GBB Sling Help

MrTeacher

Arachnopeon
Hey arachnoboards!

It's that first time tarantula owning teacher again. Kind of an update on my class and our T. We have been learning a lot about spiders over the past two weeks (anatomy, why they aren't insects, debunking myths, how to care for one) and my kids voted for and supported with evidence which tarantula out of 4 they wanted for our class.

We got our GBB (unanimous vote) sling in the mail yesterday. I'm having it in my house until it gets used to its enclosure, heated pretty well too! Now I have done my research but being a teacher and first time T owner I have to ask. When should I worry about it not moving? It's been in this position since I put it in its enclosure. And I don't really want to bother it, as I know it needs time to adjust but won't it need to move around for at least water? Not feeding it until probably Sunday. I know it's not in a death curl and I guess it may be in premolt or something, but that's something I would have to ask the seller I got it from if they have the info.

I'm just seeing if leaving it alone is correct, although I know it usually is. But not moving for 24 hours worries me of course. When should I worry? Haha thanks for any help :)

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Looks fine to me. Leave it for 24 hrs then toss some grub infront of it. If its a living GBB the grub will be gone in an instant heheh

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Looks fine to me. Leave it for 24 hrs then toss some grub infront of it. If its a living GBB the grub will be gone in an instant heheh
looks very freshly molted to me..
was there a molt in the vial it came with? dont worry regardless, tarantulas just dont move much.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
The only time you really need to worry about it not moving is when its death curling. This like guy or gal looks plenty healthy. Give it some time to settle im and it will start webbing the place up soon enough.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
looks very freshly molted to me..
was there a molt in the vial it came with?
Can you see its fangs? If they are a ruddy brown color, it molted recently and should not be fed until they are black. Otherwise, it's safe to feed 1-2 times per week.

Don't worry if it doesn't move much. My GBB sling sits in the same position at the edge of its web for hours, waiting to ambush prey.

If it's thirsty, it will find the water dish.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
A lot of the time my GBB will be in the same spot from the time I go to work until about dinner time. They are nocturnal so you could check on it at night to see if it is moving. Mine is very active at night usually webbing more of its enclosure

Sana

Arachnoprince
Looks good to me. Mine wasn't super active at that size especially not within 24 hours of being rehoused.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The sub looks too moist... Are you keeping it moist? Needs to be pretty much bone dry with perhaps a tiny bit of moisture.

MrTeacher

Arachnopeon
The sub was kind of moist when I got it (waiting for it to dry out), but I just put a water dish for the main water since I read GBB like it dry for the most part. Although I did put droplets of water on the side of the enclosure where it was sitting like a rock. Luckily it started moving after that so I'm not as worried anymore! Thanks everyone! I'll keep ya posted! :)

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The sub looks too moist... Are you keeping it moist? Needs to be pretty much bone dry with perhaps a tiny bit of moisture.
I read GBB like it dry for the most part.
They do when they are out of the sling stage. I keep the substrate moist for all my slings including the GBB slings. Just don't add too much moisture to it.

keeper1

Arachnopeon
lol I remember just two months ago getting my first T and getting worried about it not moving for hours... Its kinda boring keeping T's but in a good way, feeding my T is the only fun I have.... I still love keeping them...