getting back in the hobby

Wicked1z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hello everyone new and old. it's been a while since I posted on here but I figured since I got back into the hobby I would post and let everyone know and to ask some questions.
I made a trade a couple weeks ago to get some scorps since I really missed keeping them. here is what I got complete with there enclosures. one of them I don't have the laten name for it so if you could help me out with that as well I would be grateful.

Arizona Bark (3 of them. was told very hot scorps. )
Mesobuthus Martensii (1 of them)
HadRufus Arizonensis (1 of them)
Paruroctonus Silvestrii (2 of them. a male and a very pregnant female.)

this will be the first time I have had a pregnant scorpion. I have bought babies before but never had any myself. what do I need to do to care for these little ones once there born? do I need to seperate them from the parents? if so how would the best way to do that? every single baby that I have had on the past was allready in deli cups by themselves.
if someone could help me in general care of them I would be gratefull. also how many babies do they normally have at a time? also if someone could post me some links to care for the rest I would be very thankful. I am sorry for any miss spellings cause I use my phone to check the site till I get my internet back. I hope to make alot of new friends and renew some old ones as well while I'm at it. when I get my internet and my dslr camera back I will be more than happy to begin posting pics. thank you all in advance for your help this has always been one of my favorite sites.

sincerely,
Michael

Wicked1z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also for the ones I do have scientific names for can you give me the common names for them as well.

Y-man

Arachnosquire
Michael,

If I would have thought about it I would have brought some care sheets when I dropped the scorpions off. I had too much going on that weekend. Soon to be your neighbor in Lake City though. I'll email a copy of the ones I use when I get a chance.

The scorpions with just a common name is Centruroides sculpturatus, and it is a 3/5 on a 1-5 scale. 2 females and 1 male

The Mesobuthus martensii common name is Chinese Armored Scorpion

The Hadrufus arizonensis common name is Giant desert hairy

The Paruroctonus silvestrii common name is California common scorpion

As far as babies go, leave the mother and the babies alone until they start to leave her back. Some say to place a pre killed cricket in the cage for the mom, but I have tried it and I have only had about a 20% success rate with it, so I don't do it.

I just had another one of mine have babies and it had about 12, that's pretty good for such a small scorpion.

Let me know if you have any other questions and myself or another member will fill you in.

Thanks Again,
Nick

Wicked1z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for replying nick. I would really be thankful if you can send me some of the care sheets. in glad you recognize me to know who I was. you get moved up here yet? I would have loved to be the one that met up with you that night. I hope we can become friends in the future or at least good bussines partners. I love these little guys. do you know about when she is due? she's huge lol. also do you still have my phone number? if so could you txt me what else you have for sale please. look forward to talking to you again and also getting some more stuff from you. one more thing, you told me that you fed roaches. do you have enough extra to help me get a colany going. txt or call me if you have the time.

Y-man

Arachnosquire
I emailed you the links to the caresheets.

I close on my house on the 13th. Probably won't be moved up there until the last week in August. As soon as I get my collection up there, you will have to come check it out. I currently have over 250 scorpions, with about 46 different.

That gravid female probably has a month or 2 to go still. The last one I had pop, you could easily see the bablies through her skin.

I still have your phone number but it would take forever to text the list of what I would sell. Can I email it to you?

I definitly have enough roaches to get you started. I'll take care of you! :D

Nick

***PM me so we don't keep bumping this thread to the top*** :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not reading the whole thread right now as I'm at a coffee shop waiting for my internet to be turned on at my new place. I think the rest of your questions have been answered, but as for the slings:

Wait for them to molt and start wandering from mom. Then treat them like adults but a little more humid. Slings are generally born during the most wet (humid) parts of the year. Otherwise, just like normal. If you can separate, do. During molting, cannibalism is not uncommon. Or, if you only want a few, keep them together, and then you will have less to care for/trade/etc.

Feed small food items, or chop larger ones into pieces. Remove leftovers within 24 hours. Don't forget their nocturnal schedule! So feed pre-killed at night if possible. Keep a bit more humid at least until 3rd instar, then slowly decrease humidity.

Oh, and it's Hadrurus. I'm assuming you know that, but, just in case....

Have fun and good luck! I love hearing about domestic captive breeding/births. :)

Wicked1z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thank you everyone for all the help. hopefully nick will be able to help me first hand by then but if not I will be asking for certain for more help. you know how us daddys freek out when we have new babies to take care of.