1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

GBB not eating ever since its molting.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by JPG, Jan 15, 2020.

1. JPG

JPG Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I've been worried about one of my GBB not eating for 3 months since it has molted, it has been chasing and attacking preys but have not eaten it. I tried mealworm, cricket and roach and have not been successful yet. I tried to leave it for a month and feed but that did not work either. Its abdomen started to shrink ever since its molt, should i be worried at this point?

Attached Files:

2. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

That is definitely unusual. Does it actually kill the prey and then just leave it?

3. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

How big is your GBB?
    Does it have a water dish? Have you seen it drinking?
    Did you check the moult whether its sucking stomach moulted out right?
    Could it be a mature male?

Not eating after 3 months is definitely not normal and really worrisome.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Spaceman

Spaceman Arachnosquire Active Member

When my Honduran Curly Hair matured he didn’t eat for a month or 2.. do you know the gender

5. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

This is definitely not a mature male

6. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Mature males have no pattern on the abdomen, just orange.

Sex, not gender - a pet peeve of mine. Gender is a sociological construct and since spiders have no idea about sociology (or political correctness) and you can't ask them if the prefer dresses or pants it's irrelevant :penguin:. Sex is the biological thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. JPG

JPG Arachnosquire

It is unusual, fed a cricket and he seemed like taking a bite on it but it backed up right after and cricket stayed alive for days.
    Definately not a mature male as it is only 2.5 inch or so. I've seen him near water dish but haven't seen him drinking in person. I do change the water quite frequently for him.
    I did not notice much change in size after the molt, I've read an old thread where their GBB in a same situation and end up dying, that is why I'm worried :/

I've attached a picture taken with macro-lense, his fangs seemed to be okay to me. Any unusual sights?

Attached Files:

8. Swagg

Swagg Arachnosquire Active Member

Have you tried changing feeders? I’ve heard GBB can be picky. It is weird though.

9. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoking Old Timer

They are usally like garbage disposals, eating everything thrown at them. But as always some individuaks can be picky, but not the ones i have had, and i have had many

10. jezzy607

jezzy607 Arachnobaron Old Timer

I've had some do this before as well. Each time, I misted their entire web, saw them drink from the web, and after, they began to actually eat the prey they captured. It seemed as though the water dish wasn't good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoking Old Timer

Yes for juveniles i prefer to mist aswell. Many times i never saw them.drink from dish and wen misting the enclosure they emideatly drunk. I find misting very usrful esoecially with speicies that webb alot. And small waterdishes gets dry very fast. Skipping waterdish and mist 2-3 times a week i like better

• Like Like x 2
  12. Turtle

Turtle Arachnoknight

Is that a wound? Or are my eyes playing games on me...which happens more than I'd like to admit. opresponse.png

"Mature males have no pattern on the abdomen, just orange." @boina, I had not read that before. Thanks for that tid bit of info.

13. JPG

JPG Arachnosquire

I honestly thought that too but he never showed any symptoms of that, and if it was a wound i'm surprised how long he kept living without showing any signs. (no leg curls at all)
    Maybe him not eating is the symptom?

14. JPG

JPG Arachnosquire

I just spotted him hydrating so that's a good thing

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. boina

That water bowl is in a very awkward position for the spider. It should be more or less level with the substrate for easy access. A spider that can't drink also can't eat - they need a certain level of hydration to be able to eat and digest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. JPG

JPG Arachnosquire

Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to level it lower matching the ground level.

17. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnobaron Active Member

I have found this as well. Feeding and dealing with molts. When my E campestratus got parts of it's exoskeleton stuck it just sat there for an hour or so. I watered it a few times and then it promptly dealt with the exoskeleton problem.

Is it that dehydration just saps their energy? Or something more physiological at play here ( venom production etc)?

18. boina

I believe it's more physical: the digestive enzymes come in a solution and to make that solution fluids are needed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnobaron Active Member

Thanks for the info! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.