Geolycosa discovery in the yard

Well, I ran into quite the surprise today trying to catch grasshoppers for my invert collection. I was pouncing on a small grasshopper when I saw a thumbs width hole in the ground with little red legged spiders huddled together near the edge of the hole. I get my flashlight to find a massive female burrowing wolf spider giving me eyeshine so I did a little excavation and fished her out with an extra long pipe cleaner and caught around 40 or so little ones. She has black tufts of setae on her forelegs and was giving quite the threat posture when I captured her. Fed her a larger local species of locust and the babies joined in on the feeding. I wish I had a camera or a phone so I could share pictures because I'm not quite sure what species she is due to not encountering one in michigan before. Shes in between the size of the carolina wolf spider and a nursery web spider. I know how difficult it can be to care for these in captivity but I believe I can pull it off. If I am successful I will start breeding them for the classifieds.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve collected them before (also Michigan specimens) and actually got them to live for quite some time. Unfortunately, I could never find males and the females I would find only gave me dud sacs.

I’ve collected them before (also Michigan specimens) and actually got them to live for quite some time. Unfortunately, I could never find males and the females I would find only gave me dud sacs.
Then I am fortunate to have quite a few slings at good health, though, I am wary of interbreeding if I can possibly find more bred females in my yard. I have a loamy soil on my property and there is an abundance of diversity in insects. Even found a fairly uncommon green tree frog in the tall grasses in my garden earlier today.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Males will be out soon, Sept-Oct. The few males I have found were clinging to blades of tall grass @ night. The most common species in Michigan is Geolycosa missouriensis.