GBB Enclosure

lackdawa

Arachnosquire
Sometime before I got my GBB I was led to believe they're an arboreal species, after further research they're actually just a terrestrial heavy-webbing species. I've kept my GBB in an arboreal setup since I've gotten them, they've molted twice, never refused a feeding with the exception of premolt, every time they have refused food they molt 3-4 weeks later. After learning more about their husbandry I'm curious if it would be appropriate to rehouse them into a terrestrial enclosure with several anchor points, would this be a good idea, and what are some suggestions of enclosure sizes and where to get them from?

Also, I keep their substrate dry and occasionally add a little drop of water on their webbing, and of course, I provide a water dish which I refill regularly.

GBB is 2" unsexed.

Attachments

8 legged

Arachnoprince
In my opinion, you don't have to make an extra purchase now. You can continue to use it until the spider grows out of the current enclosure. Chromatopelmas use the space they get without any visible disadvantages. If they actually want to dig, you have provided a substrate despite everything.
When the GBB gets bigger then I would recommend a terrarium for ground dwellers!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They do well in most enclosure set ups really. They just web what they need. You can rehouse her into a more terrestrial set up but it's not urgent. I would stop dribble water on its webbing though, these guys really don't like too much moisture. Just a waterdish is fine.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
f it would be appropriate to rehouse them into a terrestrial enclosure with several anchor points, would this be a good idea,
Yea this would be more appropriate and a good idea to house it as a terrestrial.
this is an example of a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens enclosure that I think I put a give or rake 2in one in. Mdesigns 5x7x5 I think. You could use a 4x4 amac also depending on size. It’s probably not super urgent but for me I like things to be appropriate per needs of species. Plus there’s no harm in rehousing for you or it

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After learning more about their husbandry I'm curious if it would be appropriate to rehouse them into a terrestrial enclosure with several anchor points
Sounds like a crazy idea- I mean crazy :rofl: ;)

If your research has found they are terrestrial then why are you asking at all?

lackdawa

Arachnosquire
Yea this would be more appropriate and a good idea to house it as a terrestrial.
this is an example of a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens enclosure that I think I put a give or rake 2in one in. Mdesigns 5x7x5 I think. You could use a 4x4 amac also depending on size. It’s probably not super urgent but for me I like things to be appropriate per needs of species. Plus there’s no harm in rehousing for you or it
Would a 5.5 x 6.6 x 5 (LxWxH) be good?

Baby T

Arachnoknight
This was my first T I got and I too read the 'semi aboreal' husbandry advice. I kept mine in an arboreal set up until I discovered it was actually a terrestrial species. I say rehouse now. They don't do badly in an arboreal enclosure but there's always a fall risk even though I've heard they're better climbers than many terrestrial...
Few inches of sub and anchor points and it'll have some fun webbing.
I also never put water drops on the web, imo keep completely bone dry with a water dish

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This was my first T I got and I too read the 'semi aboreal' husbandry advice. I kept mine in an arboreal set up until I discovered it was actually a terrestrial species. I say rehouse now. They don't do badly in an arboreal enclosure but there's always a fall risk even though I've heard they're better climbers than many terrestrial...
Few inches of sub and anchor points and it'll have some fun webbing.
I also never put water drops on the web, imo keep completely bone dry with a water dish
Sometimes I’ve added water drops, or let it pool like a dish. Why? Because Ts don’t always use a dish.

Sometimes I use the water drops as a means of making a trail to the dish.

You can never trust a T to constantly use a water dish- they don’t.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Sometimes I’ve added water drops, or let it pool like a dish. Why? Because Ts don’t always use a dish.

Sometimes I use the water drops as a means of making a trail to the dish.

You can never trust a T to constantly use a water dish- they don’t.
I guess in the wild giant pipettes come down from the sky!! Insert sarcasm. Don't scold me! 😜

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I guess in the wild giant pipettes come down from the sky!! Insert sarcasm. Don't scold me! 😜
You know there is such a thing as rain, has been known to happen from time to time lol 😝

Baby T

Arachnoknight
You know there is such a thing as rain, has been known to happen from time to time lol 😝
Rain? Never heard of it, I'm from the UK! 😂

I was just making a joke as viper was suggesting making a trail of water so the T could find it's water dish and usually he's like

THEY DON'T GET HELP IN THE WILD

Which I agree with btw!

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Rain? Never heard of it, I'm from the UK! 😂

I was just making a joke as viper was suggesting making a trail of water so the T could find it's water dish and usually he's like

THEY DON'T GET HELP IN THE WILD

Which I agree with btw!
At least y’all get snow sometimes! I’m from California, the frick is rain? 😂

Baby T

Arachnoknight
At least y’all get snow sometimes! I’m from California, the frick is rain? 😂
Oh you want some snow do ya! Well gimme some of that sweet yellow nectar and you can have my 5 days of snow we had this winter!! 😂