Gbb

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 2.75" GBB and it hasnt eaten since 2/5/07 Pre molt? Its abdomen is looking alittle small. Its last molt was 1/2/07. Someone please get back to me about this.

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know a whole lot about GBBs but that sounds like it might be a little too soon for another molt at almost 3 inches. Possible but based on the abdomen your dicribing, it's not likely. Describe how she's been acting.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It was rehoused on the 1/8/07 and it has been webbing like it should be but it has been rather arboreal ever since it has been rehoused into a 2.5 gallon tank with peat moss. It has turned down crickets everytime I have offered. One time I put in a cricket and came back in a half hour later and the cricket was dead but the T was on the other side of the enclosure. But most of the time it just runs away from the crickets which made me think premolt but Im not sure now since it hasnt been long since its last molt. I have been keeping it dry likes its suppose to be.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Hopefully really really dry, that's the only thing I can think of, the substrate doesn't look all that dry, but it could just be a wrong impression.

Yeah it's odd for a GBB to not eat now after that moult but unless it's not doing anything else strange I'd just say wait for another 2-3 weeks and see what happens. It could just be a temporary lack of appetite. Who knows though, stranger things have happened and maybe it's in pre-moult again. Only time will tell.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
its abdomen looks fine to me. slings don't need to be obese to molt fine ;).

if it's a male it could be molting that quickly again, i've heard of gbb males maturing within little more than a year.

on the other hand, maybe it's just not hungy. so i would wait for another week and try feeding it again if it doesn't go and molt.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i see you are in TN, did you get it from the Aquatic Critter? if so...i have a few GBB's from the same eggsac that you do. the 3 i got from that sac are in premolt right now too and havent eaten in about a week or 2. the abdomen looks fine to me. drip some water down the side of the enclosure to see if it needs hydration and then just leave it be. it will molt soon. :D

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would make sure it has a full water dish/lid. They can go without food for a really long time. It's abdomen looks okay right now.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i see you are in TN, did you get it from the Aquatic Critter? if so...i have a few GBB's from the same eggsac that you do. the 3 i got from that sac are in premolt right now too and havent eaten in about a week or 2. the abdomen looks fine to me. drip some water down the side of the enclosure to see if it needs hydration and then just leave it be. it will molt soon. :D

Yeah it came from the aquatic critter. I got it around Christmas time. I bought it and a B.smithi with it. Yours growing fast?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah it came from the aquatic critter. I got it around Christmas time. I bought it and a B.smithi with it. Yours growing fast?
oh yeah! all 3 of them are grwoing like crazy and they usually all molt with a few days of each other. was the Bm Smithi you got a sling or adult?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would make sure it has a full water dish/lid. They can go without food for a really long time. It's abdomen looks okay right now.
i would NOT make sure it has a full water dish/lid. as these spiders are from VERY dry and arid climates. too much moisture/humidity can cause bad results i.e. DEATH!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, they grow very fast!!! Mine went from a 3 inch juvie to a mature adult in 9 months.
Your sling looks fine, the abdomen does not look to small. I agree with everyone else, put a few drops of water down the side of its house, and keep offering crix once a week. It probably won't eat until it gets settled in its new house, that could take another week or so, GBB can be nervy.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
that's a nice spider... what does GBB stand for???

thanks! :D
- munis

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
was the Bm Smithi you got a sling or adult?
My B. smithi was about the same size as my GBB when I bought it. And now my B. smithi is alittle smaller than the GBB. So should I just take the bottle cap that have in there for a water dish out and mist?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. smithi was about the same size as my GBB when I bought it. And now my B. smithi is alittle smaller than the GBB. So should I just take the bottle cap that have in there for a water dish out and mist?
yes...but dont mist!! just let a few drops run down one area of the enclosure. if its thirst it will drink. they cant handle misting. moist substrate is REALLY bad for these guys. i will usually find and area where they have webbed all the way against the side of the deli cup and let the water droplets run down the side and catch in the web. :D

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can't tell from the photo if there is a shadow on the abdomen or not, but it does look dark..... mine is also 2.75" but its abdomen is lighter than that. And she last molted in late December. and is still eating as of yesterday..

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that picture was taken about a week ago. Its abdomen is about that same color but alittle smaller.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i would NOT make sure it has a full water dish/lid. as these spiders are from VERY dry and arid climates. too much moisture/humidity can cause bad results i.e. DEATH!
They are from very dry, arid climates, but they still require a water dish. They cannot, however, stand moist substrate or RH. I have raised SEVERAL GBB's and have done extensive research on the species. Believe me, dropping water down the side onto the substrate would be way worse than having a water dish. A water dish will keep water away from the substrate.

Read this article. It is very well written and also suggests a water dish.
GBB article

Last edited: