason for avoiding them was the added humidity and potential for mites. A Theraphosa of some kind has always been on my list. If they are somewhat slow growers it might be something to consider. I prefer the look of the T blondi and stirmi more however. He said they get stirmi in frequently. Something to think about. They had a few labeled with common names, such as King Baboon, i assume they mean Pelinobius muticus? The ones they had were massive. Anyone a fan of those guys?

cold blood

Staff member
Stirmi would be the one to get, and they do not grow slow, they have appetites of legend and grow quickly....but they need to be kept warmer and perpetually damp, thereby requiring not only a properly ventilated enclosure, but a keen sense for walking that fine line between humidity and ventilation. Dry climates could feasibly make things even more complicated.

People that own P. muticus love them (i'm one of them), great spider...not the fastest grower or the most spectacular eater, but their beauty is under-rated and their size and willingness to hiss or posture are almost as legendary as their supreme burrowing abilities...always house them in as deep of substrate as you can offer them, they wil use it all.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stirmi would be the one to get, and they do not grow slow, they have appetites of legend and grow quickly....but they need to be kept warmer and perpetually damp, thereby requiring not only a properly ventilated enclosure, but a keen sense for walking that fine line between humidity and ventilation. Dry climates could feasibly make things even more complicated.

People that own P. muticus love them (i'm one of them), great spider...not the fastest grower or the most spectacular eater, but their beauty is under-rated and their size and willingness to hiss or posture are almost as legendary as their supreme burrowing abilities...always house them in as deep of substrate as you can offer them, they wil use it all.
Awesome thanks for the input. How would rate the speed of P. muticus? I was able to handle my OBTs with no problems using caution and common sense. I don't want a "teleporter" like a pokie. The store had 2 massive sexed female P muticus in proper enclosures, for $150 complete setup and spider. That didn't sound too bad, however since I've been out of the hobby I am not up to date on what things are going for these days. Once again, I appreciate your input. Thanks CB and everyone. I am really looking forward to getting back into the hobby.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've narrowed it down, and I think I'm definitely getting a GBB as per your suggestions. However against my better judgement I think I am going for two. (exactly what happened last time, and two turned into many more). For the second T I am debating on T stirmi, L parahybana, and P muticus. I am wondering whether I want to deal with the nasty hairs of the T stirmi, or the disposition and speed of the P muticus.