GBB molting, with some drama...

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, my wee GBB molted today, and when I was looking at her to see of she was finished I saw one of her legs hanging of her, and some bleeding.. So I pinched around the base of the leg, and let her walk it off, because she was dragging it around.. the leg was already half off, so there wasn't much else I could do for her.. I then stopped the bleeding with some cornstarch, and she skuttled over to her waterdish.. So she's probably gonna be OK, but this was my first "dramatic" molt, so I wanted some reassurance..

She was kept in a large enough enclosure, and as I do with all my T's, when I saw her molting, I dropped a couple drops of water onto her web(not where she was lying, but on the very edge of her web) because I've seen many of my babies running to get a drink from there after a molt. Anyways, I don't know what could have gone wrong, but as I said, I've never had anything but smooth molts before, so it was a new experience for me.

I'm a flustered mommy right now, but I really think she'll be allright. Will make sure to keep her waterdish full, and take it from there.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, my wee GBB molted today, and when I was looking at her to see of she was finished I saw one of her legs hanging of her, and some bleeding.. So I pinched around the base of the leg, and let her walk it off, because she was dragging it around.. the leg was already half off, so there wasn't much else I could do for her.. I then stopped the bleeding with some cornstarch, and she skuttled over to her waterdish.. So she's probably gonna be OK, but this was my first "dramatic" molt, so I wanted some reassurance..

She was kept in a large enough enclosure, and as I do with all my T's, when I saw her molting, I dropped a couple drops of water onto her web(not where she was lying, but on the very edge of her web) because I've seen many of my babies running to get a drink from there after a molt. Anyways, I don't know what could have gone wrong, but as I said, I've never had anything but smooth molts before, so it was a new experience for me.

I'm a flustered mommy right now, but I really think she'll be allright. Will make sure to keep her waterdish full, and take it from there.

Hey Abra, can you take a pic?
As long as shes not bleeding, im sure she will be fine , specially once the new exuvia dries off.

Im sorry about that, but she will be fine!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fam.. I agree with Fran.. If there is no bleed your wee GBB should be fine..

I have had to pinch several legs from slings that had a bad molt.. They are still alive and kicking.. :)

Congrats on the molt.. :) (Even though it was a little dramtic.. :eek:)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah , I managed to stop the bleeding, so I'm pretty sure she'll be fine.. Posted some pics on FB..

Thanks for the reassurance, guys! :D

dragonlover1981

Arachnopeon
sorry to hijack this thread but i checked my GBB sling this morning and she had moulted however it seems shes/it is not using her right rear leg any advice please.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would have left it alone, they will bite off damage limbs themselves.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They can get hurt when they are freshly molted and tryes to run away with their soft legs. In the wild they loose legs now and then so i dont think its a super big problem but i can understand that people get concerned when they get stuck.

Some (or one) Avicularia sp. can drop their leg just like a lizard drops their tail, dont remember the exact specie but i can alway look it up if some one is intrested.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, since this is up again, my girl is doing very well, she's back to her normal pissy self :D

possumburg

Arachnosquire
I had a P chordatus molt about a week ago that lost 3 legs and it is doing just fine. These things are amazingly resilient, glad yours is doing ok!