GBB, not webbing, super shy

Serendipity

Arachnosquire
So I've gotten this mature female gbb for about 6 months now and it's not really webbed up much. In fact, it's super shy and spends most of its days(and nights) hiding in a "hide" of webbing it made the corner of the enclosure behind the plastic plant. I know GBBs can be skittish but mine is even scared of its food(dubias)! In fact, i see my juvi O. Violaceopes more than it!
It just moulted a month ago and had eaten only once since. But since then it's been hiding and super scared even when i place a dying roach the start of its hide. I know spiders often fast but aren't gbbs known for their huge appetites? 20200215_022908.jpg 20200215_022805.jpg Is there anything wrong with my setup?

PS: I use a coco fibre and sand mix with some moss thrown in. I keep the substrate bone dry and only overflow the water dish once or a week or less.
Also, this pic is the first time in a month since ive seen it out, dropped a roach and it bolted to the top of the enclousure.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t know why yours is skittish when it comes to feeders, mine is a vicious eater!
my sling just started webbing after a couple weeks of owning it, I’ve been gone a week or so, I’m looking forward to seeing if it webbed anymore

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Setup seems overall fine. Just change that wire mesh on top for something (for example acrylic) with holes drilled into it.
Have you considered other things outside of her enclosure? Maybe she's close to radiator or some electronic devices that have some vibrating, moving elements that actually end up disturbing her?

Ents189

Arachnopeon
I agree, her enclosure looks fine, and shes actually done a good bit of webbing. I don't know how long you've had her in that enclosure, but it took mine a good year to have a full "web blanket" across the floor.

As for feeding, every individual is different and yours may just be extremely skittish. Mine seems to be pretty confident just standing in the open in the middle of her enclosure all day, but when she was smaller she would bolt as soon as i started removing the lid. I second @Hoxter, make sure there is nothing vibrating or creating disturbances on the same surface you have her enclosure, or on the shelf/rack. Is she in a room with a lot of foot traffic (living room)? If so I would try moving her to a quieter room that no one really uses during the day if possible. Ts are very sensitive to vibrations, so any loud bangs or heavy footsteps etc could be stressing her out. It may be worth checking if she is directly in the flow of an air vent as well. Good luck and i hope you figure it out!

Serendipity

Arachnosquire
Setup seems overall fine. Just change that wire mesh on top for something (for example acrylic) with holes drilled into it.
Have you considered other things outside of her enclosure? Maybe she's close to radiator or some electronic devices that have some vibrating, moving elements that actually end up disturbing her?
I agree, her enclosure looks fine, and shes actually done a good bit of webbing. I don't know how long you've had her in that enclosure, but it took mine a good year to have a full "web blanket" across the floor.

As for feeding, every individual is different and yours may just be extremely skittish. Mine seems to be pretty confident just standing in the open in the middle of her enclosure all day, but when she was smaller she would bolt as soon as i started removing the lid. I second @Hoxter, make sure there is nothing vibrating or creating disturbances on the same surface you have her enclosure, or on the shelf/rack. Is she in a room with a lot of foot traffic (living room)? If so I would try moving her to a quieter room that no one really uses during the day if possible. Ts are very sensitive to vibrations, so any loud bangs or heavy footsteps etc could be stressing her out. It may be worth checking if she is directly in the flow of an air vent as well. Good luck and i hope you figure it out!
The enclosure is on a counter beside my balcony window and a small tank beta fish tank sits between it and a window, theres nothing really there on the counter but the washing machine and the refrigerator are nearby i guess?(~2m away) so could that be it? Can they sense vibrations that far away?

Also, I've had it for around 6months. Thanks for sharing info on your webbing, guess mines still normal haha

Ents189

Arachnopeon
Does the window have a blind? Direct sunlight on a tank, even through a window can heat an enclosure. Your T could be getting pretty hot during the day. Does the beta tank have a pump or aerator? I know aerator in the small tank in my sons room vibrates quite a bit. Personally I would put her in the quietest, least used room/area you have and see if that helps.

At the end of the day you could just have a skittish GBB. Does she eventually eat or are you having to take the food back out every time?

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I don't think those things outside out 2m range should be a problem. You could try moving her enclosure somewhere else and see whether her behaviour changes because that might just be her personality being skittish. My juvie GBB isn't the most outgoing guy as well.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have seen a gbb that refuses dubias before. I would try feeding it something else just to check. I have some t's that have eating habits change after a molt.

Serendipity

Arachnosquire
Does the window have a blind? Direct sunlight on a tank, even through a window can heat an enclosure. Your T could be getting pretty hot during the day. Does the beta tank have a pump or aerator? I know aerator in the small tank in my sons room vibrates quite a bit. Personally I would put her in the quietest, least used room/area you have and see if that helps.

At the end of the day you could just have a skittish GBB. Does she eventually eat or are you having to take the food back out every time?
20200215_092322.jpg
It sorta looks like that, so no direct sunlight and no aerator.
I don't think those things outside out 2m range should be a problem. You could try moving her enclosure somewhere else and see whether her behaviour changes because that might just be her personality being skittish. My juvie GBB isn't the most outgoing guy as well.
Thanks for the advise. Anyways ill probably move it to my room and see how it does!thanks alot!

Serendipity

Arachnosquire
I have seen a gbb that refuses dubias before. I would try feeding it something else just to check. I have some t's that have eating habits change after a molt.
Ya i might get her some superworms to try soon. But she did eat an adult male dubia after her moult though...

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my experience, GBBs are great eaters when slings and juvies, but are very poor eaters as adults (more so than other adult Ts).

Tarantulas Golden

Arachnopeon
My guess is that she is light stressed or in premolt. just leave her alone and let her do what tarantulas sometimes do (nothing).

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I've gotten this mature female gbb for about 6 months now and it's not really webbed up much. In fact, it's super shy and spends most of its days(and nights) hiding in a "hide" of webbing it made the corner of the enclosure behind the plastic plant. I know GBBs can be skittish but mine is even scared of its food(dubias)! In fact, i see my juvi O. Violaceopes more than it!
It just moulted a month ago and had eaten only once since. But since then it's been hiding and super scared even when i place a dying roach the start of its hide. I know spiders often fast but aren't gbbs known for their huge appetites? View attachment 333945 View attachment 333946 Is there anything wrong with my setup?

PS: I use a coco fibre and sand mix with some moss thrown in. I keep the substrate bone dry and only overflow the water dish once or a week or less.
Also, this pic is the first time in a month since ive seen it out, dropped a roach and it bolted to the top of the enclousure.
Every tarantula is totally diffrent to another. Just because they are known to be heavy webbers, not everyone is. Besides, your seems to be webbing if i look at the picture. I am sure it is going to webb up the enclosure during the years to come. Sometimes they webb over time! I have had P murinus that dug a deep burrow with very little webbing and lived just fine (they are known to be heavy webbers too) If a tarantula have a really good hide, they may feel like they dont have to webb as much as if they have a hide thst are less good. So just because a speicies are known to be heavy webbers, not every individual is the same! So relax, your tarantula is fine!

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
She also looks plump enough for a Chromatopelma. Mine doesn't like roaches very much either. Crickets or locusts (if those are legal where you are) trigger a much more vehement response.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
So, my GBB doesn't follow the rules either. She runs from feeders (B. lateralis) as if she's terrified (she is FAST) and then she'll eat them later (sometimes). She's webbed more in the last couple weeks than she has in the entire time she's been in her enclosure. I've been feeding her prekilled mealworms the last couple of feedings because I have been lazy and not feeling like chasing the roach around when she decides she doesn't feel like eating it this week. That said, she's showing no signs of duress. So, they're all different and just because there's a generality of what they "should" be like, ignore that. Not every spider fits the mold.

This was her enclosure about a month ago... hardly any webbing.

20191212_195036.jpg

And I just took this just now.....

20200215_095958.jpg

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have 5 GBB slings. 4 of them are webbers, they web everything.

1 does not web very much at all. It’s kind of a finicky eater to boot...you might have its cousin.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
So, my GBB doesn't follow the rules either. She runs from feeders (B. lateralis) as if she's terrified (she is FAST) and then she'll eat them later (sometimes). She's webbed more in the last couple weeks than she has in the entire time she's been in her enclosure. I've been feeding her prekilled mealworms the last couple of feedings because I have been lazy and not feeling like chasing the roach around when she decides she doesn't feel like eating it this week. That said, she's showing no signs of duress. So, they're all different and just because there's a generality of what they "should" be like, ignore that. Not every spider fits the mold.

This was her enclosure about a month ago... hardly any webbing.

View attachment 334037

And I just took this just now.....

View attachment 334038
Sort of off topic, but I love these enclosures.

My GBB slings web a lot faster than my juvenile GBB, but I think my juvie is taking the slow and steady route, as every few weeks I'm surprised at another tunnel or covered bit of decoration.

cold blood

Staff member
Is there anything wrong with my setup?
yes, you have a terrestrial t in an arboreal enclosure. On top of that, you have all those thin sticks, which dont provide firm footing, making them a fall risk...and should it climb above them, those sticks would be a seriously bad thing to fall on.

i completely disagree with the others assessment of the enclosure.