Genus Dolomedes

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey padikson do u have a ventral shot for any of those tenebrosus females?oh btw just got my copy of spiders of connecticut today and will see if i can scan the descriptions of tenbrosus and scriptus up here.tells how to determine the two species.nice book!

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ventral shots are difficult with these guys. They stick to the bark rather than the sides of the container. I'll see if I can prod one onto the side for a shot.

hey padikson do u have a ventral shot for any of those tenebrosus females?oh btw just got my copy of spiders of connecticut today and will see if i can scan the descriptions of tenbrosus and scriptus up here.tells how to determine the two species.nice book!

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Albineus female molted. I don't think she is adult yet based on pictures I've seen online and her size. I am expecting her to molt into the grey w/ white described in guides and to get larger. She's about 3" leg span now.

After her next molt, if she looks adult, I will introduce another male. I will likely move her to a large enclosure and let the male in after she gets settled.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a minute there I thought that was a male! :eek: How do you tell male from female in this genus? The reason why I ask is because the pedipalps are large on the females too.

Black Widow88

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Both my males are smaller and have distinct boxing gloves on their pedipalps. The angle of the this photo may make the pedipalps on the female appear fat on the ends, but that is not the case.

For a minute there I thought that was a male! How do you tell male from female in this genus? The reason why I ask is because the pedipalps are large on the females too.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
man that female is amazing!i think u need to catch me one of these ;)
awesome pics btw

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
some new shots of this tenebrosus and her eggcase.it apears to be growing in size quite rapidly since she laid it aswell.looking good so far :]