Germs??

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone know if it is possible for an animal to get sick from a virus a human has?

I'm aware of the obvious ones but more interested in my specific situation, which is that I've got a Crested Gecko and my girlfriend has bronchitis, laryngitis, a cold and possibly phnemonia (mind any spelling mistakes please).

Just wondering if I should be worried or not.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm no scientist or anything, but I certainly wouldn't take any risks! She needs to stay away from the wee lizard until she's better--no handling, no touching its food, no coughing near its enclosure.

Can one human being even HAVE that many diseases at once? (Though I don't think laryngitis is specifically a disease, but a secondary effect of some other illness or infection.)

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's telling me "its not transferable".....haha.
I'm somewhat nervous about it though, which is why I ask.

And yeah, its possible. No, you wont get much sleep around someone when they do have that many, but sometimes a person is worth it. ;)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
afaik, it is rare to cross species that much
True, but better safe than sorry. :) I don't get paranoid over my tarantulas catching anything, as they're WAY too different and I'm not even sure they *can* catch diseases. But my ball python? Definitely. He's already been to the vet once for what amounts to a very early-caught cold/flu, I don't want to chance it. He's my baby. {D

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just tell her to stop touching the herps and to get in bed. Then go make her some soup! {D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone know if it is possible for an animal to get sick from a virus a human has?

I'm aware of the obvious ones but more interested in my specific situation, which is that I've got a Crested Gecko and my girlfriend has bronchitis, laryngitis, a cold and possibly phnemonia (mind any spelling mistakes please).

Just wondering if I should be worried or not.
Virus's are usually very host specific as they use the host's RNA and DNA to reproduce. I wouldn't worry.