Genus Dolomedes

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ive been thinking we should have a thread dedicated to Dolomedes.
theres been some topics on them lately so why not have a place to keep all of our images and findings on these spiders in one spot.
heres some shots i took today

Dolomedes tenebrosus unsexed sub adult

Last edited:

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alright, here are my better pictures

D. tenebrosus

D. albineus

D. unknown

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi there,

N I C E ! ! !

Keep them coming :clap: :worship: :clap:

Greetings,

Stefan

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heres a big lady I had the pleasure of encountering... I tried raising the babies but they were too small for the pinhead crickets I ordered so I released them (I had wolf spider babies at the same time which took care of the crickets).

And yes they could crawl out of that KK... I had some cloth on top of it, I took that picture once I brought them outside and they started scattering.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
THANK YOU!:worship: I've had the pleasure to encounter a female with a sac living in a hole in a log filled with rain water at camp. I managed to get a pic of her when she was out crawling on her log a few days before she made the sac. And I never managed to get a decent pic because I think I might've scared her and she went under a tangle of vines that was on her log and she was well camouflaged.

That was the only pic that I could get. I didn't get it developed yet because I didn't know which camera it was in but fortunately I found 2 of the cameras that I used last year one is done and the other one has 24 pics left that I plan to use for none other then taking insects and spider pics hopefully all will turn out decent and clear and that the bugs will cooperate.:D

And the reason why I think that the spider I saw that lived in the log was a Dolomedes sp. was because of these 2 reasons:

♥ It had similar markings to the ones in the first 2 pics

♥ Every time she was peering out from the water in the log with her sac I would try to catch her. Never did as she always jumped back into the water with her sac!

And one of the pics shows one in water so that's what got me thinking the spider that I saw was a Dolomedes sp. Can you tell me what method they use to stay underwater? I'm familiar with this one. Thanks! And nice photos!

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
THANK YOU!:worship: I've had the pleasure to encounter a female with a sac living in a hole in a log filled with rain water at camp. I managed to get a pic of her when she was out crawling on her log a few days before she made the sac. And I never managed to get a decent pic because I think I might've scared her and she went under a tangle of vines that was on her log and she was well camouflaged.

That was the only pic that I could get. I didn't get it developed yet because I didn't know which camera it was in but fortunately I found 2 of the cameras that I used last year one is done and the other one has 24 pics left that I plan to use for none other then taking insects and spider pics hopefully all will turn out decent and clear and that the bugs will cooperate.:D

And the reason why I think that the spider I saw that lived in the log was a Dolomedes sp. was because of these 2 reasons:

♥ It had similar markings to the ones in the first 2 pics

♥ Every time she was peering out from the water in the log with her sac I would try to catch her. Never did as she always jumped back into the water with her sac!

And one of the pics shows one in water so that's what got me thinking the spider that I saw was a Dolomedes sp. Can you tell me what method they use to stay underwater? I'm familiar with this one. Thanks! And nice photos!

Black Widow88

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
nice one padkison!congrats on the spiderlings.im wondering if this could be an undescribed sp?
oh also today the head chef at my work brought me in a tenebrosus he cought in his yard.huge female looking very gravid.will get some pics of her soon

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice one padkison!congrats on the spiderlings.im wondering if this could be an undescribed sp?
oh also today the head chef at my work brought me in a tenebrosus he cought in his yard.huge female looking very gravid.will get some pics of her soon

OOOOOOH you are sooooooo lucky! Looking forward for the pics. And that was very nice and unusual for him to do that for you.

Black Widow88

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I found large four Dolomedes tenebrosus that looked gravid this past month. Three laid sacs and one molted. The one that molted was slightly smaller than the others, maybe 3.5" leg span vs a 4" leg span.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah id say this girl is easily 3"+
my camera sucks in bad lighting but i manged to get this shot of her tonight.
gonna set her up in a new enclosure this weekend

Helio

Arachnopeon
Escaped, and then i found him dead (aquatic species...the floor of my house is too dry :/)

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awwwwwwww so sorry to hear that! May he rest in peace looking over you....

Black Widow88

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Note how this Dolomedes tenebrosus egg sac has swollen. First picture is shortly after sac was created. Second picture is yesterday. Do all spider sacs do this? I am assuming the swelling has something to do with the spiderlings inside having hatched and are moving around, stretching out the sac and that an emergence is imminent.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
sac looks alot bigger man yeah.just rehoused my hopefully gravid female.hey any idea on how to tell the difference between d.scriptus and tenebrosus?according to spiders of the eastern usa they are distinguished by dif genitalia structure but i guesse they both overlap the same habitats.i just ordered the book spiders of connecticut the other day so hopefully that will help figure this out.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gee that is weird because the one I saw had a sac that was waaaaay smaller then this one. But the spider had similar markings to this one. I'm confused! :?

Black Widow88