GBB Sling Behavior and Rehousing Questions

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
So I just rehoused my GBB last night, and tonight about 24 hours later this is what they have done with the new spot. I haven't seen them crawling too much on the substrate... And I wasn't expecting them to build or be up so high/close to the lid! Is this all normal? Are they happy? Or are they building up high because they don't like the substrate? Just wanna make sure everything is going right with this rehouse!

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That's absolutely what you'd expect from a GBB after a day. Again, keep calm, leave it be and watch the show! :D

And please, don't open a new thread every time you want to update us or have more question about the same situation/tarantula. It's way easier for people to follow what's going on when everything is in one single thread. :) Maybe a mod could fuse your threads... @Ungoliant? @cold blood?

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/c-cyaneopubescens-sling-crawling-to-the-top-of-container.324463/
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/c-cyaneopubescens-re-house-advice.324464/

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
That's absolutely what you'd expect from a GBB after a day. Again, keep calm, leave it be and watch the show! :D

And please, don't open a new thread every time you want to update us or have more question about the same situation/tarantula. It's way easier for people to follow what's going on when everything is in one single thread. :) Maybe a mod could fuse your threads... @Ungoliant? @cold blood?

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/c-cyaneopubescens-sling-crawling-to-the-top-of-container.324463/
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/c-cyaneopubescens-re-house-advice.324464/
Sorry ^^;; This site is a bit new/unclear to me. If that is possible that would be better yeah. I'm just semi unsure how to use the site proper. I'll try to just keep to one thread.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
So I just rehoused my GBB last night, and tonight about 24 hours later this is what they have done with the new spot. I haven't seen them crawling too much on the substrate... And I wasn't expecting them to build or be up so high/close to the lid! Is this all normal? Are they happy? Or are they building up high because they don't like the substrate? Just wanna make sure everything is going right with this rehouse!
Perfectly normal, mine spent very little time on the substrate even as a sling except for the first day I had it. The next morning it started webbing and has pretty much stayed on it close to the top ever since.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Perfectly normal, mine spent very little time on the substrate even as a sling except for the first day I had it. The next morning it started webbing and has pretty much stayed on it close to the top ever since.
Same. Mine doesn't know what substrate feels like. It's never touched it lol.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
Okay good to know it’ll be up high then! What is the best way to feed it while it’s up there? I kept trying to drop a cricket in and it kept falling to the bottom. I didn’t wanna leave it in there in case it began to molt so I ended up messing up some of the webbing getting it. I also ended up killing the cricket on accident, but I managed to drop it in front of the spider and it took the dead cricket. Should you just hold the cricket in front of the spider in the tongs?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Okay good to know it’ll be up high then! What is the best way to feed it while it’s up there? I kept trying to drop a cricket in and it kept falling to the bottom. I didn’t wanna leave it in there in case it began to molt so I ended up messing up some of the webbing getting it. I also ended up killing the cricket on accident, but I managed to drop it in front of the spider and it took the dead cricket. Should you just hold the cricket in front of the spider in the tongs?
I don't tong feed because of the danger of the spider striking the tongs and breaking it's fangs. When my GBB was a sling sometimes I just mangled the prey enough so it wasn't so lively and wedged it in the webbing. Most of the time though I dropped it directly in front of her and she grabbed right away.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Don't worry so much. ;) Just throw the cricket in (assuming it's an appropriate size) and let your little one hunt for itself. If the cricket has not been eaten the next day, get it out and try again a week later.

Of course, you could always prekill the feeder, but IME it's not necessary with a GBB. Even as slings they're pretty good hunters, they actually pursue their prey rather than waiting for it to come along. ;)

Edit: And I agree with @draconisj4, don't tong feed, it's not worth the risk.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
Okay! I’ll try dropping the cricket in and letting it hunt. I’ve been feeding it baby crickets that are the appropriate size for it. It just found the crickets really quickly in its last enclosure because it was so small. I’ll try just dropping crickets in and leaving them there for a day. See if I can watch them hunt for a bit. It’s abdomen is just looking a bit shiny like someone previously stated so I was worried it wasn’t going after the cricket cuz it might be in pre-molt.

Will it find the cricket even on the ground? The GBB doesn’t go down on the substrate a lot from what I’ve seen.

cold blood

Staff member
It’s abdomen is just looking a bit shiny
Then don't feed...just wait, it should be molting soon. That shininess is the new exo forming beneath.

Will it find the cricket even on the ground
Yes. It will find the cricket ANYWHERE.

Its a GBB...if its hungry, you couldn't hide a cricket good enough to save it.....it wont have any issues hunting when its ready.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
Then don't feed...just wait, it should be molting soon. That shininess is the new exo forming beneath.
I am super new to it so it’s somewhat hard for me to tell. But I do hope that it is just in pre-molt! It didn’t finish the cricket I gave it today. It ate about half of it and the other half dropped to the bottom of the enclosure. I’m gonna leave it in there a day to see if it finishes it then take it out.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Bonus? Or did you mean bolus? ;)

I'd still get a piece of cork bark and lean it to the side of the enclosure, so it has some sort of hide.

Also, those spikes on the lid look kinda pointy/sharp. If they are, I'd try to smoothen them out a bit. Especially when in premoult, any sharp objects could pose a risk of rupturing its abdomen.
I always poke holes from the inside, so any pointy parts will be on the outside and away from my slings. :)

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
I definitely meant bolus xD autocorrect decided that was not the word I was gonna have there. I’ll see bout getting cork bark next time I go to the pet store to get crickets! Though it has seemed to be pretty okay so far with the current set up. Though I don’t know as much having just started with this sling xD

I’ll try to smoothen the lid inside a bit. So far it hasn’t seemed to be much of an issue. This morning I saw them attaching webbing to some of the points though so probably is a good idea to smooth them out. They’ve been really taking off with the webbing!

How often should you take out the water dish, dump out the water, and put fresh water in? Or is that something you even need to do on a regular basis?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How often should you take out the water dish, dump out the water, and put fresh water in? Or is that something you even need to do on a regular basis?
I clean the dish immediately whenever it's soiled or completely full of substrate or every week or two otherwise.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I dump out, wash and refill the dishes every week when I feed unless they are dirty then I clean immediately. I do check them every couple of days though to see if they need topped off or cleaned.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
About how long does it take for a GBB to go after a cricket in its enclosure? I just want to ask because A: I’d like to see the take down and B: I want to see if it’s in pre-molt or if it just doesn’t know the cricket is in there yet. I’m sorry if I get annoying with all the questions too xD I get overly nervous.

Attachments