GBB next T research.

AshS

Arachnosquire
So after looking through @Trenor 's photo thread and seeing the pics of his GBB. And also some nagging to the wife about how I needed a 3rd T, I am now looking into getting a GBB. As I did with my Versicolor I would like to know any tips and experiences that you guys have had with this species. Also I am designing the enclosure so any inspiration from you guys would be great.

Thanks

Ash

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am now looking into getting a GBB. As I did with my Versicolor I would like to know any tips and experiences that you guys have had with this species. Also I am designing the enclosure so any inspiration from you guys would be great.
Every collection should have a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. GBBs build intricate webs, go through several attractive color phases, have a good feeding response, and grow relatively fast. Although they are webbers, they are out on display much of the time.

This species comes from an arid environment and is quite hardy, even as a sling. Starting at about 1", keep it on dry substrate with a water dish. (For smaller slings, you can slightly moisten a bit of the substrate, but don't overdo it.) Provide lots of anchor points for webbing, so your GBB can amaze you with its intricate tunnel complex.

GBBs are faster than the common starter terrestrials (Grammostola and Brachypelma), but once they start webbing, they tend to retreat into their webs when spooked. As with other tarantulas, you will want to do your cage maintenance with tongs to prevent bites and exposure to urticating hairs.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So after looking through @Trenor 's photo thread and seeing the pics of his GBB. And also some nagging to the wife about how I needed a 3rd T, I am now looking into getting a GBB. As I did with my Versicolor I would like to know any tips and experiences that you guys have had with this species. Also I am designing the enclosure so any inspiration from you guys would be great.

Thanks

Ash
Nice, I've really enjoyed the three I have owned so far. My MF and MM have been annoying my as of late trying to breed them. :shifty:

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Nice, I've really enjoyed the three I have owned so far. My MF and MM have been annoying my as of late trying to breed them. :shifty:
Still trying, eh? I was hoping you had paired them successfully by now! :eek:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Still trying, eh? I was hoping you had paired them successfully by now! :eek:
Well, honestly, I don't know. I was trying around 10 one night and got a call from work. I had to leave the room so I wouldn't be so loud. When I came back about 15 mins later, she was where he had been and he was up the side of the wall. So I'm not sure they didn't pair and I missed it.

I've tried sine then and they haven't bothered even approaching each other.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I love GBBS! Everyone says they're skittish but mine isn't at all, it's very active, webs a lot, eats tons, it's very adventurous, I've never actually seen it bolt. She's been super calm and I've only seen her kick hairs once and that was when I opened her enclosure for the first time. She doesn't seem to mind cage maintenance, I love my GBB! Also, very easy to take care of and the enclosure can be a lot of fun to set up because they'll use everything as web points.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Mine has completely covered all webbing anchor points in its enclosure. I have some broken up chopsticks and a racoon skull that it has made its home. They are really beautiful at all stages of life and like to be out in the open. I recommend getting one.

My pictures are of the same T in the same enclosure to show how much they will web

Attachments

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
No collection is complete without a GBB (may mine rest in peace), G. Pulchra (I still need to get one), B. Hamorii (don't have one yet, and I am sure I massacred the spelling), E. Sp. Red (many of my posts speak for themselves).

GBBs are great, they web quite a bit, eat very well, and when they molt, the colors will blow you away. I enjoyed raising mine to the monster she was. Even when in premolt, their colors are still spectacular. Ok, I'd better stop now.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Well, honestly, I don't know. I was trying around 10 one night and got a call from work. I had to leave the room so I wouldn't be so loud. When I came back about 15 mins later, she was where he had been and he was up the side of the wall. So I'm not sure they didn't pair and I missed it.

I've tried sine then and they haven't bothered even approaching each other.
Well here's hoping!

My wife and I both really want a GBB, hoping to find one at our expo when we go. Otherwise we'll have to get one from the boards. Their colors are amazing and I'd love to have a thick webber like that!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well here's hoping!

My wife and I both really want a GBB, hoping to find one at our expo when we go. Otherwise we'll have to get one from the boards. Their colors are amazing and I'd love to have a thick webber like that!
Thanks, I might try him one more time before shipping him off to be tried with another female.

If you're comfortable getting a small sling you'll get to enjoy several color changes as they grow. I've always like the mid color phase better than the final color (though I like the final colors too).

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Thanks, I might try him one more time before shipping him off to be tried with another female.

If you're comfortable getting a small sling you'll get to enjoy several color changes as they grow. I've always like the mid color phase better than the final color (though I like the final colors too).
Definitely! My fear of slings has been lessened since ours molted for the first time. It's interesting how Ts will be different colors as they grow in age

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This is a species where i actually like the sling colours as much as I do the adult ones.
@GreyPsyche how big is yours? Mine weren't as skittish as well up until they reached 10cm legspan. Luckily they retreat to their hides most of the time.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
This is a species where i actually like the sling colours as much as I do the adult ones.
@GreyPsyche how big is yours? Mine weren't as skittish as well up until they reached 10cm legspan. Luckily they retreat to their hides most of the time.
Mine at the moment is around an inch. Looking ready to molt though (for the first time in my care)!

Attachments

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My adult female is a complete sweetheart, she doesn't kick hairs, threat pose or even run when I enter her enclosure. I agree every hobbyist should own at least one in their lifetime such an easy species to keep. Here's my girl "Mango" bet you can't guess why I've named her that

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Awesome species, easy to keep, grow fast, eat like savages and web like crazy, I actually prefer the sling colouration to that of the juvies/adults but they still look great at all stages.

This is the current setup for my suspect female Mystique, this was taken just after I transferred her, she's webbed up the whole thing aside from the water dish now and is getting ready to change clothes again, had her since she was a tiny sling

View media item 38795

TheSmiths

Arachnopeon
Hi

Relatively new around here so

We got a GBB as our second T. Absolutely stunning to look at. Always out on display. The webs are AMAZING. He is my favourite. He's very active and eats so well. He's a real spectacle. We bought an adult and he is a great size as we wanted something big and beautiful to look at. We do not handle our T's at all but bringing him home when we bought him you could feel the weight of him. Hope you did get one and are enjoying yours as much as we enjoy ours.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Hi

Relatively new around here so

We got a GBB as our second T. Absolutely stunning to look at. Always out on display. The webs are AMAZING. He is my favourite. He's very active and eats so well. He's a real spectacle. We bought an adult and he is a great size as we wanted something big and beautiful to look at. We do not handle our T's at all but bringing him home when we bought him you could feel the weight of him. Hope you did get one and are enjoying yours as much as we enjoy ours.
I'm glad your enjoying your new T. GBBs are some of my favorites. Is you male mature? If so he just has a limited amount of time left because MM don't usually live but a year or so.

TheSmiths

Arachnopeon
I'm glad your enjoying your new T. GBBs are some of my favorites. Is you male mature? If so he just has a limited amount of time left because MM don't usually live but a year or so.

Hi

I have never given it any thought to sex him/her I refer to him as a boy as he's my favourite boy. As I've been reading stuff on here I'm realising that yeah if he is a he we might not have him for that long <sad face>