Genus Lycosa

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve always been a huge Lycosidae nerd myself, and lately I’ve been very interested in the genus Lycosa (known most famously for Italy’s L. tarantula). They seem like the grand daddy of all true spiders with their massive size and other wolf spider attributes. I’ve seen a notable amount of species such as L. singoriensis kept in the European trade, and they seem to be widespread nearly everywhere but the United States. Has anyone here in the U.S. ever kept a Lycosa sp. or know someone who has? Does the Fish and Wildlife service not allow them to be imported or do importers just not have an interest in them?

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I’ve kept a Spanish lycosa, came in a fruit packet! They’re pretty easy to keep with typical true spider care.

I know some people who’ve caught their own in the states, Id imagine with the necessary permits you could export some out of the EU or get someone to catch and send some to you interstate...

It’s just that they sadly don’t catch the interest of collectors who are too busy with other inverts. Real shame...

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve kept some Indonesian species and Lycosa singoriensis. I’ve gotten sacs from all of them, but there isn’t ever much interest when they hatch.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve kept some Indonesian species and Lycosa singoriensis. I’ve gotten sacs from all of them, but there isn’t ever much interest when they hatch.
Interesting. I suppose Ctenids and Sparassids just have more of a draw for a lot of keepers.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Really odd, if I were nearer to you I’d get some... Anyone ever seen L.Aragogi in captivity?

OcelynxBeldrogue

Arachnopeon
Greetings, my fellow wolf spider fans).
I became a Lycosa singoriensis owner just today and was looking for some useful keeping info here, on Arachnoboards, but found more questions than answers, hehe.
It's actually a funny story, my dad, who lives in the countryside, found one in his bathroom and was quite shocked by the fact of a neighborhood with such a big spider (the biggest species of our area btw). There are not so many big spiders in Ukraine and most of them are not bigger than 3 cm long in leg span, so he didn't even think it's a native species at first). And so he brought it to me, as he's aware of my spider hobby.
I really want to breed these beautiful creatures, so I pinged keepers in my area in case someone also breeding L. singoriensis. If I'll get some decent results, I'll share them here).
I’ve seen a notable amount of species such as L. singoriensis kept in the European trade, and they seem to be widespread nearly everywhere but the United States. Has anyone here in the U.S. ever kept a Lycosa sp. or know someone who has? Does the Fish and Wildlife service not allow them to be imported or do importers just not have an interest in them?
In case of breeding success, I can try to send some to the U.S., there shouldn't be many papers, if at all, and if they are needed I know just the right person to help me with them).
Does anyone have info on L. singoriensis or tarantula (other than Wikipedia)? Leg span, care, etc. I've always wanted to get some but I don't believe they're in the U.S. hobby.
Since in my area they are well known I can translate some interesting stuff about them. Plus, here's a cool paper about Lycosa venom and some morphometry.
Weight: 2,6-7 g.
Body length: male - 14-27 mm, female - 18-31 mm.
Leg span up to 7 cm.
Chelicerae and pedipalps have bright orange-yellow shades. They also have these distinctive Lycosa red spots under the chelicerae.
Lifespan (generalization for all Lycosas): male - 2 years, female - 4 and more (how much more is unspecified).
Main prey: Coleoptera and Orthoptera.
Main enemies: Pompilidae and Parasitica wasps, mole crickets, and cool Selevinia mice.
Hunts mostly from its burrow, but at night can wander around it. Burrows can be up to 60 cm deep.
Lycosa_singoriensis_Nest_Lycosidae-zoom.jpg
"Distributed in the steppes and forest-steppes from Austria and Hungary to the Caspian Sea, Central Asia, Southern Siberia, the Far East of Russia, and northwestern China. It also lives in Turkey, the Middle East, and Egypt. In Ukraine, it is distributed almost throughout the territory, except for the main part of the Carpathians (however, it occurs in the Volcanic Massif). Occurs occasionally to the north, especially on the banks of rivers with sandy soils."
Pairing pretty similar to Theraphosidae's as far as I know. They usually mate during the late summer-early autumn. In the spring, the female lays 200-700 eggs in a cocoon, which she's warming in the sun, sitting at the edge of the burrow. After slings hatched (usually in May), she collects them on the dorsal part of the abdomen and travels, occasionally dropping some of the offspring and thus spreading them. The female can even cross small water obstacles during her travel. Not sure if they delay egg sac drop to the spring in captivity tho.