General venom information

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This isn't just focussed on tarantulas, but if you want a closer look into what makes up the venom of a species you have / want to keep, have at least a basic scientific interest, this is a site to go to: UniProtKB (Universal Protein Knowledgebase) - CLICKY

How this works
In the search field on the top of page, just enter the genus (!) name you're looking for. It will then list you a list of results including the species of the the genus you selected.

Example using Poecilotheria as search:
Unbenannt.jpg

Under the column "entry" you can select the toxin sequence you'd like to look at and you will get a more detailed view of what its effect are. As seen in the picture above, some of it is already reviewed, others hasn't been yet. I suggest watching the help video linked on the top right of the page.

People like myself are just interested in these things in general, but some of you with a real scientific background may find this more than intriguing. Either way, I just thought I'd throw this out here for those who'd like to look at more in-depth on the composition of venom.

This isn't just restricted to tarantulas, but you can find all sorts of animals venom composition on there. You will for example true spider or snake venom composition on there, too. I have found the site informational although I am not a scientist. But if you spend some time reading up on these things, you may find it something worthwhile to learn. Those of you that don't like to look up stuff on their own - don't bother with this site. It won't do much but confuse you.

Cheers!
~Jan

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Would be a lot cooler if it explained medical symptoms aswell as the biological process

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Would be a lot cooler if it explained medical symptoms aswell as the biological process
It does, to a degree depending on what you are looking at.

This for example is taken from the H. mac

Delta-theraphotoxin-Hm1b
[...]The native toxin specifically activates the voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.1/SCN1A in somatosensory neurons to elicit acute pain and mechanical allodynia. [...] Half-life of the recombinant toxin is >40 hours in human serum, and >70 hours in human cerebrospinal fluid [...]

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
It does, to a degree depending on what you are looking at.

This for example is taken from the H. mac

Delta-theraphotoxin-Hm1b
[...]The native toxin specifically activates the voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.1/SCN1A in somatosensory neurons to elicit acute pain and mechanical allodynia. [...] Half-life of the recombinant toxin is >40 hours in human serum, and >70 hours in human cerebrospinal fluid [...]
The part about the sodium channel is what I meant by biological processes of the venom.

All the species I checked didn't have any medical symptoms, it's probably a select minority.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's not meant to be a database for looking up effects of a toxin. It's, like you said, primarily aimed at what the biological processes are caused. As I said, it's more scientific than for the general public looking to find what symptoms are induced by what toxin component. Sorry.

You will find, for example in case of Phlogius sp. that a toxin is a Cardiotoxin affecting the heart, or things like I quoted above that a toxin will induce pain. But that's the most of it. Still, some may find it interesting.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
It's not meant to be a database for looking up effects of a toxin. It's, like you said, primarily aimed at what the biological processes are caused. As I said, it's more scientific than for the general public looking to find what symptoms are induced by what toxin component. Sorry.

You will find, for example in case of Phlogius sp. that toxin is a a Cardiotoxin affecting the heart, or things like I quoted above that a toxin will induce pain. But that's the most of it. Still, some may find it interesting.
No need to be sorry, you linked an interesting database that I otherwise would have never seen.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fair enough. I just learned some interesting errors another database I used to use made in regards to certain species. It does help to broaden ones horizon - if one is willing to invest some time and has an initial interest of course ;)

Either way, enjoy browsing. I find it most interesting myself.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
:Dthanks for posting the link just wish it had a dumbed down version i could understand:D