GBB Refusing Food and Abdominal Shrinkage

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My ~9 year old female Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens has been refusing food for several months. Normally, that wouldn't worry me too much, but her abdomen has shrunken considerably and she has become less active. It has been 790 days since her last molt but does not seem to be pre-molt. Does anyone have any ideas about the problem or possible solutions?

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Wouldn't 9 years be impossibly ancient for a C. cyaneopubescens male?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I know they can live longer than that but GBB are fast growing species and don’t have the huge lifespans of slower ones, so it could just be old age. It’s stating the obvious but if they average 10-12 years that means plenty dont make it that far.
I hope it’s just fasting. You’ve been keeping them for a long time so I’d give the benefit of doubt you know what you’re doing.
it would be good to get a shot of her booty to see how shriveled it is

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, she's definitely not a mature male. I've gotten a couple wrong from molt sexing young tarantulas over the years, but I think I'd have spotted hooks and emboli by now! I've considered old age, but everywhere I look I get different lifespan estimates: 10-12 years, 12-14 years, 14-17.

I've had spiders fast for long periods. My first rosehair went two years without eating, but in those cases there was never a significant change in abdomen size.
20200708_073712.jpg

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Have you tried different food items? Mine went after huge adult locusts like there's no tomorrow. Then,a couple of months after her molt, she suddenly refused them. Gave her a small cricket just for testing, and she went after it at once. Since then, it's small prey for her.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you tried different food items? Mine went after huge adult locusts like there's no tomorrow. Then,a couple of months after her molt, she suddenly refused them. Gave her a small cricket just for testing, and she went after it at once. Since then, it's small prey for her.
I haven't. I guess I could try a Turkestan cockroach.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, she's definitely not a mature male. I've gotten a couple wrong from molt sexing young tarantulas over the years, but I think I'd have spotted hooks and emboli by now! I've considered old age, but everywhere I look I get different lifespan estimates: 10-12 years, 12-14 years, 14-17.

I've had spiders fast for long periods. My first rosehair went two years without eating, but in those cases there was never a significant change in abdomen size.
View attachment 351918
Id be concerned w/a female w/an Ab that size too. Try different feeders? Make sure as best as one can that she's hydrated. Ts that are fairly dehydrated typically don't eat until they drink. Not surprising giving how they eat. Life- I've heard generally 8-10 for AFs. My AF is about 8. She has definitely slowed down in eating. She used to eat 3-5 crickets when she was younger, now she's interested in only 1-3.