GBB fell during molt

Charlie1906

Arachnopeon
Hello, what a first post to make!

I'm a very novice keeper (having started around 5 months ago) and only got my second tarantula about 2 weeks ago, a Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens), around 5-7cm (2 inches). I gave it a hide, enough substrate to dig and some branches to web from. Anyway as soon as I got it it started webbing between the branches and corner of the enclosure, it didn't even entertain the hide or substrate. It rejected any food I have offered and 2 weeks later when I got in from work today it was upside down having it's first molt with me. Awesome. I checked back on it an hour or two later and I saw it was out of it's molt but both it and the molt had fallen about 1 inch to the floor from it's web. The T is currently upside down with it's legs curled into itself tightly. I don't see anything noticeably wrong like fluids from a ruptured abdomen or something but it is difficult to tell with it being upside down, legs curled in and a molt right next to it, and I don't want to disturb it so soon after molting if I don't have to.

I looked for similar topics but could only find the one and I'm not quite sure what I'm asking to be honest. I guess I'm just worried. Do I just wait and see?

Cheers.

fatalgecko

Arachnopeon
In order to get any solid advice you need to post a clear picture of the T. and the Enclosure. and give more details. How long has it been on its back for? Is it Moving at all? have you messed with it?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
In all honesty, all you can really do is wait and see. If you don't observe any obvious physical problems (cut, leaking fluids, etc.) I, personally, would leave it alone for a few hours and then check on it. There's very little you're likely to be able to do to HELP but lots you can do to HURT it right now.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
If by upside down, you mean lying on its back, they do spend quite a good few minutes after moulting lying with their legs tightly curled inwards. They occasionally flex them, and will eventually flip back over upright.

You posted this half an hour ago, so im assuming you've seen some movement by now.

Charlie1906

Arachnopeon
Sorry my phone isn't wanting to upload pics for some reason, I really need to upgrade it. It's been on it's back for around an hour now after it's fall, maybe a little more. I haven't seen it move and I haven't messed with it or the enclosure in any way.

Yes I mean it is laying on it's back, and it still is like that with no visible signs of movement. It could have flexed as I'm not watching it all the time.

I figured it would be a waiting game. I want to help it but I know I would do more harm than good :( Thanks for the replies so far :)

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Doesn't sound good I'm afraid, hopefully it's just stunned from the fall.
All you can do is put 1 small drop of water on its mouthparts (try not to disturb it when lifting the lid etc) and wait it out.
Shame you can't upload a photo

Charlie1906

Arachnopeon
Got pics to finally save to my laptop but they aren't the best sorry. My phone just doesn't want to focus.

The first pic is when I first saw it down from the web. The white light is where it's web is and where it fell from. It's separated from the molt but they are so close together, and the tarantula is still on it's back.
The second pic was just taken roughly 2 hours after it has fallen and is far blurrier unfortunately, but it's the best I can take. It has moved but it only righted itself and it looks like a death curl :(

WP_20200606_22_30_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20200606_23_47_38_Pro.jpg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Got pics to finally save to my laptop but they aren't the best sorry. My phone just doesn't want to focus.

The first pic is when I first saw it down from the web. The white light is where it's web is and where it fell from. It's separated from the molt but they are so close together, and the tarantula is still on it's back.
The second pic was just taken roughly 2 hours after it has fallen and is far blurrier unfortunately, but it's the best I can take. It has moved but it only righted itself and it looks like a death curl :(

View attachment 347834

View attachment 347836
Continue to leave it be.
It's quite common for them to sit in a "death curl" like pose after molting. It's likely very weak right now, disturbing it at all isn't a good idea

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Molting is very strenuous and T's can lay motionless for long periods afterwards. Just leave it be. You could dribble some water right next to it, but that is about all I would recommend.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
It could have knocked itself against the waterdish when falling, causing it to be slower to recover
However picture 1 shows it on its back, picture 2 shows it upright in the position they assume (like a tight stress position) after flipping back upright following a moult .
Doesn't look dead to me!

Quick edit: I mentioned putting one drop of water on its mouth as in your previous post you'd said it was still on its back. Happily it's now upright so no need. Looks ok to me.

Charlie1906

Arachnopeon
I really appreciate the replies, thank you! I'm still worried but I'll continue leaving it alone and see what happens tomorrow morning.

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
That second pic is not a death curl, it's the more stressy kind when they're done molting , all tucked up. Leave it be , seems okay

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All this looks normal having raised many GBBs. Nothing reads as odd etc even for Ts in generals, including pics.

Enjoy

Charlie1906

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the delayed reply.

It's doing well! It "played" with the molt until it was a mangled mess and did the usual post molt stuff. At first I thought one of it's legs wasn't right as in a relaxed state it's second front right leg was tucked under the body and pointing out to the left but it looked like a one off and all is fine now. I'll look at feeding it tomorrow.

I'm sure you guys get so many people panicking about their T like me and I'm sorry for making yet another topic, but thanks for putting my mind at ease.