Gbb

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
lol... is there something wrong with my eyes or is that spider in the picture just not expressing full adult colouration?! (i don't see any green or blue!)

cheers! :D
- munis
It stand for Green Bottle Blue Its actual scientic name is Chromatopelma cyanopubescens. Both are too long so I just put GBB

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol... is there something wrong with my eyes or is that spider in the picture just not expressing full adult colouration?! (i don't see any green or blue!)

cheers! :D
- munis
Its not a full adult yet. :) The legs are turning nicely blue though.... And you can see the green starting to come through in lines in the carapace.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its not a full adult yet. :) The legs are turning nicely blue though.... And you can see the green starting to come through in lines in the carapace.
correct you are sir! when it finally does molt...it should have a mostly green carapace this time. should be showing full adult coloration after the next molt.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you think you need a water dish, use a coke or pepsi lid from bottle. They don't like moist substrate, but I did put a few drops of water down the side of my guys house once a week when he was small, it worked just fine.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you think you need a water dish, use a coke or pepsi lid from bottle. They don't like moist substrate, but I did put a few drops of water down the side of my guys house once a week when he was small, it worked just fine.
exactly! once they get bigger you can add a water dish. but as slings they just dont need it and its alot of trouble for nothing.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are from very dry, arid climates, but they still require a water dish. They cannot, however, stand moist substrate or RH. I have raised SEVERAL GBB's and have done extensive research on the species. Believe me, dropping water down the side onto the substrate would be way worse than having a water dish. A water dish will keep water away from the substrate.

Read this article. It is very well written and also suggests a water dish.
GBB article
well...if that works for you then by all means continue doing it. but as i currently have 15 GBB's ranging in size from 1/2" through full adults including 5 males and 4 adult females. i have also had 1 successful eggsac. (it only cost me 4 males ;) ) and ive never had any problem what so ever with just dripping water down the side of the enclosure. and from what ive heard from almost EVERYBODY else who raises this species..they havent either. by the way...this is from the article you said to read

"A waterdish is highly recommended, perhaps even essential for this species, unless they are fed very well in which case they will recieve moisture from their prey. Misting of spiderlings who have not been given waterdishes yet is necessary, though I try to make sure not to mist the substrate, just the sides of the container. Even slings don't seem to appreciate a moist substrate."

well fed is probly 3 crix a week. most spiders kept in captivity (that are actually taken care of) are well fed...most of the time they are OVER fed.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
green_bottle_04 - Congrats on your sac! I,too, have had a sac from this species. I currently waiting to see if my other female is going to lay a sac or molt. We need more of these t's around!

As far as what the article says, I totally agree with it. The OP said they were concerned because their GBB wasn't eating. If it's in pre-molt it's fine. Otherwise, it should have a small water dish since it isn't eating.

I think in this instance it's a personal opinion about what is needed. As long as you don't get the substrate moist you should be fine.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
green_bottle_04 - Congrats on your sac! I,too, have had a sac from this species. I currently waiting to see if my other female is going to lay a sac or molt. We need more of these t's around!

As far as what the article says, I totally agree with it. The OP said they were concerned because their GBB wasn't eating. If it's in pre-molt it's fine. Otherwise, it should have a small water dish since it isn't eating.

I think in this instance it's a personal opinion about what is needed. As long as you don't get the substrate moist you should be fine.
awsome! i hope you get another healthy sac! let me know if you do id love to have a few if you are selling!

youre absolutely right. if i didnt have some GBB's from the same sac as the person who OP'd id totally agree with you. we got ours from the same place and they are the same age. so they should be molting within a few days or a week of each other. and all of the ones i got from that sac are in premolt.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
!

youre absolutely right. if i didnt have some GBB's from the same sac as the person who OP'd id totally agree with you. we got ours from the same place and they are the same age. so they should be molting within a few days or a week of each other. and all of the ones i got from that sac are in premolt.

So yours is in premolt right now? I have come to the conclusion that even though its been a short time since it has molted last. I have come to this conclusion because I left a cricket in its enclosure for 24 hours and it pretty much ran away from it. Is a 2.5 gallen tank too big for this size spider? I thought I would go ahead and put it in there because it would be big enough after the last molt. I added alot to substrate to reduce the height. I put it in here before it went into pre molt but is this enclosure too big for it to hunt the cricket?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So yours is in premolt right now? I have come to the conclusion that even though its been a short time since it has molted last. I have come to this conclusion because I left a cricket in its enclosure for 24 hours and it pretty much ran away from it. Is a 2.5 gallen tank too big for this size spider? I thought I would go ahead and put it in there because it would be big enough after the last molt. I added alot to substrate to reduce the height. I put it in here before it went into pre molt but is this enclosure too big for it to hunt the cricket?
yes. all 3 of them that i got form that sac are in premolt. no a 2.5 gal is not too big for that size spider. espically since its getting ready to molt out bigger.