Getting a pair of Monocentropus balfouri!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I am getting a pair of these rare beauties on Thursday and I am quite excited!

Male is about 2.5 cm and the female is about 3.5 cm so they are a bit small but I hope they will mature around the same time. I am planning to feed the female a bit more to speed her growth.

Any general suggestions?

I will post pictures on Thursday.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am getting a pair of these rare beauties on Thursday and I am quite excited!

Male is about 2.5 cm and the female is about 3.5 cm so they are a bit small but I hope they will mature around the same time. I am planning to feed the female a bit more to speed her growth.

Any general suggestions?
I will post pictures on Thursday.
Any general suggestions for what? :?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Well I know that the care info is pretty much like P.murinus and quite straightforward but I would love to hear if anybody has anything specific to say about their care, behavior etc...

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I almost lost my sling the first day. She bolted away and almost ran under my fridge but i managed to cup her just a few inches away.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Wow these things are beautiful :), surely worth the cash...

Female is much bigger than advertised so I am very happy.

Here is a couple pictures of the female:

And 2 seconds later:

The male is much smaller and that is great.

I am guessing that this girl has 3 or so molt to go!

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Here is a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFOBts0Jmog

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is my female freshly molted, 1st time in my care.

These are just stunning!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Very close to a molt, probably she will mature with this one. My other female and my male is in pre-molt as well and he should be a MM soon. Breeding efforts will be on the way :).

To each is own but I believe Monocentropus balfouri to be the most beautiful Tarantula in the pet trade.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My 2" OBT started out with ~4" packed substrate when it was ~0.5" DLS. With T-added personal touches, it now appears ~7" deep. Would 4" be adequate, do you think? I am planning enclosures for my future M. balfouri.... :)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I think it would be good enough. Put in a hallow log or smt. similar in there as well, they make a good use of it.

snakecollector

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good luck with your breeding!! I have bred my Balfouri a couple of times. I did get one eggsac but it desicated before I found it. It was similar to a jumping spider eggsac.
I let my males live communially with the female for a month or so. She never showed any type of aggression toward them.

I agree that this is one of the most beautiful, easy to care for species. However getting a viable eggsac seems to be easier said than done.