Genus Lycosa

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnodemon
I’ve always been a huge Lycosidae nerd myself, and lately I’ve been very interested in the genus Lycosa (known most famously for Italy’s L. tarantula). They seem like the grand daddy of all true spiders with their massive size and other wolf spider attributes. I’ve seen a notable amount of species such as L. singoriensis kept in the European trade, and they seem to be widespread nearly everywhere but the United States. Has anyone here in the U.S. ever kept a Lycosa sp. or know someone who has? Does the Fish and Wildlife service not allow them to be imported or do importers just not have an interest in them?

ColeopteraC

Arachnoknight
I’ve kept a Spanish lycosa, came in a fruit packet! They’re pretty easy to keep with typical true spider care.

I know some people who’ve caught their own in the states, Id imagine with the necessary permits you could export some out of the EU or get someone to catch and send some to you interstate...

It’s just that they sadly don’t catch the interest of collectors who are too busy with other inverts. Real shame...

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve kept some Indonesian species and Lycosa singoriensis. I’ve gotten sacs from all of them, but there isn’t ever much interest when they hatch.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnodemon
I’ve kept some Indonesian species and Lycosa singoriensis. I’ve gotten sacs from all of them, but there isn’t ever much interest when they hatch.
Interesting. I suppose Ctenids and Sparassids just have more of a draw for a lot of keepers.

ColeopteraC

Arachnoknight
Really odd, if I were nearer to you I’d get some... Anyone ever seen L.Aragogi in captivity?