GBB Mating Size

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
From my reading it seems that the general rule is that a female is ready to mate at about 75% of her full size. Problem is I see many conflicting articles on full grown size. Some say 4-4.5" is full size while some on the forum claim to have 6" females. There is a drastic difference there, so what size do you think is proper for a gbb?

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
No one can tell me the size of their full grown female GBB (yes the chromatopelma cyanopubescens)?

If 4.5" is full grown my girl will be ready to go after the mext molt. If full grown is 6" it'll be a bit...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There are variations by individual - I'm sure there are 4" full grown females out there, but they'd be runts. This is why most of us suggest that you look at the spermatheca to determine sexual maturity. You really should wait for a molt anyway before attempting to breed - just check for sexual maturity then. You'll know that she's ready to go if her spermatheca is darkened.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the info. Like I said, there are tons of websites that say max is 4-4.5" but I know there is a ton of wrong information out there. Just trying to get it straight.

I've read as much as I can but hadn't seen any remarks on the spermatheca being darkened. I guess I should keep reading. :)

I will of course be waiting for molt confirmation as I'm not even totally sure she is a she yet.

I waited through premolt for weeks and she decided to pick Friday, the day I went out of town, to molt. The molt was of course destroyed before I could retrieve it. I'll post ventral shots when I can get it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've read as much as I can but hadn't seen any remarks on the spermatheca being darkened. I guess I should keep reading.
Look up spermatheca scleretization, that's what it's actually called.