Genus Cyriopagopus (a.k.a. Haplopelma)

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
u r using a nice camera there ben! i have one as well but 8mp:D i assume mine is better but i cant get nice pics like yours?

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

i would have gotten a ventral shot, but these were taken in sequence, if you get what i mean :eek:

Rob

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can anyone show me how to use photoshop? i can take good pics already but i want to improve it.

zLOST

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no you don't have to pay
<flame>if you don't mind about breaking the law and being the thief. how would you feel if someone will steal your car/pc/spiders just because he wanted to have it?

there are opensource/freeware alternatives available for nearly every software you could ever need for playing with pictures. but in general it's just easy to grab anything at DC++ instead of searching and respecting others rights...</flame>

Apophis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Søren, could you please tell how you can tell? I'm eager to learn! :D

Cheers, Sietse

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Apophis said:
Søren, could you please tell how you can tell? I'm eager to learn!
It's @Søren not me but I would guess it's the swollen base of the palpal tarsi that can be seen sometimes on sub males of other species, that or something else totaly.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Exactly - a swollen (pear shaped) palpal tarsus in combination with a prolateral swelling on the distal part of tibia (tibial apophysis in the budding) is a good sign about sex in subadult (last instar before maturity) males - at least in the genus Haplopelma. My guess is that he will reach adulthood with the next molt.

Regards
Søren

It's @Søren not me but I would guess it's the swollen base of the palpal tarsi that can be seen sometimes on sub males of other species, that or something else totaly.

Apophis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for the information guys! Might come in handy someday!

All the best,
Sietse

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i learn something new everyday.

i was holding a big female molt to see what differences were there and I didnt see anything, what a subtle difference. but makes sense,,,the change comes gradually, interesting.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
great pics everyone. i've been thinking about buying a pet hole..though i have a few none Haplopelma pet holes, and haven't decided to make the plunge yet.

thanks for the info soren...you sure know your stuff. how long have you been into spiders if you don't mind me asking?

illmatic, those are some awesome pictures! makes me want to work on my photography techniques to try and get some nicer pictures. :clap:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks for the info soren...you sure know your stuff. how long have you been into spiders if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind you asking. I have worked with spiders since late eighties/early nineties, and exclusively with asians since the late nineties, with research trips in the field at least once every year since 2002 ;-)

Regards
Søren