GBB Runt?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Hi friends. So 2 months ago I got a 3.5" GBB female and she was way smaller than I was expecting. I have a 3" A. chalcodes and a 3-3.5" B. hamorii so I assumed she would be around their size but oh man is she not. After getting over the shock of how little she is I assumed GBBs must be smaller as juvies than other NW terrestrials but I've seen photos of other people's specimens around her DLS and their bodies seem far larger. Her body is maybe 1.5" but I haven't measured it that accurately. Her carapace is about the size of my thumbnail. Did I get a runt or are all GBB juvies this teeny tiny? I don't really mind much cos she's pretty cute but it's just gotten me curious about their overall size.

I'll post a pic of her later today.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Hi friends. So 2 months ago I got a 3.5" GBB female and she was way smaller than I was expecting. I have a 3" A. chalcodes and a 3-3.5" B. hamorii so I assumed she would be around their size but oh man is she not. After getting over the shock of how little she is I assumed GBBs must be smaller as juvies than other NW terrestrials but I've seen photos of other people's specimens around her DLS and their bodies seem far larger. Her body is maybe 1.5" but I haven't measured it that accurately. Her carapace is about the size of my thumbnail. Did I get a runt or are all GBB juvies this teeny tiny? I don't really mind much cos she's pretty cute but it's just gotten me curious about their overall size.

I will say that my GBB is spindley. Her abdomen and carapace seem smaller to me than my chunky monkey T. albo and her legs are skinny, but her legs are very long. She's over 3" DLS, but just looking at her I wouldn't guess it. Maybe that could be the case.

Also, it's hard to tell by your descriptions what you're actually measuring. T's are sold DLS so it's measured like this picture. This is mine, but she's kinda scrunched up right now and, of course, she's on the wall 90% of the time until she senses me come by with the camera and then runs into her little web hide.
20200104_103047.jpg

When you say "her body is maybe 1.5in," it leads me to believe possibly you're not measuring correctly against the 3" A. chalcodes?

Last edited:

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is pretty slim and leggy, compared to most other terrestrials. To me, that is a "feature" just as attractive as their colours. They look... elegant. Totally makes sense to me that they are pretty good climbers and use all three dimensions of their enclosures when given enough opportunities.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
To me, that is a "feature" just as attractive as their colours. They look... elegant.
And mine looks crazy creepy when she's hunting prey. She moves in this very slow, deliberate way that is so awesome and terrifying at the same time. She gives me jump scares so much because I get so entranced in her slow, delicate movements that when she pounces I jump. I love her!

cold blood

Staff member

A runt would assume its full grown, which its clearly not if female....at that size its still a juvie with a lot of growth ahead of it.

A small abdomen could simply mean freshly molted, which would be exactly when a seller would be able to confirm sex.....or it could be a MM...post pics.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Here's a better picture for you to compare to yours. She is a little over 3".
20200104_123653.jpg

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
When you say "her body is maybe 1.5in," it leads me to believe possibly you're not measuring correctly against the 3" A. chalcodes?
Absolutely possible. I've only ever measured the DLS of the GBB, not her body length and I've never been able to properly measure the chalcodes. Yours looks a bit bigger than mine in body but I'll definitely get pics up later. Thank you!

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is pretty slim and leggy, compared to most other terrestrials. To me, that is a "feature" just as attractive as their colours. They look... elegant. Totally makes sense to me that they are pretty good climbers and use all three dimensions of their enclosures when given enough opportunities.
Yeah mine is insanely leggy and spindly. I was thinking it was just an attribute of the species but I wanted to be sure.

A small abdomen could simply mean freshly molted, which would be exactly when a seller would be able to confirm sex.....or it could be a MM...post pics.
She looks pretty rough to be freshly moulted unfortunately. But yeah I'll be posting pics when I get home from work in a few hours. :)

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
OK here she is. It's so difficult to get decent photos of her, she's either on the walls or in her web tunnel.
bitsa.png bitsaa.png bitsaaa.png

Kitara

Arachnodemon
On the walls, she actually looks bigger than mine. I'll have to find a paperclip and compare.

Oh I just saw the ruler. Yeah she is bigger. Not by much.

cold blood

Staff member
Awww, shes just a wee one....her abdomen looks plenty plump, nothing worrisome.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don’t understand why other species are involved in your question?

I’ve owned a lot of these, both genders, I don’t consider them to be small at any age.

Yours looks fine.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I don’t understand why other species are involved in your question?

I’ve owned a lot of these, both genders, I don’t consider them to be small at any age.

Yours looks fine.
Well I was pretty unfamiliar with the slim nature of this species, I just assumed she would be the same size as my other NWs with the same legspan. It really has nothing to do with them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I was pretty unfamiliar with the slim nature of this species, I just assumed she would be the same size as my other NWs with the same legspan. It really has nothing to do with them.
Correct they have nothing to do w/another. They are all different species, so comparing them in certain ways is useless. Good critical thinking.