Getting an Avic need some advice

airikahh

Arachnopeon
Hi, so i'm new into the hobby though i've been reading up and stuff for the past two years and I'm finally gonna get my first T! It's an A. avic. Though it might be rescuing cause I'm getting them from petco and these T's are way too big for their enclosures and its just filled with dead crickets. However, I wanted to know if you guys thought this enclosure would be good for now until I'm able to diy my own enclosure for them and if you guys had any suggestions to altering it so it'll be good enough for the T.

It's a Zoo med Bugarium and it's about 3 gallons (8x8x11) I got it for christmas and im planning on getting cork bark cause the one it came with would be more suitable for a terresterial T which is why the enclosure is so empty. So any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to get it ready before getting the T.

File_000 (1).jpeg File_001 (1).jpeg

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Hi, so i'm new into the hobby though i've been reading up and stuff for the past two years and I'm finally gonna get my first T! It's an A. avic. Though it might be rescuing cause I'm getting them from petco and these T's are way too big for their enclosures and its just filled with dead crickets. However, I wanted to know if you guys thought this enclosure would be good for now until I'm able to diy my own enclosure for them and if you guys had any suggestions to altering it so it'll be good enough for the T.

It's a Zoo med Bugarium and it's about 3 gallons (8x8x11) I got it for christmas and im planning on getting cork bark cause the one it came with would be more suitable for a terresterial T which is why the enclosure is so empty. So any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to get it ready before getting the T.

View attachment 227775 View attachment 227776
Screen tops are no bueno, if you can, replace the top with an acrylic sheet with holes drilled in it. It's "ok" but the lack of cross ventilation isnt great, so you may want to change it, like you said, for a diy eventually. Other than that, I dont know how big the avic is, but that water bowl seems a bit large. Some fake plants are nice for holding moisture. A quick tip I have is that all of my arboreals loovvee the round pieces of cork bark.

Congratulations on deciding to get a T though! I garuntee you'll love it, and the experience.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Another quick side note, my Avic Avic was pretty unhappy when I rehoused it, refusing to web or eat. So be prepared for that, they aren't fans of their homes being messed with and will act like a sassy teenager about it.

airikahh

Arachnopeon
The biggest one looked about 2 inches the rest about an inch maybe an inch and a half, but ok thank you I'll stop by home depot and get an acrylic sheet and what would you suggest for a water bowl? I had thought about using a cap from like a gatorade bottle or something similar but thought they were too small??

airikahh

Arachnopeon
Another quick side note, my Avic Avic was pretty unhappy when I rehoused it, refusing to web or eat. So be prepared for that, they aren't fans of their homes being messed with and will act like a sassy teenager about it.
haha ok I'll keep that in mind thank you so much

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Screen tops are no bueno, if you can, replace the top with an acrylic sheet with holes drilled in it. It's "ok" but the lack of cross ventilation isnt great, so you may want to change it, like you said, for a diy eventually. Other than that, I dont know how big the avic is, but that water bowl seems a bit large. Some fake plants are nice for holding moisture. A quick tip I have is that all of my arboreals loovvee the round pieces of cork bark.

Congratulations on deciding to get a T though! I garuntee you'll love it, and the experience.
that looks like enough vent for me. ive never really had issues with screenlids and arboreals. just make sure that screens steel and cant be ripped through.
water bowl i think is fine too, substrate should be alot drier, however.
my avics like to make their own hides around plastic plants, they dont seem to care for cork rounds like other arboreal genera.
that looks like a good cage for a adult, but for a 1.5"-2", you probably want something alot smaller, a 32oz deli cup would be okay for a molt or two, than maybe a plastic gallon jar from walmart or another clear plastic tub.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
The biggest one looked about 2 inches the rest about an inch maybe an inch and a half, but ok thank you I'll stop by home depot and get an acrylic sheet and what would you suggest for a water bowl? I had thought about using a cap from like a gatorade bottle or something similar but thought they were too small??
That's what I would use, water bottles are always great. Also, I'm not too sure but I think that enclosure may be too big for a 2 inch T. I'm relatively new to the hobby, but I'm sure some experts will be here soon to add on, or correct me if I'm wrong :p

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
that looks like enough vent for me. ive never really had issues with screenlids and arboreals. just make sure that screens steel and cant be ripped through.
my avics like to make their own hides around plastic plants, they dont seem to care for cork rounds like other arboreal genera.
There's another thing you'll learn, you gotta find what works for you, I told you what works for me, @Venom1080 told you what works for him. Granted he has quite a bit more experience under his belt. As long as you know what not to do you'll be ok.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Make it look something like this
Avics LOVE lots if anchor points close to the top. Cork rounds arent needed as they make heir iwn tunnels.
The cage u have likely wont work as they are arboreal an will web the top an thats your lid an only access to the spider. You will want a front opening enclosure that way your less likely to disturb the spider during feeding/maintenance.

For moisture/hunidity you need only keep a clean and full water dish (yours is fine, size isint relevant because T's dont drown in water dishes, they are great swimmers).

Cross ventilation is ideal but if top ventilation is all that u can do due to the sides being glass then its serviceable.

Def lose the screen top if your not gonna get a better (front opening) enclosure and replace the screen w/acrylic.

PM me if any of that is unclear or you need any help

airikahh

Arachnopeon
I think it's mesh so they'll probably end up chewing it up so I'll just replace the lid and really?? I'll try and fix that right now so do you keep it just a little moist or do you put the substrate in bone dry and just give it a little misting?? the little tank came with some fake plants with like a suction cup for it to attach, but it wouldn't stick I'll probably end up getting some at petco since I'll already be there.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I think it's mesh so they'll probably end up chewing it up so I'll just replace the lid and really?? I'll try and fix that right now so do you keep it just a little moist or do you put the substrate in bone dry and just give it a little misting?? the little tank came with some fake plants with like a suction cup for it to attach, but it wouldn't stick I'll probably end up getting some at petco since I'll already be there.
Avics are best kept dry with a water dish, high ventilation, and weekly to bi weekly mistings. this is the only genera i mist for, ever. i like to use hot glue to attach plants to the sides of cages. but it still doesnt always hold.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Avics are best kept dry with a water dish, high ventilation, and weekly to bi weekly mistings. this is the only genera i mist for, ever. i like to use hot glue to attach plants to the sides of cages. but it still doesnt always hold.
Agree w/ the exception of misting. I mist for my poecilatheria only because she seems to love it an vaccunes the glass while ignoring her water dish lol

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Agree w/ the exception of misting. I mist for my poecilatheria only because she seems to love it an vaccunes the glass while ignoring her water dish lol
i find some avics seem to almost ignore their water dish, especially after a molt. i make sure to give them easy access to water via a light mist.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
i find some avics seem to almost ignore their water dish, especially after a molt. i make sure to give them easy access to water via a light mist.
Yup i mist 1 time a week making sure to leave some droplets at tunnel entrances.
My P. met is nuts tho, she has an always full dish just outside the opening of her hide yet turns her nose up at it fully. She only comes out to eat and vaccune up the water soaked sides of the enclosure when i mist lol

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yup i mist 1 time a week making sure to leave some droplets at tunnel entrances.
My P. met is nuts tho, she has an always full dish just outside the opening of her hide yet turns her nose up at it fully. She only comes out to eat and vaccune up the water soaked sides of the enclosure when i mist lol
you just said you didnt agree with misting for Avics...?
yeah, pokies are weird, mine seem to find their dishes easily enough though.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
you just said you didnt agree with misting for Avics...?
yeah, pokies are weird, mine seem to find their dishes easily enough though.
No no i agree w/ misting avics fully. I do mine once a week leavin drops on the ends of tunnel openings. I only disagreed slighty cause i thought u said "only mist avics" haha. Since my pokie loves it is all i meant haha

Edit:
Yea my pokie sticks her foot in the dish on occasion so she knows rite where it is, even took a superworm from it one day lol, i just cant ever cath her drinking it but when i mist the sides she almost leaps from the hide to the side to vaccune it up lmao

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No no i agree w/ misting avics fully. I do mine once a week leavin drops on the ends of tunnel openings. I only disagreed slighty cause i thought u said "only mist avics" haha. Since my pokie loves it is all i meant haha

Edit:
Yea my pokie sticks her foot in the dish on occasion so she knows rite where it is, even took a superworm from it one day lol, i just cant ever cath her drinking it but when i mist the sides she almost leaps from the hide to the side to vaccune it up lmao
ah, i see. i probably wouldnt bother misting your pokie as it can clearly get water, and knows where it is.

cold blood

Staff member
At that size, do NOT use that enclosure until its an adult.

For avics, using a larger water dish is better than too small....they cant drown, they float on the surface tension.

A 32oz deli cup is far superior and a proper size.

Congrats, avics are wonderful as an entire genus...i love em. Above is a juronesis sling, below are avic avic

airikahh

Arachnopeon
Hey sorry for the late reply, but I thought I'd give you all an update from when I originally posted. I decided to just diy an entire new cage for my T.
I got a small sterlite container for home depot and drilled ventilation on each side and bought a small sheet of acrylic and cut it down to cover the bottom half of the enclosure and used a silicone glue to stick it onto the tub as well as the plant in the inside and they're sticking on very well. I let it set for a couple hrs just in case there was a smell that my nose couldn't detect. It's a little ugly cause I used a sharpie since i didnt have any erasable markers and I used sand paper to sand down the inside and outside when I made the holes. The substrate I dried out but using the microwave since I had forgot to get some at the store. I put it in there for a minute, but every 15 secs I'd take it out and sort of stir it with my hands then put it back in and just kept repeating the steps. If you guys have any suggestions, criticisms, or advice pls let me know I wanna do my best for my T. Thanks.

This is the little guy in the container it was originally in.
File_000 (2).jpeg

Pics of the enclosure still in progress
File_001 (2).jpeg File_002 (1).jpeg

Pic of the little guy in his new home I added their water dish afterwards, but no attitude from this guy thankfully though was surprised at how fast they were.
File_003 (1).jpeg