Gemstones?

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
remember some stones explode in the oven!!!
And it's very hard to explain to mom what in the world happened there. :D

I think is a pretty good idea, they would look awesome. And i think that if they have no sharp points or sides, cant be more harmful than a water bowl ^^

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As for the energetic discussion, it has been proven that quartz and some other crystals can conduct different types of radiation/energy (such as radio waves) so it follows that currently untraceable energy like spirit, ki or whatever you want to call it could be channelled also. As a counterpoint it could be said that crystals serve only as a point for you to focus your own energy and any healing effects come entirely from yourself or the crystal practitioner, kind of like a meditative placebo if you will. In any case, I think many of these "new age" techniques do work if you believe in it, but you have to believe in it for it to work. The mind is more powerful than we give it credit for.
Firstly, I'd agree that there's probably little merit to baking the stones... but again, I don't know what temperature you're hoping to get them to, but exploding is normally something that river stones do, not so much gemstones.

Secondly, I think what you're talking about, etown, is the piezoelectric effect, which is the property of quartz (particularly, but there are plenty others) to give an electric charge if you push them. The opposite is also true - if you apply an electric charge, they will bend.

They don't, so much, 'conduct' radio waves.

Still, feel free to believe what you like. I'm just going to tell you (regardless of how much people don't like it) that this has been studied at length, and there isn't any healing aspect other than placebo.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
;-) The real difference as I see it is plain and simple:

Science is dynamic in changing it's models to fit our present understanding of reality

Religion is static in trying to fit our present understanding of reality into one existing model.

It's up to each individual to choose the way that makes most sense to him or her. But I personlly like this representation:

And for the stones - if they gives you pleasure to watch and ease of mind then go for it - put them in with the T. I don't think you should worry about the T being harmed by the minerals, except if they consisting of harmful substances or the like ...

Regards
Søren
Regards
Søren

I say go for it.

Let people make their "hocus-pocus" comments. Anyone who says this simply has no idea what they are talking about and surrenders their entire worldview to what the almighty god Science has to say. The new dumb religion. And science, as we know, is constantly changing its mind--that's how it works. Science provides models of the world, many of indispensable worth, but they are models, not the world itself.

...What were we talking about?

Oh yeah, anyway, put gems in the tank.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I love gemstones like agate, bloodstone, moonstone, ect.... and I was wondering if I could use them in my T enclosures?
Gemstones are supposed to have healing powers and give off certain energy so do you think that might effect the tarantulas in a bad way?
Put an aluminium hat to the T and won't be affected at all

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
12 year old post by a user who hasn't been here in a decade. Maybe let this one stay dead?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Sorry I have not see the date hahahahaha.

I read gems and tarantulas and my mind exploded xD

Plese close the thread and sorry