GBB random hair flicking observation

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
hello everyone, how are your T's doin'? I just wanna share my observation with my 2" GBB, and with your help, prove that it really does this actions naturally or it was just a random thing my pet did.

You see,I fed her about 8hrs ago with lateralis a size closer to her own(its a big meal,i know) and about an hour ago, I moved her cage so i can get the bolus for sanitary reasons and i noticed that she was still eating and was flicking hairs randomly and vigorously,even though i do this routine everytime i feed her and my other Ts,this wasthe first time ive seen her flick hairs ever since i bought her when she was still 2cm.

Now, given that they are sensitive to movement(which might cause stress that leads to hair flicking),i double checked and there was no movement/vibration nearby,i was also using a mask to protect myself(everytime i attempt to open the cage,for my health ofcourse) and make sure that my breath doesnt make any sudden air movement, given how close my face is to observe such a little thing. There were also no mites or ants in the cage that might cause stress and yet she still did this random action for about 30secs to a full minute.

Other posts says that besides stress, they also flick hairs when an imminent molt is coming, but i dont think that is the case since she just molted 2 weeks ago.

This is the first time i've seen such behavior where the T just randomly flicks hair, all of my Ts dont really flick hair that much and when they do,I usually know the reason why.

Have you guys encountered(or even heard) such behaviour where the T just flicks hair randomly?If so,can you please give me ur observations so i can check if it is really random or there are patterns that leads to such behaviour, it might be helpful so that I can avoid such behaviours on my other Ts. Now the eye-catching gold spot in her abdomen is gone :(

Could the fact that she was still eating when i observed her have something to do with it?but there are no threats while she eats,so why flick hairs.i didnt even get to open the lid since there was no reason for me to because there were still no bolus.

P.S. Sorry for the very long post,this is actually my first one since most of the time,I dont have to bother since google/previous posts have the answer to my questions and im also trying to be as detailed as possible so that you guys can get what i am trying to say.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
im pretty sure alot of tarantulas, Theraphosa most notably, line the entrances to their burrows with urticating hairs to dissuade predators. not 100% on that.. nothing you can really do there. besides not poking at it or anything silly like that.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
She doesnt have a burrow, so there was really no entrance. She just have her webbing and sits on it the whole day. Im pretty sure they have their reasons why they do such actions. after all,if a T doesnt need to spend energy, it wont. And besides,She did such action to the point where the gold spot disappeared.thats a lot of flicking. I just wanna pinpoint what is the reason. Everything is the same all this time, And it looks the same, so i dont really know why she does this.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It could mean she is getting close to a molt. Mine are more flicky when molt is coming, flicking hairs to line the webbing with, and at every slight disturbance. That could also explain the gold patch (mirror patch) disappearing. Colours are more dull and darker when close to molting.
Funny username by the way :D

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My GBB kicks for seemingly no reason as well. After each molt, once he's done stretching and he's hardened up a bit, he kicks furiously, with no disturbance from anything.
He does also intentionally line his webbing with hairs, but this is deliberate and I can see when he's doing it.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all your responses guys, im less worried by it now since she already stopped doing it,i was just concerned at first bc i thought she was stressed,and the fact that i dont know why is what worried me.

it seemed that she only flicked hairs that is on the gold spot.since that is the only spot that is bald now.i find it weird that she accurately aimed for the gold spot only.it might be bc she wants me to stop looking at it.:p.little does she know that i do it because i cannot lie and i like big butts.:D.haha

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for all your responses guys, im less worried by it now since she already stopped doing it,i was just concerned at first bc i thought she was stressed,and the fact that i dont know why is what worried me.

it seemed that she only flicked hairs that is on the gold spot.since that is the only spot that is bald now.i find it weird that she accurately aimed for the gold spot only.it might be bc she wants me to stop looking at it.:p.little does she know that i do it because i cannot lie and i like big butts.:D.haha
That is not strange at all. What you call the gold spot is actually her mirror patch, the only are where the urticating hairs are positioned. The hairs she can kick are only in that spot.
Maybe a good incentive to start reading up a bit on basic tarantula anatomy...there is a great link in the stickies of this forum ;)

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Since my gbb molted it kicks hairs just because I look in its general direction. It's just being a T