GBB, kinda stuck molt?

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
I had posted here yesterday about my GBB sling molting. It looked really clean but he was still next to the molt. This afternoon I went to pull the molt and one toe was stuck. I didn't want to force it so I pulled the tongs away but it was sticking to the tongs too. after some gentle tugging the whole molt came with the tongs.

GBB didn't move during the interaction, but I was wondering if this is common or if maybe the hooks were just sticky. I'd like to prevent any molting issue in the future.

A side question: How long do you normally wait after molting is complete to feed? Today is normally feeding day for the terrestrials.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
A side question: How long do you normally wait after molting is complete to feed? Today is normally feeding day for the terrestrials.
You wait until the fangs are black. You can check them by using a paintbrush to touch your T so that it moves onto the side of the enclosure. This can take anywhere from a few days for a small sling to 3+ weeks for adults. Generally, it's better to err on the side of caution with it. You don't want a T to damage its fangs by trying to use them before they are fully hardened.

cold blood

Staff member
I had posted here yesterday about my GBB sling molting. It looked really clean but he was still next to the molt. This afternoon I went to pull the molt and one toe was stuck. I didn't want to force it so I pulled the tongs away but it was sticking to the tongs too. after some gentle tugging the whole molt came with the tongs.

GBB didn't move during the interaction, but I was wondering if this is common or if maybe the hooks were just sticky. I'd like to prevent any molting issue in the future.
Its something that happens...generally because of a lack of moisture, but not always...slings are especially susceptible. You did the right thing...and you can't worry about a single leg or even several...they re grow them.

Generally the faster you can get to help removal, the easier it will be...but its really not a huge deal, as the t would eventually likely self amputate prior to the next molt anyway....sticking molts to fangs or the body are much more worrisome.