Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Genus Dolomedes

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by syndicate, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Advertisement
    Proper_tea: It was in a lake but there were plenty of logs so it's hide out could've been one of them. It might've been a six spotted fishing spider from the looks of it.

Wolfie: DAMN! That thing is huge! And thank you for the link and the tip I will definitely try this.....when my mom is far away. LOL! :D

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

2. RodG

RodG Arachnoknight Old Timer

Great photos everyone:clap: One of my most favorite groups of true spiders:)

3. Carolina_wolfie

Carolina_wolfie Arachnosquire Old Timer

I captured that beautiful spider years ago. She was very easy to find at night with a headlight. Yeah, I thought the Dolomedes vittatus specimen which I am holding in the photos was HUGE for the species! Heck, it was nearly as big (if not the same size) as a large adult Dolomedes tenebrosus!

4. proper_tea

proper_tea Arachnobaron

What kind of water do those hang out by? I'm in Ithaca at the moment (if that means anything to you) and there are lots of waterfalls and fast moving creeks here... too fast for them?

5. Carolina_wolfie

Yeah, I am fairly sure that fast moving water is too fast for fishing spiders (Dolomedes). Their habitat is typically ponds, lakes, slow moving/still creeks, canals, rivers, etc... Of course, the BEST time to find these spiders is at night with a headlight.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  6. That's what I was thinking too about the size. Amazing though. And what a beauty!

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

7. syndicate

syndicate Arachnoemperor Old Timer

USA
    Carolina_wolfie very nice dolomedes you've found there!not to often to see images of them.
    heres the result of my recent tenebrosus breeding

[​IMG]

8. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :D

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

9. syndicate

USA
    Dolomedes tenebrosus
    Adult Female

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. syndicate

USA
    also heres some shots from today when i released the spiderlings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was very cool to watch them all disperse!there was a nice breeze in the air today so they were going everywhere.
    heres a couple more pics of momz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Greyhalo

Greyhalo Arachnoknight Old Timer

A Dolomedes sp. I found a few weeks back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. syndicate

USA
    thats an awesome looking spider grey!i really wanna know if thats D.scriptus

13. Carolina_wolfie

Thank you very much.

14. Carolina_wolfie

I am very happy to learn that you've been successful in breeding this AWESOME species!

By the way, did you keep any spiderlings or did you release them all?

15. syndicate

USA
    i released all of them except a small group.there quite tricky to raise up.tiny lil slings

16. Awwwwwwwwww! So pretty! I absolutely love the metallic blue on the spiderling's legs.

And it must've been amazing to see them disperse. I know because I had the pleasure of see it happen with some common house spiders outside my house. I showed my mom and she thought it was cool.

It was like magic. Oh and the mom was near by too "watching" them. Probably wishing them all the luck in the world. :D

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

17. cogmonkey17

cogmonkey17 Arachnopeon

Dolomodes tenebrosus mature female

i looked around the net, (questionably) there are 9 species of Dolomedes in the states, the closes one to D. tenebrosus is D. scriptus, but the spider i found doesn't have the white "W" marks on the abdomen that's associated with D. scriptus , so 98% sure that it's Dolomedes tenebrosus

here is the eye candy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. syndicate

USA
    awesome pics!

19. Awwwwwwww! She made a sac. Are you going to keep it?

Black Widow88 [​IMG]

20. cogmonkey17

cogmonkey17 Arachnopeon

i don't think i could tear her away from her future offspring, literally, she never lets go, I've been watching her though, she has since moved away (photos were taken this afternoon) from the sack (about an inch), i guess she is preparing her nursery web. As much as i would like to take pictures as this progresses, it's imperative to set up a mini studio in order to get pics that are worth taking, this unfortunately means unwanted stress put on the spider (as if that isn't enough along with the natural maternal stress of preparing for 300+ babies). I do plan to wean a portion of the "advantaged" offspring, the others though will have to either be put down, or used as food for their siblings, sadly these are not native to my area, introducing a new species would mean stress or possible "over-running" of spiders that already control my area. I also cannot release them from where the mother came from, because i don't really know where that was (at least 300 miles from my location)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.