Getting back into the Arachno hobby, have to choose a feeder

Dominatus

Arachnopeon
I had 15+ tarantulas a few years back and had a dubia colony. Life got crazy for a little bit and I downsized the collection and got rid of the dubia colony. I only have 9 tarantulas at the moment, some of those being juvie Lasiodora parahybana I hope to sex and sell soon, but am looking to order several slings of several different species in the next few months.

I really want to have a feeder colony again. They were just as interesting as the tarantulas :p I did not end up liking the dubias very much though. The problem I had with them was their burrowing habits. I just hated losing several to burrowing in my tarantulas' substrate. Digging into a corner never to be seen again is not a good way to get eaten either :p

Basically I can't decide between Blaberus Discoidalis or Nauphoeta cincerea. I am planning on ordering 100 or so from http://www.aaronpauling.com of one or the other.

My questions are:
The discoidalis are non burrowing right?
Are the discoidalis as "sluggish" as the dubias? Sometimes tarantulas just don't seem interested in feeders that will hold completely still for hours when they feel the tarantula approach unlike crickets or other feeders that try to run, heh.

The cincerea are what I am leaning towards. 3 inch feeders seem just to big ( E.G. dubias and discoidalis ) and lobsters are smaller and do seem rather skittish so as to trigger that "pounce" from the tarantulas, heh.
I do worry about escapees with these though (fast and climbing!) or that they will just be too fast to reasonably handle and feed to the tarantulas. I was hoping to be encouraged that with some Vaseline or similar product and a big tub I could limit that possibility.

I am overthinking it, but post away with your thoughts anyways.

-Dominatus

P.S. I live in Texas if it matters (possibility of escapees establishing a "wild" colony?)

P.S.S. There not a great deal of "nutrition" to consider here, between these two roaches, is there?

Last edited:

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
discoids do burrow as nymphs, but not as adults

discoids are about the same as dubias (though you also mentioned the more lively lobsters in your letter). dubias do play dead for a couple minutes, usually

Personally, I'm not a fan of lobsters or lats as feeders. They're not as meaty and too speedy/pesty. I prefer discoids because they are meatier and easier to handle. Tarantulas have no problems with them and you can keep the largest ones as breeders, feeding off the younger ones. Young dubia are more elongate than rounded as discoid nymphs.

Tarantulas do fine on any kind of roach, nutrition-wise.

beckett5000

Arachnopeon
My favorties are the lobsters. They have one of the highest meat to shell ratios you will find with roaches. the discoids tend to be more shell than meat when they are adults, but are plenty meaty while nymphs. I had a big debate posted a little while ago about whats the best feeder. I found that you either love lobsters or want all of them to perish with the worsy death possable. I don't have a problem with any escaping, or having trouble feeding them. It's all in the way you set it up. The climbing is actually a BIG + with the lobsters. You can get creative with the way you house them. I made my own roach motels =) instead of egg cartins I cut 1/8" plywood boards, and used allthread, nuts, and washers to space them 1/2" apart. I have 4 sections of these in a 40 gallon breeder tank. anytime I need some I just grab a section and shake them out over a tub. You could use anything to make this since they are climbers. My T's, lizards, and venus-flytraps have no problem catching the little speed demons and all seem to love them and are doing well. The only down side I have with the lobsters compaired to the other roaches I have is that they eat, drink, and poop much more than the others. I think it all comes down to what roach will work for who the best? If you willing to take the time and effort and learn how to get a good set up go with the lobsters. If you want something fast and simple go with the discoids.

Dominatus

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the replies. I bought some lobsters, should be here sometime next week. Figure worst come to worst I can start a discoidalis colony too. Doesn't cost a lot from Paul's website. I was going to try just a huge plastic bin + egg cartons + human heat pad and give a go. I'll try discoidalis if it goes poorly, but I think this will work out alright.

Thanks again and post any other thoughts you may have!

-Dominatus

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have kept/bred about a dozen species of roaches over the years and I always found myself going back to Lobster Roaches for feeders for my arachnids.

Dominatus

Arachnopeon
Thank you DavidBear, I really think this is the one that will win me over for feeders.

-Dominatus