GBB just gave me a scare

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
Took my 3.5 year old son in T room to check on our new additions and show him one of the first molts since they've been in our care (G pulchripes) . All was well and then I looked at the GBB who had flattened itself out on its web hammock. It just didn't seem right, I picked up his deli cup, opened the deli cup and no response. There's usually some reaction or skittishness. Mind you he's not in any kind of death curl or anything.

My son saw my apprehension and asked what is it daddy? I I said I don't know what up with him. My son says 'maybe he's dead'. The whole dead/kill concept we're just working toward so I just said uh No I don't think so.

Anyway after I sent him away I took a small paint brush to the GBBs limbs and he did move but very sluggish and slow. He didn't run away he just moved his limbs to avoid the brush. He basically remained in the same spot. It's like he didn't want to be moving. I'd been anticipating a molt so I'm assuming it has to do with that. Is it normal for them to be conserving energy just prior to a molt?

Any other thoughts?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Is the abdomen shriveled up?

If so, it might need water. If it's too weak to drink on its own, you may need to flip it over and put a drop or two in its mouth.

If not, might be in the hours right before a flip/molt and is separating its old exoskeleton from its new one, and just needs time alone.

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
Is the abdomen shriveled up? If so, it might need water. If it's too weak to drink on its own, you may need to flip it over and put a drop or two in its mouth.
No, he's nice and plump. He'd been eating steadily up until a few days ago. Largeish cricket every two days (relative to his size, he's just shy of 1")

Also, though I haven't seen him drink, his water dish has definitely been diminishing at a higher rate than can be attributed to evaporation.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
id get ready for a molt soon, they can get super sluggish close to molts.

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
WOW. He literally molted and is done in the time that I wrote the post and now. He appears to have fallen off the web hammock and is on his back on the substrate, but he appears fine. Moving and stretching his legs.

I must have checked in on him with my son the moment before he was about to molt

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Awesome! Slings can molt fast..... And not that it needs to be said, but don't touch. Also don't feed it until the fangs turn black. If you're not sure you can wait a week before giving it prey again.

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
IMG_20170405_215858.jpg Yes, of course. I have a fair bit of experience with molts, but I guess I've always discovered my T's on their back or having already completed the molt. This situation was new to me.

I suspected premolt and it stopped eating a week ago. I've just been waiting and checking, but was surprised at what I found.

I wish I had stuck around for a while longer I would have witnessed the whole event. Pesky bedtime routine! Lol

Attachments

Last edited:

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Took my 3.5 year old son in T room to check on our new additions and show him one of the first molts since they've been in our care (G pulchripes) . All was well and then I looked at the GBB who had flattened itself out on its web hammock. It just didn't seem right, I picked up his deli cup, opened the deli cup and no response. There's usually some reaction or skittishness. Mind you he's not in any kind of death curl or anything.

My son saw my apprehension and asked what is it daddy? I I said I don't know what up with him. My son says 'maybe he's dead'. The whole dead/kill concept we're just working toward so I just said uh No I don't think so.

Anyway after I sent him away I took a small paint brush to the GBBs limbs and he did move but very sluggish and slow. He didn't run away he just moved his limbs to avoid the brush. He basically remained in the same spot. It's like he didn't want to be moving. I'd been anticipating a molt so I'm assuming it has to do with that. Is it normal for them to be conserving energy just prior to a molt?

Any other thoughts?
My GBB sling actually acted very similar prior to its last molt. After the molt (a week or so after) it was its usual self again.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
View attachment 236113 Yes, of course. I have a fair bit of experience with molts, but I guess I've always discovered my T's on their back or having already completed the molt. This situation was new to me.

I suspected premolt and it stopped eating a week ago. I've just been waiting and checking, but was surprised at what I found.

I wish I had stuck around for a while longer I would have witnessed the whole event. Pesky bedtime routine! Lol
I replied before reading the whole thread. Glad the little guy is ok :)

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
Yes he's fine. Looking back at it and as can be seen in the photo he actually molted and wasn't in an upside-down position. He secured himself to his webbing and pushed out upwards, resulting in him falling of his web and into the substrate.

Is this type of molt common?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yes he's fine. Looking back at it and as can be seen in the photo he actually molted and wasn't in an upside-down position. He secured himself to his webbing and pushed out upwards, resulting in him falling of his web and into the substrate.

Is this type of molt common?
No people have lost T's like that. Add more substrate.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Does a T that small really have enough mass to injure itself from a fall?
Short answer : do you want to take the chance?

Unfortunately in the community it has been found that terrestrial tarantulas can break their exoskeleton when they fall from a height. The current assumed safe height above substrate to the top of the enclosure is 1.5 times the T's diagonal legspan. Personally I give my ggb more than that but not all that much more.

antsman

Arachnosquire
Mine is currently doing the same except she's been refusing food for a week or so now. Slow and lethargic, but she will kick some hairs if I touch her.
She also hasn't webbed very much.