Getting 4 new additions (this month)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I am getting 4 new additions and I know for a fact two of them will be:

Grammostola Pulchra
Brachypelma klaasi

But what should the other two be? I am planning to possibly get into old world terrestrials (considering the M. Balfouri and P. Muticus). Also, thinking of picking seven more next month (weather permitting).

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I am getting 4 new additions and I know for a fact two of them will be:

Grammostola Pulchra
Brachypelma klaasi

But what should the other two be? I am planning to possibly get into old world terrestrials (considering the M. Balfouri and P. Muticus). Also, thinking of picking seven more next month (weather permitting).
Pulchra is an awesome choice! I have one 5 feet away and love watching him bulldoze around.

I'm the wrong one to ask about OW terrestrials, unfortunately.

I just got some new slings myself, but they're all NW terrestrials (brachypelma, pterinopelma and nhandu.)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
What do you currently have, and how long have you been keeping tarantulas? What are some qualities you like and dislike in tarantulas?
0.1.0 B. Albopilosum
1.1.0 B. Sabulosum (these two are very defensive)
0.0.1 N. Chromatus
0.0.1 A. Metallica
0.0.1 G. Porteri
0.0.1 G. Rosea
0.1.0 GBB (she is a monster)
0.1.0 A. Geniculata (she earned the name big Bertha for a reason.
0.1.1 E. Sp. Red
0.1.0 P. Cancerides (she is very defensive and quick like typical Phomictopus
0.0.1 G. Pulchripes
I have also been in the hobby since September 2014

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Since you have a couple of slow growers there, maybe go for H. gigas instead of P. muticus (heresy!) My potential female is growing really fast and is pretty active working on it's burrow. I am a Hysterocrates convert. I like a mix of fast and slow growers, more chance that something's going on at any given time.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For a first OW, I would suggest a Ceratogyrus species. I have a couple darlingis that I really like. Decent growth rate, good eaters, not very defensive for an OW. I don't have experience with marshalli, but I know @cold blood often recommends them. Augacephalus ezendami is another nice option, although mine are much slower growing than my darlingis are.

A different option might be getting a slightly feistier NW species. I am partial to Ephebopus uatuman and murinus. I rehoused each of these the same day I rehoused my darlingis, all of a similar size, and I got WAY more attitude from them than I got from the OWs. I do not have E. cyanognathus yet so cannot speak to that species, but I definitely want one.

All of these options should be quite a bit less pricey than a balfouri, as well.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm a huge fan of marshalli, and to a slightly lesser degree, darlingi. Both are super choices. They web a lot, and while they burrow, they spend more time out and visible than any fossorial I have ever owned. Both grow quickly (IME marshalli is a little faster), both have ridiculous appetites, even as slings, and they're very easy to keep.

marshalli
darlingi

A. ezendami are also another favorite. I've raised at least 30 to adulthood and I have only ever seen one single specimen that ever threw a threat posture (this one did throw them all day and night long though). My AF didn't even give me trouble when I collected her 1i spiderlings that hatched with her. They are more of a dive into the burrow type. They are fast and capable of bursts of extreme speed, although not typically a difficult t to deal with in terms of housings and maintenance. They aren't out quite as much as the above two (but you do see them), and when small they aren't the best eaters (some can be a downright pain), but once they get to maybe 1.5" they become very good eaters. They also grow much slower than the Ceratogryus. They may not have cool horns, but dang, they have one of the cooler carapaces I have ever seen.

H. gigas are very cool, too as mentioned. Ravenous eaters, spectacular tunnel makers and really fast growth. For a relatively plain looking t, they're really impressive and highly underrated. Plus they're known to dive into water and even snatch fish...my kind of tarantula...hehe.

I. mira is another, but you have to be content with not seeing your super beautiful spider for long periods of time. But for me, the trapdoor factor is just too much to resist. They're good eaters and fairly fast growers, and a pretty small species, considered by many to be a dwarf. I never see mine and always seem to miss the flash as they make the kill, but its still one of my favorite species:)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
For a first OW, I would suggest a Ceratogyrus species. I have a couple darlingis that I really like. Decent growth rate, good eaters, not very defensive for an OW. I don't have experience with marshalli, but I know @cold blood often recommends them. Augacephalus ezendami is another nice option, although mine are much slower growing than my darlingis are.

A different option might be getting a slightly feistier NW species. I am partial to Ephebopus uatuman and murinus. I rehoused each of these the same day I rehoused my darlingis, all of a similar size, and I got WAY more attitude from them than I got from the OWs. I do not have E. cyanognathus yet so cannot speak to that species, but I definitely want one.

All of these options should be quite a bit less pricey than a balfouri, as well.
I actually decided to go for a C. Marshalli after a little bit of research. Whatever I don't pick up this week I will get this next time it is warm enough for shipping. C. Darlingi is one I am considering as well.