Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

General Tips for a freshly caught LP

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Gallo, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Gallo

Gallo Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi guys

This is my very first experience handling and caring for my own T

I caught it outside, its a beautiful lasiodora parahybana, i dont know yet if its a male or a female, but ive seen some people relating the abundance of hair as a trace common in males, it has been with me for 2 days or so, ive been doing a lot of research, seen some videos on youtube, but i know its not the most reliable source

im basically going with the infos i got here with you guys

I know its not the best tarantula to begin and learn the how to, and even less because i didnt raise it since it was a sling, but im certain its a beauty of a juvie, and im excited about having her as my pet

Shes very calm, im not very sure what was the last time she fed, ive tried to give it a live diplopode, but im not certain if hes too big for her, if shes not hungry, or if she just doesnt eat it at all (this last one i hardly doubt)

Also I got a little beetle inside the terrarium, it was injuried so it could not fly (apparently), and i dont know if she got it, or if he just buried inside the substract or got away xD

I also had the information that maybe its not feeding because its close to molting, and in case she molts, its preferable i dont handle her again for some time. In that case, how many should I wait before i can take her out again?

I keep the terrarium umid as much as possible, and today i finally handled her for the first time, i know its not good to get her unless its really needed, but i just had to, she seemed a little shy at the beginning, didnt want to leave the terrarium, but also she didnt kicked hairs or runned, but she walked a little and ended up sorta popping (???) a white deject on my arm. After that, i waited for her to walk some more and got her inside her house again

So my questions are: the white deject is what I really think it is (aracno poop)? Have you guys had that experience before, and is it common?

AND

Can she eat that diplopode i mentioned?

Im posting pics from my T, her meal, shes about 2" so it may just be a recent juvenile

Also, give some name suggestions if you feel like it ;)

im thinking about Laracna or Aragog depending on gender

Thanks for the attention, and sorry for any grammatical fail, not a native speaker here xD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Popcorn Popcorn x 1
  2. LP's are generally known as a good beginners species.
    I wouldn't handle IT unless absolutely neccesary.
    Anyway: the enclousure, is that what is pictured in pic nr 3?
    Og so, I'd replace it by something larger and not as high, throw in a water Bowl with water in it and a cork flat for a hide - for moisture/humidity: keep the soil more or less as moist as it was where you took her - and don't worry about humidity and temperature, if it follows the outside :)
    Beautiful spider!
    I keep a sling of the same species and I cannot wait for it to get big!

Also: you did very much so get pooped on, and yes this is common, especially aborreals will do it :)

Good luck with it!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

Isn't it illegal to collect tarantulas in Brazil?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

Don’t feed it the millioede, they can peoduce quinones which can be harmful and even lethal to the millipede.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Its illegal to export, but id imagine locals dont have restrictions for just catching them.

Like it would be illegal for me to go to Arizona collect local T's and sell them abroad to Europeans but at the same time I can collect some take them home and it's a non-issue. Not sure if its like that there, but its my assumption.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

I thought Brazil had similar laws to countries like South Africa, and I know how strict Brazil is with their wildlife which is why I asked.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

We can sex it for you if you'd like. We just need a picture of it's underside (right between the upper set of booklungs) or a picture of the inside of its molt (focused on the same area) the next time it molts

That's likely just a myth. The two ways I listed above are the only reliable ways to sex a female or juvenile male.

Stick to here for research. Online care sheets and YouTube are notorious for bad and/or outdated info.

The good news is this isn't actually a terrible species to start with, and it doesn't matter whether it's a sling or not :) The biggest issues you'll have to worry about will be the hair kicking (just because it hasn't kicked yet, doesn't mean it won't, and those hairs are brutal), and the feeding response these guys normally have, which will make it dangerous for you to handle.

I don't know whether they can eat them or not, but I personally wouldn't suggest it. Many species release substances that make them unpalatable to predators, or will actually cause irritation to the animal. Although the irritation probably won't affect another invertebrate, I wouldn't want to chance it.

I'm going to suggest a rehouse anyway, so it's not a huge deal, but in most cases you'll want to remove a feeder before it can burrow. When tarantulas molt, they're very weak and cannot defend themselves. And that's often when the long lost feeder reappears, to eat the defenseless tarantula

That could be part of it. But my money is on that fact that you just took it from its home and it's still trying to adjust to the new surroundings. They can take a long time to readjust after that. My LP would eat right up until she molted if I'd let her. These guys have a serious prey drive.

I wouldn't handle at all, but to answer your question, I would wait at least a month and feed it up a bit before trying to handle again. And always test the temperament before attempting to handle

Don't. Humidity is irrelevant for tarantulas, except when it's too humid and therefore dangerous for it. What you need to worry about is how moist the substrate is. These guys like semi-moist substrate, and can go fine with letting the substrate dry out from time to time. I would add water to about half the substrate, let it dry out, and then add water to the other side.

Personally, I wouldn't handle it at all. While I can't stop you, I have to at least say this is a terrible species to handle. The hairs are particularly bad, and even if it doesn't kick them at you, they can become detached as you handle it and get into your skin. They have voracious appetites, and I would never put a hand near mine, because I would get bitten. That's not a "maybe". It wouldn't be out of aggression, it would be because she would honestly mistake me for food. And it would hurt.

This is a roughly 3" molt of my LP.
    20190403_122542.jpg
    Those fangs are nearly a quarter of an inch, and she's nowhere near full sized. At full sized, those fangs are at risk of doing nerve damage if it bites you, especially on a finger

There's also the risk of killing your new pet in a fall. Despite how robust these guys look, they're very fragile and all it takes is a little fall to make their abdomen rupture and cause them to slowly bleed to death. And there's nothing you could do to help it, aside from maybe stepping on it to kill it faster out of mercy. All it takes is a gust of wind or breath, and the spider could bolt and fall to its death. Or if it moves too fast or tries to bite and you flinch, you could accidentally fling it to the floor, which would also end in death. So for the sake of your animal, I wouldn't handle it.

It is in fact poop. Which it does as a defense mechanism because it doesn't like what you're doing and is trying to scare you away from it. That should be taken as a warning.

Please, anything but that :meh:

Finally, here is a picture of my LP setup. It's very basic, but it's all you need.
    20190403_115021.jpg
    You say yours is only about 2", but I'm thinking your just talking about body length. We generally measure by Diagonal Legspan (DLS) on here, which is the measurement from one of the first front legs to the last back leg on the opposite side. Yours actually looks like it has a similar legspan to mine, which is about 4". So you'd want to have a similar sized enclosure to mine. As for substrate, you want to make sure you have enough substrate so that there's no more than 1.5x the legspan of the spider worth of space between the substrate and the lid of the enclosure. So for example, a 4" spider should have no more than 6" of space from the substrate to lid. This is to prevent any type of injury in a fall

All that being said (I know I wrote a lot, I always do, but it's all important stuff), welcome to the hobby! Always feel free to ask questions on here. This is an absolutely fantastic source of information on all things tarantula

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Dry sub and lots of food!:angelic: Naa, but dont overfeed them. But feedingresponse is insane with those!

9. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I don't know about Brazil, but I have been told by Chile natives that it is illegal to keep their native species in captivity without a permit.
    And I would definitely suggest putting a shirt on when you're dealing with this species and their horrible urticating hairs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

You are so awesome: has to be the power of Polenta :kiss:

@Gallo

Are you a Brazilian of Italian heritage, by chance? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Gallo

Gallo Arachnopeon

Nope thats my bioterium, i have a lot of differents insects around my house so i just get it and keep it for feeding

her enclosure is bigger but also its a bit too high, (the tamp is holed for air, and i take it of for better ventilation, she doesnt seem eager to leave when i do it) im going for a full glass terrarium soon so this is pretty much a temporary arrangement, the new enclosure will be here by the end of the week

im posting a photo of her house i took today

haha thanks i had a fear this would be something bad but if its just poop, np

the rest of your advice was already being followed and thank you very much!

I will proceed to release them right away, im glad it didnt go for the millioede when i offered it, thanks!

I will bring some good quality pics of its molt as soon as it happens so we can sex it(sorry for the low quality pics im sending, just lost my phone)

Good to know its ok to start with them, tough i know i dont have any experience thats why im being extra careful (beside my little handling adventure, i swear it wont happen again unless its a must)

I should've tought about this! I read that they get pretty weak when molting... I will rehouse soon and try to get that beetle if I can, im almost sure the new enclosure will be here before she starts to molt

I just hope she adapts fast, i know these guys eat a lot because of their growth rate, im afraid shes going to starve to death

I have a long forceps that i use to change the water dish (she keeps getting dirt on it) and will use to feed when needed, i find the prey drive pretty amazing and im almost sure it wont be a problem to handle. Im not trying to sound cocky or disrespectful - I truly appreciate you concern over me and my LPs safety, but even if I got bitten by it i would never throw it away like that, no, please! hahaha I know how fragile they are to falls and any kind of impact, and will keep this in mind

Im liking this little fella a lot and will do anything i can to protect and care for her and it well being, im learning constantly that less is more, so i try to let her away from the sun and always ventilated, and not to disturb or bother her except when changing water

my only worry is about the noise - how sensitive are they about it? I have construction happening near and frankly a lot of loud noises around my house all day, how bad is it for her?

And also, im little confused by the difference between moist and humid, i know this may sound totally idiotic, but can you explain this to me? because in my language they both seem to mean the same thing

im really glad i put her inside the terrarium soon after she pooped, i dont want to think about what could happen if i get her more stressed (and yeah, im pretty sure a bite even from a juvie like that will hurt a lot)

and i just later realized how much of a cliché "aragog", "ungoliant" "laracna" and such must sound to you guys hahahahah i hope this will be my worst beginner mistake :D

I tried to make the conversion of centimeters to inches, im pretty sure shes smaller than yours, but comparing the molt size i could say she should be about 3' now, but we will be sure when the molting comes, i cant wait for it!

FINALLY thanks for the tips about the enclosure size! This will help a lot with getting the next house, and one last question: what would be the ideal size so i dont have to rehouse her again? Can I get a bigger house so i wont need to change it later?

And please, feel free to write as much as you need to, i appreciate every help, suggestion and knowledge shared with me!

just the words "insane feeding response" sounds like music to me, thanks for the advice

working on the permit thing... and noted, not going shirtless next time

yes I am :)

thanks for all the info guys

I will keep following this thread, you guys are awesome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

:kiss:

13. Gallo

Gallo Arachnopeon

UPDATE:

I was able to get my hands on a cockroach, as soon as the poor bastard entered the terrarium she snatched it (it was quite impressive)

After that she started to put some web around her, so I think we are okay now, yay :)

Ill wait for 3 or 4 days now before i feed her again

14. PidderPeets

My LP was actually one of my 3rd tarantulas (along with a Caribena versicolor), bought as a sling. And I was still very much a beginner at that point. Their personality and feeding response is what makes some people consider them not beginner friendly. As long as you give it the respect it deserves and can deal with the feeding response, it's a perfectly fine first tarantula

I'm sure it'll settle in and start eating in no time. :) But in the mean time, there's no need to worry about it starving. You'll never have a pet with a slower metabolism. They don't even need to eat every month. As long as yours has a plump abdomen, there's nothing to worry about

Get used to the putting dirt in the water bowl part. :p That's a never ending battle we all have with our tarantulas. Just think of it as one of their many charms.

Of all my tarantulas, none are particularly sensitive to sound. The vibrations might bother it a bit, but it shouldn't be too bad

In a literal sense (at least in the US), the word "humidity" specifically refers to moisture in the air. It gets measured with a hygrometer and often confuses new keepers who think they need to maintain an exact percentage of humidity. This couldn't be further from the truth. Trying to achieve an exact humidity can often result in restricting the ventilation, which results in a hot, stuffy enclosure that becomes a breeding ground for bacteria that can kill your T. So although "moist" is still the right word in both instances, humidity means keeping the air moist, when you really need to be keeping the ground moist. That's why I was talking before about how moist the substrate is instead of the air. Hopefully that clears things up. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can word it differently

Ultimately it's your choice, but I think there's a lot of people on here that would scream if they see another "Aragog". :hilarious: If you want a name suggestion, I name all of mine after TV show characters that I like

Mine isn't full sized yet, so I can't give a good estimate off the top of my head, but I think a 10 gallon tank would be a good size. Others can correct me if need be. From what I could determine, in centimeters that should be about 50 L x 25 W x 30.5 H. Although a little bit wider than that wouldn't hurt. It won't be the worst thing in the world if you put it in an adult enclosure already, but you just need to make sure it has enough substrate to keep the "no more than 1.5x legspan in height" rule. As long as that's followed putting it in a larger enclosure is fine. You might see it less often if it decides to burrow, but at that size, it should predominantly stay out in the open

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Gallo

Gallo Arachnopeon

sure thing! she made its first meal today, it was a medium size cockroach

relieved!

yeah I got it! Ill research what are the substrates i have available at the local market so i get the better option for her

okay i ll keep in mind the 1.5x legspan proportion for height... Probably going for a 50L X 30 W X 30H to simplify things... Can i make a layer of compact dirt below the substrate to help me get the height i need for the juvie right now?

Thanks again for the attention

16. PidderPeets

For substrate, you can use any type of dirt/soil that isn't too chunky (you want to avoid large pebbles, wood chips or shavings, and similar rough or sharp materials) and doesn't have any pesticides, fertilizers, or other chemicals in it. You also want to avoid sand because tarantulas can't really make burrows in sand, plus it can be uncomfortable for them to walk on. The most common things that get suggested for substrate on here is either coconut fiber (also sold as coco coir, eco earth, etc), or plain top soil or fill dirt without any additives

17. Gallo

Gallo Arachnopeon

UPDATE:

She is particulary active today, i think its because its raining a lot

I was able to identify the (possible) gonoslit and im 90% certain of it

but we will only be able to know for sure when she molts

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.