Geolycosa vultuosa

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

some pics of my couples (2,2). sadly the males are adult, but the females have one molt to go.
please recognize the difference of colour, the females have :
one is very light and the other is dark, like it's typical in this species.
and this is the reason why determination about colour is sometimes misleading !

1 = male and female
2 = male
3,4,5 = dark female

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

6,7 = light female

8,9 = entrance of burrow after digging (dark female)

bye, oli

davisfam

Arachnoknight
HELLO FRIEND! :]

.. Those are some beautiful specimens, WOW! :D Thanks soo much for posting this thread; it's not only informative but shows the true beauty in this species! Wonderful photos! :]

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a pretty nice set up if i do say so myself!! :worship:

revilo

Arachnoknight
:worship: thanks a lot

of course it's my pleasure to show my loved spiders, especially when i get some compliments for doing it {D this is the food for every spiderfreak :}

oli

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Oli, this is an Asian species, right?

Impressive burrowing...is that a sand/clay mix?

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It has a wide distribution, going from central Asia up until southeastern Europe (Balkans primarily).
Great spiders, and great pics. :)
Revilo, mind telling the bodylengths of your specimens?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Beautiful spiders! Looks like you've got some nice setups, too.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

no, it isn't a sand-clay mix. it is a natural ground, the german name is löß for this kind of ground - sorry, no idea in english.
but löß contents clay parts i will say and i mixed up a little bit of sand ...so you are right in one way ;)
distribution is like tarantula hawk said.

the bodylength of the females is about 18 mm, maybe a little bit more.
the males are about 16 to 17 mm.

btw : setup is most simple - only as much as possible of substrate and a little piece of bark, that's all...
the container is 20 x 30 x 20 cm (LxBxH) and i filled it up with 15 cm of substrate in the behind part.

the entrance of burrow is looking like a little vulcano, i think LOL :D
this i like the most {D

bye

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

yeah this is definitly true ! the high contrasting pattern and the very nice ochre colour is really beautiful. not a big species, but a neat one ;)

k.r., oli

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi all :)

Oli, Löß is River sand, sand broken down to become clean, fine ground. A fine example of this is a natural Spring... the sand deposited by such is Löß. It is a very good substrate. No wonder your Wolfs look so content! :clap:

Beautiful Wolfs!

Cheers, S.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi silberrücken :)

thanks a lot for your helpful information ! i really appreciate this.

i found this ground on an erosion slope in the forest.

the environment representative of my city explained me that this löß is a "product" of the pre glacial time.
löß is a wind sediment, that is builded out of the blown away sand- and gravel sedimentation from the ice age.
and in the ice age it was builded like you explained ;)

but what is the enghlish word for this ?? i would be happy if you know this...

cheers, oli

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi Oli! :)

I believe the best word in English would be "Sediment".

Many Wolf spiders here in Florida seek out wind-blown areas where sand is formed into small "dunes" and flat areas. Here they seek out the best places to make their burrows.

I hope this helps a tiny bit.

You have such beautiful spiders and enclosures!

(Did I already say that? LOL)

Cheers from Florida!

S.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are great looking Geolycosa. I have a female Geolycosa wrighti that is quite the beast. She is nearly as big as a H. carolinensis. I would have argued til the sun went down that the female in that hole w/ those big orange chelicerae was a H. carolinensis . The colors are quite similar to Hogna carolinensis. But as stated above color patterns is not always key to identification.

revilo

Arachnoknight
Those are great looking Geolycosa. I have a female Geolycosa wrighti that is quite the beast. She is nearly as big as a H. carolinensis. I would have argued til the sun went down that the female in that hole w/ those big orange chelicerae was a H. carolinensis . The colors are quite similar to Hogna carolinensis. But as stated above color patterns is not always key to identification.
yes, especially not only orange colour of chelicerae;)

i really would love to see some pictures from your big geolycosa :) it's always very exciting to me to see some pics of the beautiful lycosidae spp. from the u.s.

to silberrücken : yes, you did...but i love to hear this again and again LOL {D

sediment, o.k. so i will use this term next time. thanks for teaching :worship:

bye, oli

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

thanks for the link ! nice compact wolfie - i like the compact habitus wolfes especially.
are you sure with geolycosa ?

bye,oli

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi,

thanks for the link ! nice compact wolfie - i like the compact habitus wolfes especially.
are you sure with geolycosa ?

bye,oli
yep. it's a geo. pic taken at a bad angle, spider not as compact as it appears in the photo. it has a big ole' dome of a head (carapace). i guess i did have another pic on aboards... http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=188777 the spider is so dark it's still a bad pic lol