GBB post molt curl ...

CarrotsBiteBack

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I'm a total noob when it comes to molting T's and I very much fall into the "holy sh!t what's happening to my T?!" bracket - sorry in advance but would rather be honest and upfront.

S/he has molted this morning and is not looking so good ... they molted stupidly quickly - within half an hour maximum. However, for the last hour and a half they have remained like this. The first photo was half an hour after molt and the second one - just a moment ago. S/he has obviously moved, albeit a tiny amount. Am I doing the traditional quote from above and over panicking or is it normal for a T to curl back on themselves like this? I have not touched moved or done anything to them, I am simply leaving them be. However, my child did bring the encloser downstairs thinking that s/he had died as they had their legs out more straight but still slightly curled. Again they weren't touched but I advised to leave in the usual area which is theirs. No one has touched the T or done anything to it other than that. The molt looks good and appears to be a clean molt. We've had a molt from them before (done in 15 minutes) and they were up in their usual position so this is new thing for us.
They haven't eaten in just under two months but the webbing has been sprayed once a week for molt preparation- my understanding is that's the right thing to do. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you so much in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Welcome. Looks normal. It will wiggle and legs will curl and expand and eventually right side itself soon. It looks small so the new exo skeleton may be hardened in a week. Keep a water dish full and don’t feed until the fangs are jet black. They will do weird ‘yoga-like’ stretching as they harden, looks weird but normal. It’s important they are not disturbed during the recovery.

I’m sure @KaroKoenig can explain it way better. 🙂

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
Looks normal to me :). They usually stretch in weird positions after molting, it may stay like that for a little while before flipping back onto it's belly. Try your best not to disturb it -- molting is a very taxing process for them.

Best wishes

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s looks normal they will stretch and compress and expand during the immediate post molt period.

CarrotsBiteBack

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone I know I fell into noob level stuff with worry but it's the first time I've seen (potentially) her be like this. They are all fine now doing normal spood behaviour. Looking thin as expected, just going to wait for their fangs to harden up. Again thank you all so much for your support!

I’ve never done this for my GBBs or any other T.
Snakes - Yes
Ts- No

I’d like to read about this.
I can't remember where I saw it now as it was a while ago. Apparently it makes the enclosure slightly more humid which softens the exoskeleton for the T's. I'll have to find it again and send it to you if I find it.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks everyone I know I fell into noob level stuff with worry but it's the first time I've seen (potentially) her be like this. They are all fine now doing normal spood behaviour. Looking thin as expected, just going to wait for their fangs to harden up. Again thank you all so much for your support!

I can't remember where I saw it now as it was a while ago. Apparently it makes the enclosure slightly more humid which softens the exoskeleton for the T's. I'll have to find it again and send it to you if I find it.
If you find it let me know please!