GBB rehabilitation

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OK most of you saw this thread:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=112958&highlight=free+gbb
I got this T and pics follow. First day her checilera looked to be not moving. She appears to have about 1.25 fangs and her leg L4 is really badly twisted. Some other legs are bowed but not so bad. Her abdomen wasnt too thin but not really lump either.
So heres what i did. I brought her home and set her up a KK. Dry peat and a shallow water dish(bottle cap). Got a cricket and mashed the pulp out of it literally and removed any hard bits. Added some water to make a cricket gut soup. USed a syringe to feed this delicacy to her. She ate a couple drops of it and stopped. I am sure she was stressed to high heaven. After the couple drops she started kicking around so i placed her face down in the water dish( abdomen not in it) she appeared to drink most of it and crawled out.
Today i was looking at her and her legs are still mangled of course but she was moving more than she had. So i got a small cricket about 2/3 grown and dumped in front of her. The cricket hauled butt across the tank so i prodded it back to her front end and she grabbed it!!!!!!!! She caught the cricket and is proceeding to eat it on her own!!! Looks like she wants to live so things are brightening up here for her. I mean she couldn't chase one down but just grabbing it up when its in front of her like that is certainly a great sign.
Makes it all worth it!!!!!!!
PIX

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lucky:worship: well guess someone had to get glad it was someone really trying to do what is best for the T. Good luck getting her back to full health

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good news
just what little love and care can do
makes u wonder maybe sum peeps shouldnt ....
I better dont go there
Good luck to you, Sir

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah she should turn out to be a really nice GBB if she does well on her next molt. I have to watch her waist line tho. With the mangled legs she cant seem to raise up much and i dont want her to rub a sore on her abdomen to cause probs in a molt.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Having never dealt with a t in this condition, I'm wondering if it would be better off in a hospital tank setting on paper towels?

I'd worry about her abdomen, book lungs and mouthparts being dragged through and in contact with all of the particulate matter in that substrate for an extended period.

Just throwing out some ideas in order to possibly help. Good luck with her. It sounds like you're off to a good start...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Having never dealt with a t in this condition, I'm wondering if it would be better off in a hospital tank setting on paper towels?

I'd worry about her abdomen, book lungs and mouthparts being dragged through and in contact with all of the particulate matter in that substrate for an extended period.

Just throwing out some ideas in order to possibly help. Good luck with her. It sounds like you're off to a good start...
problem is GBBs tend to die in high humidity. she lifts herself up just eha back of her abdomen cant get up all the way.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL- I know GBB's like it dry. That's why I didn't say "damp" paper towels :D

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow, just goes to show what a little TLC can do.
She's going to be fine T in a molt or two

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Awesome news. Have you decided whether or not to take off the damaged legs? What are the chances of them causing a problem when she next molts? Either way good luck and I hope she carries on improving, GBBs are awesome :D

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome news. Have you decided whether or not to take off the damaged legs? What are the chances of them causing a problem when she next molts? Either way good luck and I hope she carries on improving, GBBs are awesome :D
I will give her time to gain more moisture and see how she does. One leg looks like it will need to be removed for sure. there are some others that are bowed but not mangled like that one that should be fine.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I figured you just read the post too quickly. Keep us posted and keep up the good work with her!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, she ate another small cricket this morning, and haired me lol
This evening i gave her another one and she is eating it too.
I am feeding her only small crix since she is in so bad of shape. I will be watching closely to be sure not to get her too fat too seeing as she can not lift her abdomen very much.
But she is looking good so far.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm wishing you a lot of luck! She's been through hell! At least she has enough spunk left to eat and flick. :)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you'd prefer I start another thread, I will, and please accept my apologies for using this one.

You mentioned removing her mangled leg. What method do you use for this? I've never had to forceably remove a leg, so I was curious what the best, cleanest way is to do this?

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
awesome

That is awesome! I mean your care and the fact that she at the cricket. I have had a tarantula with a bad shed look like that but it eventully made it and shed again into a healthy looking one so keep it up!

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So this is the result of a bad molt? I didn't notice a cause in your posts. She looks really ruff but hopefully with the care your giving she will be able to recover over time. Keep us posted.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you'd prefer I start another thread, I will, and please accept my apologies for using this one.

You mentioned removing her mangled leg. What method do you use for this? I've never had to forceably remove a leg, so I was curious what the best, cleanest way is to do this?
Ok, I'll start a new thread then since this post was ignored...