Gemstones?

McKenize

Arachnopeon
I love gemstones like agate, bloodstone, moonstone, ect.... and I was wondering if I could use them in my T enclosures?
Gemstones are supposed to have healing powers and give off certain energy so do you think that might effect the tarantulas in a bad way?

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not at all. Just make sure that if you find them out in the wilderness like geodes or something that you bake them to get rid of all the parasites and bacteria. :) Thats a wonderful idea though :) They only thing I would worry about is some of these gems tend to be sharp. I'd worry aout the T falling on them or scraping themselves on the rock.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gemstones are supposed to have healing powers and give off certain energy so do you think that might effect the tarantulas in a bad way?
Somehow I doubt it.

However, rocks of any kind in the enclosure provide no benefit to the T and can become a hazard if the spider scrapes itself on one, or falls onto it.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just beautyfull stones, i doubt the energy thing is real

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
remember some stones explode in the oven!!!
That's a very good point - although normally it's stones that have spent time around water, and not 'gemstones'.

There is no reason why you shouldn't add gemstones to your tarantula's enclosure. They're smart enough to web over something which is really bothering them, so they'll let you know if they don't want it.

As for the 'healing' properties of gemstones... despite really good attempts to observe this effect, it's been absolutely impossible to detect. Sorry, but there's really nothing to the magical healing/other properties of stones.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
remember some stones explode in the oven!!!

Good point. I was thinking since the center of the rock is already exposed there wouldnt be much of an air pocket left. But you never know.

Could you soak it in a mild bleach solution? I do this when I sanitize all my enclosure furniture for t's, mammals, reptiles, etc.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd doubt there's any need to bake something like agate or quartz. Wood needs to be baked because it's porous and can have bacteria living in/on it and other nasties burrowing through it. Probably any crystal or gemstone could be sterilized with diluted bleach or alcohol, rinsed thoroughly and then introduced to the tank. Use care with placement. An object doesn't necessarily need to be sharp to cause serious injury in a fall, only hard.

As for the energetic discussion, it has been proven that quartz and some other crystals can conduct different types of radiation/energy (such as radio waves) so it follows that currently untraceable energy like spirit, ki or whatever you want to call it could be channelled also. As a counterpoint it could be said that crystals serve only as a point for you to focus your own energy and any healing effects come entirely from yourself or the crystal practitioner, kind of like a meditative placebo if you will. In any case, I think many of these "new age" techniques do work if you believe in it, but you have to believe in it for it to work. The mind is more powerful than we give it credit for.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Somehow I doubt it.

However, rocks of any kind in the enclosure provide no benefit to the T and can become a hazard if the spider scrapes itself on one, or falls onto it.
See .. Now I was picturing polished stones when the OP mentioned this.

So I see no harm there. But jagged rocks bigger than the T itself can be a risk. IMO

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh hush.

I say go for it.

Let people make their "hocus-pocus" comments. Anyone who says this simply has no idea what they are talking about and surrenders their entire worldview to what the almighty god Science has to say. The new dumb religion. And science, as we know, is constantly changing its mind--that's how it works. Science provides models of the world, many of indispensable worth, but they are models, not the world itself.

...What were we talking about?

Oh yeah, anyway, put gems in the tank.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
See .. Now I was picturing polished stones when the OP mentioned this.

So I see no harm there. But jagged rocks bigger than the T itself can be a risk. IMO
But even then, a smooth rock wouldn't be great to fall onto either.

Let people make their "hocus-pocus" comments. Anyone who says this simply has no idea what they are talking about and surrenders their entire worldview to what the almighty god Science has to say. The new dumb religion.
Was this rant really necessary? There *is* a middle ground between "believe absolutely nothing" and "rabidly accept everything whether there's any good reason to or not, and then insult others for not being as enlightened as yourself" - if you ever find it, we'll be happy to have you along.

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
uhh ok

Apologies to anyone who actually took me seriously. Was trying to be inflammatory for the sake of... well for no sake I guess. No it wasn't necessary. That's why I made the little "What were we talking about" comment after my rant. Spore I hope we can still get along. Mckenzie- again, I like your idea.

I love science.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't worry, Robert_Jordan, some people like to pick apart every little thing anyone else says. :rolleyes: Watch, that comment will get picked apart.

I don't see a problem with putting stones in an enclosure, it's no different than a hide. I'm sure a log hide or a ceramic pot would be just as unpleasant to fall on, but we still put them in their tanks.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That could look pretty cool. Make sure the stones are also dug in all the way down to the bottom of the tank. You don't want the tarantula digging beneath it and having the stone collapse on top of it.

Kinetic energy is definitely not going to do any healing :)

Post some pics when you're done...

Scott

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
NB as evil as always LOL

If u put those gems in there, take a pic and show us how it is lookin =)

//Tiago